" Instead of Email Recipient Names in Outlook 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HLHorwitz

Oftentimes when I send an email in Outlook 2003, the email recipient's name appears as a quotation mark rather than the recipient's name appearing. I must fix this by highlighting the quotation mark, selecting " properties" , deleting the quotation mark, replacing it with the recipient's name, and then saving the message. I have created no rules that would cause this. Any suggestions?

R

Russ Valentine

Suggest posting some information. We have no clue how you are selecting the recipient. Seems like something we should know. This is not an Outlook problem.Russ Valentine

H

HLHorwitz

Thank you. As an example, yesterday I wanted to send a new email that followed up on a prior email I had sent to a client of mine. I thus selected my most recent email to the client, hit reply to all, and then deleted my own name as a recipient of the email I was about to draft. This left my client's name as the sole proposed recipient of the new email. I then composed the new email and hit send. The new email then was transmitted without issue. During this entire process, the client/recipient's email address/name was fully and completely displayed as the " to" recipient. However, after the email was successfully sent, the " sent" copy of this email displayed the recipient as " rather than displaying the email address/name. As a fix, I can then highlight the " in the sent email, select properties, and then manually delete and replace the " with the proper email address/name. But what is causing sent copies of emails to display recipients as " ? My address book has the correct recipient address and name, and I have created no rule that would cause this. Suggestions or thoughts?

R

Russ Valentine

So you are selecting the recipient by using " Reply?" Correct? And the email still gets sent correctly, right?

In that case I would suspect the Contact Record for the recipient in question has become corrupt. This can happen if you ever sync Contacts or have ever imported them. Open the Contact Record for the recipient and examine the " Email Display As" field.

Russ Valentine

H

HLHorwitz

None of the Contact records reflect the " or any corruption. To the contrary, each Contact Record " Email Display As" field correctly reflects the contact's name and/or email address, which as mentioned also initially appears in the " to" column of emails until the email is transmitted, at which point the recipient then inexplicably appears as " . Any further thoughts would be much appreciated.

R

Russ Valentine

Only other thought is corruption of your autocompletion entries. Try deleting your cache. Suspect there is still more to your story. Are you saying you do not sync your Contacts? Is there anything that is not working or is this a cosmetic issue?Russ Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Change VBA script to send HTML email instead of text Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
I How to display sender's name instead of email address in outlook 2013 message Using Outlook 5
S Create task with email URL instead of attachment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
R Outlook 2010 Send from other email address uses account address instead Using Outlook 1
R When attaching XLS file to email, it switches to Excel (if already opened) instead of attaching the file Using Outlook 2
C Scheduled meeting delivers an email instead of a meeting notice. Using Outlook 2
R I cannot click a http: link in an Outlook 2003 email and have it go to the link. Instead of opening Using Outlook 1
A How to see email address instead of name Using Outlook 1
S Suggestion: Email recipients (To, Cc, Bcc) at bottom instead of the top of composition frame Using Outlook 1
H Group Contacts in one email instead of typing in indivually Using Outlook 2
D Re: Outlook profile name shows email instead of displayname configured in exchange server Using Outlook 2
S Email header: Sender name shows up as squares instead of text. Using Outlook 1
W My inbox now displays who the email is sent to, instead of who the email is from. How do I change it back so it shows who it is from ? Using Outlook 3
M Delete key in form region textbox deleting email instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
H Upon opening Outlook, make my popmail inbox open instead of outlook.com inbox Using Outlook 1
A Sending contact vcards sends older version instead of updated version Using Outlook 4
V Emails going into Drafts instead of Sent folder Using Outlook 3
G How to have domain client use owa server instead of exchange server while connect to network Using Outlook 1
N open the hyperlink in Outlook directly instead of browser Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky The custom form cannot be opened. Outlook will use an Outlook form instead. New Slipstick.com Articles 0
R can I transfer outlook data from old pc by using .ost file instead of the .pst Using Outlook 5
C How to "host" the outlook calendar from .pst instead of Exchange Server Using Outlook 1
K Office 365 - Contacts Sort First, Last instead of Last, First. How to Reset? Using Outlook 4
Z Making Outlook Default folders to local/personal instead of Hotmail Using Outlook 8
E vCalendar Meeting Requests sending updates instead of sending new invitation Using Outlook 24
D Line through message instead of sending to Delete folder??? Using Outlook 3
T Header instead of just a signature for a disclaimer Using Outlook 1
P Outlook send invitation in rtf-format instead of html-format Using Outlook 20
B want to change the calendar format so that it goes from left to right Sunday - Saturday instead of monday - sunday Using Outlook 2
L When I click on links within Outlook they always go to my website's homepage instead of going to the correct url. Using Outlook 2
D My attachments are being open in windows media player instead of pdf Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2007 prompting for credentials using 'OUTLOOK\' as the domain instead of ours Exchange Server Administration 0
B Outlook 2010 popup "A custom form can not be opened. Outlook will use an Outlook form instead. The Using Outlook 2
I Outlook 2007 showing 2 e-mail addresses instead of 1 when sending e-mail to recipients using Outlook 2007. Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2010 printing a column per page instead of the month Using Outlook 1
G Outlook 2003 displaying x400 instead of E-mail address when viewing Exchange 2010 GAL Exchange Server Administration 6
B Outlook for Mac 2011 filters messages to 'Deleted Items' instead of to IMAP folder. Using Outlook 1
E Exchange 2010 SP1 Internet calendar generated links are http instead of https Exchange Server Administration 1
O Emails crossed-off instead of deleted. Using Outlook 1
C ICal.ics files creating new calendar instead of opening into current calendar. Using Outlook 3
O Outlook 2007: Emails that have .gifs are displaying as hyperlinks instead of images. Using Outlook 3
K Messages not sending from outbox and show 'none' instead of date - Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 4
S What to Use Instead a Hardware-based Load Balancer for an Exchange 2010 CAS Array Exchange Server Administration 21
S For forwarding emails, HTML special character codes displaying code instead of character Using Outlook 1
P Room button in Outlook 2007 / 2010 shows GAL instead of All Rooms addresslist Using Outlook 8
M News button suddenly opens Windows folder instead of Outlook Express Using Outlook 3
D While editing text, already typed text disappears instead of moving ahead to allow for the new text. Using Outlook 2
A messages in plain text instead of html Using Outlook 1
H Address card shows full name instead of file as Using Outlook 11
T Why does my hotmail open up microsoft office outlook instead of windows live hotmail Using Outlook 2