Outlook says the PST files is in use by another program - but it is not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MikeDMorrison

I am trying to connect to a PST file I was using yesterday, but today I get the message the file is in use by another program - it is not?? how can i reset this so I can access it

thanks in advanced

B

Brian Tillman

Do you have any handheld deviced cradled? Do you have indexing on a desktop search configured to include Outlook? Do you have an antivirus program scanning the PST? If you open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and examine the Processes tab, do you see OUTLOOK.EXE there even when you believe Outlook is closed?

R

Ruchi Bisht

Try the steps mentioned below.

1. Close Outlook.

2. Hit the ALT+CTRL+DELETE key on the key board and select the Task manager.

3. Click on the process tab at the top ->look for Outlook .exe and click end process.

4. Open Outlook.

5. Click on File->Open->Outlook data file.

6. Select the PST file and click open

Ruchi Bisht

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Outlook will not open... Says Outlook2.pst is not a personal folder file Using Outlook 9
Horsepower Google says Outlook 2016 is not a secure app Using Outlook 4
M godaddy says my outlook's sending spam. Using Outlook 4
J Installed outlook and it says not installed Using Outlook 2
K trying to sync my samsung galaxy to my outlook 2010 calender. it says execution privilege prevents me from accessing outlook Using Outlook 1
P I have microsoft outlook express 6.0 and an error keeps poping up talking about an add-in. the error says the add-in outlook connector extensions (msn Using Outlook 2
P Outlook says it's 'Sending' when it's opening. Nothing was in the Outbox for it to send. Using Outlook 2
P Outlook Backup Tool says 'files not open' Using Outlook 2
M In my microsoft outlook I cannot receive. The error says my email address on server in incorrect. It Using Outlook 1
B Windows 7 Home Premium installed but Outlook says invalid product key Using Outlook 2
P When I try to send an email through outlook it has an error message, it says enter network password Using Outlook 2
P when i try to mail from outlook I get an error message that says enter your network password. Using Outlook 1
L trying to load my archived emails into new outlook on new harddrive. error message says I do not have permission Using Outlook 2
E Outlook wont run says errors in the user string. Using Outlook 1
G Installed Office 2010 for home and business. All work but OutLook. It will not load. Error screen says that it cannot connect to the email. Using Outlook 2
J I cannot open outlook. It says errors have been detected in the file. It says to run scanpst.exe but__I cannot find it on the computer. Can I get help Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 2007 When I attempt to open a new email, it won't open and says 'not responding' Using Outlook 5
L Outlook 2003 - Says "Sending Message 1 of 1" but there is NOTHING in the Outbox. Using Outlook 1
B outlook will not work says either reload or repair Using Outlook 2
K Everything from my office suite 2010 works except Outlook...It says (Not responding) no matter what I click on. Using Outlook 1
H Office OUtlook 2007 gives error message that says to run scanpst.exe and this is not found on my com Using Outlook 3
M I am having trouble sending my e-mails in Outlook 2007. I can receive them, but not send. My internet provider says they can't help me. What to do? Using Outlook 6
T Outlook wont run up, mail control panel applet says I have run out of resources Using Outlook 16
B Outlook fails - error says execute scanpst.exe but can't find it Using Outlook 8
P outlook 2008 search box criteria couldn't be saved Using Outlook 2
pcunite Outlook 2019/O365 Build 13127.20408 errors when using MAPI calls Using Outlook 0
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2010 Outlook in Windows 10 keeps asking for user name and password repeatedly Using Outlook 12
S Outlook mail adressing stops after first match in GAL Using Outlook 0
A Apply Selected Emails to outlook rules and Run Rules Using Outlook 5
T Changing Sent Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 0
J How do I disable advertising in Outlook 2019? Using Outlook 5
S Outlook (2016 32bit; Gmail IMAP) - Save sent message to Outllook Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Unable to Sync Web/Android MS To Do with Windows Outlook Tasks Using Outlook 3
S Macro to move “Re:” & “FWD:” email recieved the shared inbox to a subfolder in outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook Macro to send auto acknowledge mail only to new mails received to a specific shared inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook Macro to move reply mail based on the key word in the subjectline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Outlook Calendar not coming down from cloud Using Outlook 2
Terry Sullivan Sender's Name Doesn't Appear in the From Field on Outlook 365/IMAP Using Outlook 2
GregS Outlook 2016 Can I disable the Outlook Outbox? Using Outlook 2
P Outlook pst file is too huge with POP3. How to save more space? Using Outlook 4
D Outlook Contacts Notes Field Photos to Smartphone Using Outlook 0
Paula S. Outlook 2013 won't recognize new password Using Outlook 4
J Want to learn VBA Macros for Outlook. What book can you recommend? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Backup Email Accounts On OutLook For Mac 2016 (Microsoft 365 subscription version) Using Outlook 0
J Time Zone Issues - Outlook Calendar and Webcal Feed Using Outlook 8
J Are the underlined letters in Outlook Reminders window supposed to work? Using Outlook 0
M Office 2016 Outlook is forgetting passwords Using Outlook 14
G How to add a folder shortcut to outlook quick access toolbar? Using Outlook 6
W Outlook WAS facebook but there is no info for old accounts Using Outlook 0