Transfer email group to another computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sob711

I have my contacts on one computer which also has Groups.

A second computer is set up in a similar way.

I make updates to a group on first computer OK.

I would like to update this same group on computer # 2 but don't know how to do this.

I tried to export my contact list from first computer to second, but this transfers the entire contact list and does nothing to update the Group I am concerned about.

Computer #1 is running Windows 7, computer # 2 has XP

Any suggestions?

R

Russ Valentine

Outlook 2007 has nothing called groups. I assume you mean Distribution lists. DL's are routinely trashed when you use export to transfer Outlook data. There is never any reason to use export. Just copy your data file so the information will remain intact. Or you can email the DL's by attaching them as an Outlook Item to a message in RTF format.Russ Valentine

S

sob711

OK, I hope I have it straight; what were called groups in outlook express are called distribution lists in outlook.

I have an up-to-date DL on computer # 1.

I want to copy that DL to computer # 2.

Where is the data file for that DL located so I can copy it?

Hope I am making myself clear.

Appreciate your patience and help

S

sob711

Thanks very much. It looks like I am finally on the right track. However, I still have a couple of questions:

I have 2 email accounts (identical) on each computer. When I open Data File Management on computer #2 (XP) I get one .pst file which seems great.

But when I open DFM on computer # 1 (Windows 7) there are 2 pst files; one for each email account. I don't want to mess up so would like to know how to proceed.

R

Russ Valentine

That doesn't seem right. You said you are using Outlook 2007. Outlook 2007 doesn't create separate PST files for each mail account. Only Outlook 2010 does that. Verify your versions and tell us how you want to proceed: do you want separate data files or not?Russ Valentine

S

sob711

Here's what happened:

On computer # 1, I did install Outlook 2010, but found I was confusing myself. I uninstalled Outlook 2010 but apparently, some of the setup(?) profiles or whatever. remained. I'd like the simper setup, i.e. a single .pst file. Can we do that?

Sorry to cause such problems. Believe me I do appreciate your help.

G

Gordon B-P

That doesn't seem right. You said you are using Outlook 2007. Outlook 2007 doesn't create separate PST files for each mail account.

Does if they are IMAP accounts....

If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!

S

sob711

Please refer to my earlier reply. I did have outlook 2010 installed and apparently it set up with 2 pst files and they showed up even if I opened outlook 2007. I have since removed outlook 2010 but some of the 2010 features seem to have remained.

R

Russ Valentine

Wow. The plot thickens. That was a lot of information that was left out. Whenever you change Outlook versions you must create a new profile because Outlook will continue to use the profile settings from the previous version. Before you do that make sure you deceide which PST file you want to use and connect the new profile to it as the default.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918&Product=out2003

Russ Valentine

R

Russ Valentine

Does if they are IMAP accounts....

If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!

Considered that, but that doesn't fit. If he were using IMAP, then both Outlook 2007 and 2010 would have had 2 PST files. I knew Outlook 2010 had to be in the picture somewhere here.Russ Valentine

S

sob711

Not sure what to do next. I'm thinking I should try to fix computer # 2 (XP and sort of a backup for main computer # 1, to make sure my Contacts are reasonably current). When this is done, should I then uninstall Outlook from # 1 and then reinstall or do I do a repair/install?

R

Russ Valentine

Cannot advise without a very clear description of exactly what you want to do on each of these partitions.Russ Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.