My Outlook 2007 keeps crashing (actually refuses to open completely) and giving me this error messag

• Thread starter Edi1gr
  • Start date Views 3,372
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edi1gr

This is the error message.

Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. "Microsoft Office Outlook" exited without properly closing your Outlook Data file "C:\Ed"sBackup\40gb\N360_BACKUP\Drive_C\Documents and Settings\Ed Greenfield\Local Settings\Application

Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst"."Microsoft Office Outlook" must be restarted. If this error message recurs, contact support for "Microsoft Office Outlook" for assistance.

I restarted Outlook, or tried to 3 times, then rebooted once, then shut my computer down and brought it back up- Finally this time it tried to start and it seemed it got a lot of the way thru opening- and then bingo the error message popped up and it shut down.

So I ran the Office diagnostics and got this:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package “EnterpriseWW.msi" in the box below.

Use source: C:\MSOCache\All Users\{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C\-

So I finally installed the copy of office 2007 Enterprise edition and let it run the repair module, it did its thing- and said it was successful and at first it looked like it did but within 5 minutes –bang! it shut down with the same thing again.

Please Help me. I use Outlook for just about everything and being disabled this is a catastrophe for me.

Ed Greenfield Edi1gr@gmail.com

E

Edi1gr

Hello Russ,

Sorry for the delay. Here is what's been going on:

I cannot open my Outlook 2007 enterprise edition again. Below is a summary of what I have tried so far, including your suggestions – Please understand this is my my main to do list, appointment list, and generally speaking since I am disabled 'my brain', please help. First to answer your question the location of this file is on my computer, it is just in a folder that I brought over from a previous computer and it has worked fine for well over a year.

Now to bring you up to speed. A few months ago I contacted you because I couldn"t open my Outlook 2007 and received the following message:

Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened.'Microsoft Office Outlook' exited without properly closing your Outlook data file 'C\Ed's Backup\40gb\N360_BACKUP\Drive_C\Documents and Settings\Ed Greenfield\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst'. 'Microsoft Office Outlook' must be restarted. If this error message recurs, contact support for 'Microsoft Office Outlook' for assistance.

After trying to repair it on my own and having no luck I contacted you. With your help, I followed your instructions and fixed the problem. It has worked fine since then. A few days ago it decided to do it again with a different error message.

Now, I can drive this machine but I am a true layman. However, that being said I make a great robot as long as one can give me specific detailed instructions. I am using Office 2007 enterprise edition, on a Windows 7 home premium, with a 64 bit OS. Let me preface this by saying that the location of this file is a carryover from a previous computer and has worked fine for over a year. But now it won't open, instead I get the following message:

Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file 'C\Ed's Backup\40gb\N360_BACKUP\Drive_C\Documents and Settings\Ed Greenfield\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst'. Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox repair tool, see help.

fyi at first,I ran Microsoft Office Diagnostics and the result was-no problems detected. Then I went into the Inbox repair tool and entered the above file, and it tried to start but then it gave me this message:

An unexpected error prevented access to this file. Use Scandisk to check the disk for errors, and then try using the Inbox repair tool again.

Now, I have run the scandisk (by rebooting the system) and got the same group of messages as a result; so I did it two more times, again result-no difference?! It still won't open. Then using your suggestions, I tried the following:

I created a new outlook pst; and fyi- this one opened just fine and worked but when I tried to put the pst in question in there, it crashed and I got the "unexpected error" message.

I tried opening it in safe mode, nope.

I tried using the repair module in the original installation disc, it thought it worked, but nothing changed.

I don"t think this is the cause or that it will help but the size of the pst"s seems to be an issue of sorts as I have been reading and this particular file is 2,282,113 kb. I also don"t think the size has changed that much over the past two to four weeks when it still worked.

A few new items of information that might help or hurt but maybe important:
I have the hard drive backed up on a separate drive using an external 750gb drive with a program called Click Free. I also tried importing the pst involved from there- but all I got was the same error message- so either it wouldn't or the back up has the same issue with that file.

So far I have created the new outlook file and it automatically downloaded all the stuff that has been sitting in my gmail box online for the past few days since this fiasco began. (fyi I have 4-5 different email addresses and forward all of them automatically into my Outlook into their individual folders in my Personal folder.)
Someone said to drag a folder into the new PST file- how do i do that? and where is the new pst file? I pretty much know where the old ones are (oh and first which outlook file/folder do i rename old and where may i find it?) If i import the old one into the new when won't it erase what is already in the new one i.e. the stuff that just got downloaded? Also regarding the 4-5 other addresses that I have in the old outlook- how do i get those into the new one? or because they are in the old pst file will they automatically come along for the ride?

On a similar note, i did a search for pst files in my computer and in my backup- in my computer there are 45 and in the back up there are 157. I have had these files of information going back to 1998 and have moved it, copied it, and so on, as i have updated computers. I never thought of looking for other pst files until this crash. I am wondering if after this fiasco is repaired, can i consolidate them into one profile?

btw- what is the difference whether i copy or import outlook pst files? If I import does it move the original files or move them to the new location? I want to try and see if it works but am afraid to lose the information if it doesn't.

I apologize for the length of this, but i am trying to be all inclusive. Some of my disabilities include A.D.D. and short term memory loss which is amplified by severe distract-ability; so if i repeated myself or rambled, I am sorry. But you can see why this is so important to me.

Once again Please Help.

Happy Holidays,

Edi G.

R

Russ Valentine

My initial question still remains and it is now even more important to answer it. Explain why this is the path to your PST file: 'C\Ed's Backup\40gb\N360_BACKUP\Drive_C\Documents and Settings\Ed Greenfield\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst'

Outlook would never create or use such a path. I still think you are using some automated backup program that keeps corrupting your PST file. Stop using it. There is absolutely no reason you should have 45 PST files and 157 backups. Something is corrupting your Outlook profile and it isn't Outlook.

Russ Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.