Outlook 2010 Autocomplete not working

• Thread starter Laura5681
  • Start date Views 2,363
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Laura5681

My manager here at work is having some trouble with the autocomplete function of Outlook 2010. This was a recent upgrade at the company, and since the upgrade, some of his contacts are autocompleting based on the first name, some on the last name, and some not at all. He is also seeing previous employees that no longer have email access here coming up in the list. Can anyone help?

Brian Tillman

First, remember that autocompletion only remembers addresses that have been used at least once. It does not reference the Contacts in any way. If your manager started with a new mail profile when he upgraded, his autocompletion cache was empty when he started, if he didn't import the cache from the prior version.

The cache will match on the first letters of either the " display as" value of a cached address or on the first letters of the address itself. Thus, if you have an entry in the cache that's, say, " Solo, Han <han.solo @ millennium.org>" , (the spaces around the " @" are there to keep the foum from hiding the address) you can start typing either " so" or " ha" and that address should appear.

L

Laura5681

He has used the addresses. He has a contact with the last name Hanson. If he tries to start typing " ha" , she does not come up. If he begins typing her first name, she comes up. This individual is stored in the company's global address list. Is there a setting under the mail options that he can change to help with this? Additionally, the global address list is bringing up former employees whose addresses have been removed from the active global address list for several years.

Brian Tillman

When the name appears in the list, either the entire string should start with the letter that have been entered, or the e-mail address should start with those letters. Are you saying that's not true?

As far as the GAL containing entries of people who haven't been around for a long time, either your Active Directory administrators have not removed them from AD or your manager hasn't updated the Offline Address Book for some time. Have him click the File tab, then Account Settings, and choose " Download Address Book" .

L

Laura5681

OK, had a chance to test this out. I downloaded the address book successfully. Then I tried sending an email to the contact with the last name Hanson, using the address book to select her name. When I tried sending another, it didn't autofill her name when I started typing " Hanson" . She can, however, be found when I start typing her first name.

The main problem here is that he doesn't memorize which contacts he has to start entering by first name and which by last name. So to email me, he can start typing my last name, but to email her (Ms. Hanson) he has to start typing her first name.

Brian Tillman

Let's suppose that the manager has his Contacts " Display As" fields set to list the last name, a comma, a space, and the first name. Let's also say the Global Address List has then similarly configured. The first time he uses one of those contacts, the name will resolve to " Lastname, Firstname <address@domain>" . From then on, he'll be able to begin typing either the last name or the address in order to see the autosuggestion. So, if Mary Smith is in his Contacts and he had the Display As set to " Smith, Mary" and Mary's address is johnswife @ somedomain, the next time, he'll be able to start typing " s" or " j" and Mary will pop up.

Now, suppose that Mary writes to him, but she has her display name set to be " Mary Smith" , so that's what shows in the From field when the message is received. Supposed also that the manager replies to this message. Now, a new entry will be added to the autocompletion cache, and the manager will be able to start typing " m" as well as " s" or " j" in order for Mary's entry to appear. For " m" or " j" , both entries will appear, but only one will appear when " s" is used. This is the way it works for me every time. I suspect that if he examines the behavior, that's what he sees as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.