Force Outlook 2010 to access Exchange Server ?

• Thread starter Patrick Oliveros [MVP]
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Patrick Oliveros [MVP]

Hello!

We installed Office 2010 from our VS2010 MSDN Premium subscription but after the installation has occurred, Outlook 2010 tells that the administrator has blocked Outlook 2010 from connecting to the Exchange Server. I am wondering if there's a turnaround to make Outlook 2010 work?

My officemate installed the program first and his steps are the following:

Launch Office 2010 installation with existing Office 2007 installed. Selected upgrade, delete existing Office 2007 installations EXCEPT Outlook 2007 (programs installed are Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook)Technically, Office 2007 runtime is still in his machine. After installation, he restarted the computer and Outlook 2010 worked.

In my case, I followed the same, Outlook 2010 was blocked from Exchange Server. I am not sure with the version of Exchange server but would there be any tweaks to address this?

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

You can't have two versions of Outlook installed side-by-side in the same OS session (you can have two on the same machine if one is in a VM). Outlook doesn't like it and unpredictable problems can result. Make sure to uninstall Outlook 2007 before (or while) installing Outlook 2010.

Can you ping your Exchange server by name from the affected workstation? How are you connecting to the Exchange server? (LAN? VPN? Outlook Anywhere?)

P

Patrick Oliveros [MVP]

Thanks for the reply. The steps my officemate took was the one I mentioned to you. Supposedly, that WON'T UPGRADE Outlook 2007 and instead the rest of the suite programs but Outlook would still be 2007. What happened to my officemate's machine was the installation updated also Outlook that's why he was able to use Outlook 2010 using the same exchange server where my account is connected. I was wondering if there's a way, say to impersonate Outlook 2010 as Outlook 2007 to make it work in the exchange server.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Well, if you upgrade the whole suite, INCLUDING deleting Outlook 2007, it should upgrade your existing Outlook 2007 profile to Outlook 2010. Deleting the program doesn't delete your profile. Outlook 2010 should then connect to the Exchange server the way Outlook 2007 did.

Have you consulted with your Exchange admins to get their assistance on connecting your Outlook 2010 to the Exchange server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D How to force full message download for all Gmail messages in all folders with IMAP in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
S Force Outlook to use TCP Using Outlook 1
A How can I force Outlook 2003 to use A4 paper? Using Outlook 6
G Macro to Force Filing of Outlook Inbox Using Outlook 9
B Programmatically force html send and insert clipboard contents into body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Force account selection for sending reply emails Using Outlook 1
C Force account selection - no reg path nor can create one Using Outlook 9
D Updating Registry to force new task and note items to save in a particular folder Using Outlook 1
C Defer email delivery - but when force sent using F9 Using Outlook 1
R Force use of general outbox Using Outlook 1
F force new meetings and appointments to send from my IMAP account Using Outlook 7
J Force the 'From' account Using Outlook 1
T Copied Contact Does Not Update With Active Directory Information Changes Immediately. How Do I Force Update? Using Outlook 1
M Re: How to force routing between two internal smtp domains across Two Edge servers Exchange Server Administration 7
M How to force routing between two internal smtp domains across Two Edge servers Exchange Server Administration 3
R Some emails force a crash when opened or viewed in the reading pane. Using Outlook 4
GregS Outlook 2016 Move Outlook to new computer? Using Outlook 1
I Outlook 2003 shows html code when To: field is empty Using Outlook 5
O The Outlook API wrongfully shows an outlook folder to have zero sub-folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O The Outlook API wrongfully shows an outlook folder to have zero sub-folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C All Gmails don't show in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2007 vs. Outlook 2010 -- ToDo Bar Using Outlook 0
U Outlook 2016 Outlook 2016 sender name Using Outlook 1
T Compuserve, Yahoo, Oath2 and Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 4
E Work uses live accounts for emails for all employees. Can we use the outlook calendar to give the employees an universal work schedule calendar? Using Outlook 1
witzker Macro to move @domain.xx of a Spammail to Blacklist in Outlook 2019 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
D Outlook 2007 on 365 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
S Macro for other actions - Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 19
P outlook 2008 search box criteria couldn't be saved Using Outlook 2
pcunite Outlook 2019/O365 Build 13127.20408 errors when using MAPI calls Using Outlook 1
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2010 Outlook in Windows 10 keeps asking for user name and password repeatedly Using Outlook 14
S Outlook mail adressing stops after first match in GAL Using Outlook 0
A Apply Selected Emails to outlook rules and Run Rules Using Outlook 5
T Changing Sent Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 0
J How do I disable advertising in Outlook 2019? Using Outlook 13
S Outlook (2016 32bit; Gmail IMAP) - Save sent message to Outllook Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Unable to Sync Web/Android MS To Do with Windows Outlook Tasks Using Outlook 3
S Macro to move “Re:” & “FWD:” email recieved the shared inbox to a subfolder in outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook Macro to send auto acknowledge mail only to new mails received to a specific shared inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook Macro to move reply mail based on the key word in the subjectline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Outlook Calendar not coming down from cloud Using Outlook 2
Terry Sullivan Sender's Name Doesn't Appear in the From Field on Outlook 365/IMAP Using Outlook 2
GregS Outlook 2016 Can I disable the Outlook Outbox? Using Outlook 2
P Outlook pst file is too huge with POP3. How to save more space? Using Outlook 4
D Outlook Contacts Notes Field Photos to Smartphone Using Outlook 0
Paula S. Outlook 2013 won't recognize new password Using Outlook 4
J Want to learn VBA Macros for Outlook. What book can you recommend? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Backup Email Accounts On OutLook For Mac 2016 (Microsoft 365 subscription version) Using Outlook 0
J Time Zone Issues - Outlook Calendar and Webcal Feed Using Outlook 8