Outlook 2007 slow to switch view from one folder to another

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lev Seltzer

I have several PST files open at one time in Outlook 2007. The file sizes range from 70mb to 1.2gb. Until recently, everything was working normally. About 2 days ago something happened and now when I click on a different folder, Outlook takes about 15 seconds to generate the new view. During this time Outlook is completely inaccessible (with the equivalent of the hourglass cursor).

I have run scanpst and then "compact now" on all PST files. The speed is still the same. I ran Office Diagnostics, but there were no errors. I went into Outlook Safe Mode and the speed was the same.

I do not know what is causing this problem, or how to diagnose it further. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

G

Gérard Oomens [MVP]

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 06:27:44 +0000, Lev Seltzer wrote:

I have several PST files open at one time in Outlook 2007. The file sizes range from 70mb to 1.2gb. Until recently, everything was working normally. About 2 days ago something happened and now when I click on a different folder, Outlook takes about 15 seconds to generate the new view. During this time Outlook is completely inaccessible (with the equivalent of the hourglass cursor).

See if this applies:
http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tips/2412171.html

Gérard

R

raideon

My Outlook 2007 is doing the same thing! this started after the last Windows update 12/15/2010, all was ok up until the windows update on my Vista ultimate fully updated. This is switching to any folder or size..

Thanks for the link... Guess I'll wait a few for an update...

Thanks

K

KrazeyKami

This is interesting... I recently moved my %AppData% from my SSD to a normal 7200 RPM drive. My Outlook files are on that 7200 RPM drive as well, and i did notice the slow folder response in Outlook since a few days... i thought it was due to my recent change of %AppData%, so i decided to redirect it back to my SSD drive. But no dice, it's still slow.

Thanks for the link, explains a lot.

L

Lev Seltzer

The fix worked. But then sometime between 2am and 5am my computer did an automatic update (with a reboot) and put the Outlook Update back in!

Is there a way to keep this update out from my computer (I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit).

Thank you

K

KrazeyKami

The fix worked. But then sometime between 2am and 5am my computer did an automatic update (with a reboot) and put the Outlook Update back in!

Is there a way to keep this update out from my computer (I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit).

Thank you

Microsoft has taken the update out of their Update Servers, so the update won't be automaticly redistributed.Certified: MCTS 2008 - MCSA 2003: Messaging - MCDST - CompTIA A+ Core - CCNA - ITIL - Aries Server+ Technician -

L

Lev Seltzer

The update occured on my computer about 7 hours ago. Has it been taken off since then?

K

KrazeyKami

The update occured on my computer about 7 hours ago. Has it been taken off since then?

Presumably. I removed the update just an hour ago, and i checked for new updates about 5 minutes back. No new updates (apart from a Silverlight update) where found.

The update that you want to watch out for is the "Update for Microsoft Outlook 2007 - 2412171".

If, by any chance, u want to exclude an update (now or in the future), u can do the following:

- Go to the properties of My Computer
- Click on Windows Updates (lower left corner)
- Right Click on the listed update, and choose "Hide Update"

This update will be greyed out now and hidden from further update requests.

If you want to restore this, u can choose "Restore Hidden Updates" in the left pane.

Certified: MCTS 2008 - MCSA 2003: Messaging - MCDST - CompTIA A+ Core - CCNA - ITIL - Aries Server+ Technician - LinkedIn: http://nl.linkedin.com/in/jeroendebonte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z "Mark All as Read" in Outlook 2007 extremely slow Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2007 - Slow opening folders when inserting attachments Using Outlook 2
N outlook 2007 slow with signed e-mails Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2007 Slow Since Office 2010 Installed Using Outlook 1
G Outlook 2007 is Slow Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2007 is very slow to switch between mail, contacts, and calendar. Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 2007 increadibly slow after compacting .pst file Using Outlook 4
O Outlook 2007 Ultimate Slow after December Update Using Outlook 8
H Outlook 2007 slow folder content display after installing kb2412171 Using Outlook 33
S Outlook 2007 isvery slow and non resonsive in Windows 7 Pro Using Outlook 2
M Shared Calenders very slow, Exchange 2007 with Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
Z Outlook 2007 + Windows 7 + LDAP = Extremly slow mail sending Using Outlook 2
F outlook 2007 too slow Using Outlook 12
A Outlook 2007 - Adding an attachment, browsing is slow Using Outlook 1
E Re: LDAP search is very slow with Outlook 2007 running on Windows 7 Using Outlook 1
E LDAP search is very slow with Outlook 2007 running on Windows 7 Using Outlook 1
N outlook 2007 slow with signed e-mail tumbleweed Using Outlook 1
E LDAP search is very slow with Outlook 2007 running on Windows 7 Using Outlook 5
S Windows 7 Outlook 2007 Slow to Receive Using Outlook 11
M Slow performance of Outlook 2007 / Vista Indexing with > 8 GB mailbox Using Outlook 4
S Verwendung von Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 0
A Arthur needs help with 2007 Outlook e-mail Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
S outlook 2007 calendar search Using Outlook 6
B Migrate Outlook 2007 to Office 365 Using Outlook 3
X I have met my waterloo trying to resolve embedded graphics problem with outlook 2007 and now 2016 Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2007 only loads some appointments Using Outlook 0
C Move Outlook 2007 to new PC with Outlook 365 Using Outlook 3
J Outlook 2007 Hide Messages Option not Available Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 2007 Calendar instant search problem. Windows 7 Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2007 Calendar instant search problem. Windows 7 Using Outlook 0
B Server errors Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
S Reboot of frozen windows7 results in changed outlook 2007 settings Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2007 printing wrong email address at top of page Using Outlook 8
M Configure outlook 2007 to accept digital signatures Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2007 crashes when opening an email Using Outlook 2
R New chap saying hello and needing advice on Outlook 2007 thumbnails Using Outlook 3
icacream From Outlook 2007 to 2016 ! Using Outlook 9
vodkasoda Object could not be found Error in Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S Outlook 2007: Address Cards allow entering text! Why? Using Outlook 3
S View Appointment in Text Wrap in Outlook 2007 Month Calendar View Using Outlook 0
L Outlook 2007 Separate the Send/Receive functions Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2007 Contacts Glitch: Creating a new email Using Outlook 1
C Move from Outlook 2007 Enterprise (MOE) to Outlook Pro plus 2007 Using Outlook 1
J reinstalling Outlook 2007 asking for user name & password Using Outlook 14
P outlook addin unloaded in office 2007 Using Outlook 0
B Fonts in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 4
R Add Exchange Account to existing POP3 Outlook 2007 Profile Using Outlook 0
C out of space in file group Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 2
A Moving archived contents in Outlook 2007 back into working folders Using Outlook 0