Cannot access PST file

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

goldeneyez

Opened up MS Outlook 2007 and went to send an email. The following error came up after about 30 seconds. " The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook. Access is denied. Verify the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not being used. "

Then I tried to open up my Inbox subfolders, as they'd " collapsed." I got the following error messgae " Cannot expand the folder. The file {PST file location} is in use and cannot be accessed. Close any open application that is using the file, and the try again. You may need to restart your computer ."

I completed a restart, along with checking for any inadvertent " read-only" permissions (of which there were none). I then started trawling these forums, telling me to use thescanpst utility (which I did). At approximately 90% of phase 1 scan, i got the following message " An unexpected error prevented access to this file. Use a disk error checking program to check the disk, and then try using the MSO Outlook 2007 Inbox Repair Tool again. "

I then ran the built in Error-Checking scan (accessed via the Tools tab in Drive properties) and attempted to usescanpst again, with the same result. I have also attempted starting inSafe Mode and trying to Archive to PST.

I CAN access my inbox (what was there before the error started). The ONLY way I've been able to send/receive emails is by creating another PST file.

The original PST file is only 130MB, so file size is not an issue.

R

Roady [MVP]

Are you able to copy the pst-file to another location when Outlook is closed?

If so, run scanpst.exe against it; do you get the same issue then?

Robert Sparnaaij

G

goldeneyez

Can't copy the pst file. As it nears the end of the copy process, comes up with an error. " Cannot copy {filename}. Cyclic redundancy error "

R

Roady [MVP]

Can't copy the pst file. As it nears the end of the copy process, comes up with an error. " Cannot copy {filename}. Cyclic redundancy error "

That could suggest a hardware issue exactly on the spot where your pst-file is located now. You might want to start recovering what is still recoverable by creating a new pst-file (of course on another disk when possible) and copy over the contents.

More details about this process can be found here;

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/329

As for the hard disk issue; start with making a (file level) backup of all your data that you wish to keep to backup location on a separate drive (a separate partition on the same drive is not enough). After this, you can start troubleshooting your disk. A start on how to do this can be found here;

http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/crcerror.htm

In addition, now would be a great time to look up your warranty information about your disk or (OEM) computer. The disk or computer manufacturer can also help you with diagnostic/recovery utilities specific for your disk and (if needed) replacement parts.

Robert Sparnaaij

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Outlook 2010 Access Denied. Cannot open pst file‏ Using Outlook 6
N cannot access outlook.pst Office 2010 Win 7 Using Outlook 2
J CAN'T WORK WITH OUTLOOK AS I GET 'CANNOT ACCESS OUTLOOK.PST FILE' Using Outlook 3
O The page that you are trying to access cannot be loaded. Using Outlook 0
T Cannot access outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
M Cannot access the Form Editor BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
U Cannot access fields at bottom of Outlook 2013 Contact Rec. Using Outlook 1
P I am getting an error msg = cannot open file access denied Using Outlook 3
H ran scanpst.exe and that fixed most, but cannot access personal folders Using Outlook 1
R Shared Inbox Outlook 2010 - one client cannot access Exchange Server Administration 1
I Re: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. Using Outlook 0
C cannot access hyperlink in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
M Right Click > Send to Mail Recipient, has no effect__Other programs cannot access the email client Using Outlook 3
T Cannot start Microsoft Outlook... Cannot access file... Using Outlook 2
N Re: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. Using Outlook 0
T Re: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. Using Outlook 0
B Outlook 2010. Cannot access my Contacts from clicking 'To' butto to find an email send address. Using Outlook 2
J I can no longer access my Address Book. I get the message"The folders cannot be opened. It may be mo Using Outlook 2
A cannot access OWA or connect to exchange 2007 via outook. Using Outlook 5
J Windows 7. I cannot access some 'attachments' emails via MS Outlook. Using Outlook 3
A One user cannot access availability or download address book Using Outlook 2
P Cannot access Busines Contact Manager Using Outlook 3
D Cannot Save Assigned Access Rights To Delegates for Allowing Another User To Manage the Calendar and Contacts Using Outlook 2
T windows cannot access the specified device path or file. you may not have the appropriate permission Using Outlook 2
J Re: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. Using Outlook 4
N Outlook cannot find users; Web Access works Using Outlook 13
L Cannot access www.outlook.com Using Outlook 2
D Cannot open Outlook 2003; appears have lost access to the software and data Using Outlook 1
P cannot download access for office2010 in windows7 envoirment Exchange Server Administration 1
S Re: Cannot access signatures in Outlook 2007. Cannot edit existing one or and a new one. Using Outlook 1
B Re: Cannot access signatures in Outlook 2007. Cannot edit existing one or and a new one. Using Outlook 1
2 cannot access links in received email Using Outlook 4
D Cannot access outlook, server not found. Trying to create new email account. Using Outlook 2
E 0x800CCC0E CANNOT SYNC WITH EMAIL SO CANNOT GET ON LINE VIA OUTLOOK SAYING NO ACCESS TO SERVER HAVE INTERNET CONNECTION Using Outlook 2
C Cannot access Internet through links embedded in e-mail messages. Error message tells me that Windo Using Outlook 1
T Address book cannot/does not access the contact files Using Outlook 2
C what is my server - tried to set up - chose Microsoft Exchange server - now cannot access Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
S Delegate cannot access Contacts folder Using Outlook 1
L Cannot INstall Client Access Role Exchange Server Administration 14
C Exchange 2010 OWA Sub Folders Access Denied ( also cannot create Rules with move to folder ) Exchange Server Administration 3
I Cannot access attachments in shared Public Folders Using Outlook 2
J How can I download this file? Need help urgently on a job search and cannot access my Outlook Using Outlook 2
D Delete email from outbox, error message ' this file cannot be deleted because it has been moved or you have been denied access.' Using Outlook 1
J I open my Windows 7 outlook. I just get a message saying it cannot open. I have had it running for 5 months already and do not know how to access E- Using Outlook 1
Y Scanpst.exe Where can I download this file it is missing and I cannot access Outlook Using Outlook 5
W Accidently typed in wrong Windows Live ID during Outlook setup, now cannot change to the correct Live ID and unable to have any access to Microsoft Ou Using Outlook 2
S Cannot access emails, been out of action over a week!__ Using Outlook 8
J Re: Unable to access Mailbox after Remote move (Cannot open mailbox, Get-CalendarProcessing error) Exchange Server Administration 8
L Unable to access hyperlinks..."General Failure: URL was unable to open....The system cannot find the Using Outlook 2
C Cannot access macro menu in OL2003 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2