Outlook stopped working

• Thread starter Althemedicineman
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Althemedicineman

Outlook stopped working. It partially loads, then "freezes". The mouse pointer moves around but clicking on any control button gets no response. I asked for help in this forum on 3rd Nov, and a re-install was suggested. Thanks for the replies, but reinstalling Office hasn't helped. My wife doesn't use Outlook so I went onto her account and performed what is essentially a clean set up. This works fine, so presumably the issue is not the software, but is to do with corrupted profiles or similar (I'm no expert). I have tried running the .pst scan/ repair tool. This found errors, but repairing them didn't help. If a "clean" install is what I need, how can I do this? Otherwise any new suggestions would be welcome. Please bear in mind that I can't access any menus in Outlook when in my user account (I can in my wife's), so any fix would have to be outside Outlook itself. Incidentally my antivirus is F Secure, but this is probably not relevant since it is operating when using my wife's account.

Thanks

N

Niyamath Khan

What type of account is configured in Outlook? E.g. POP/IMAP/Exchange

You may try to start Outlook in Windows clean boot to check if you are able to work.

Refer the steps given in the link below to start computer in clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure to restart computer to normal mode once troubleshooting is completed.

A

Althemedicineman

Robert

No it doesn't work in Outlook Safe Mode. Is the link still relevant?

Alan

R

Roady [MVP]

No it doesn't work in Outlook Safe Mode. Is the link still relevant?Yes it would, but then it would be less likely to be caused by an add-in but by an external application. The link covers both scenarios ;-)

A

Althemedicineman

I have done the clean boot routine and still Outlook doesn't work. One new event is that on my wife's Windows User account (where outlook still works) I received a message yesterday when attempting to open Outlook. "Outlook experienced a serious problem with the 'F-Secure spam control add-in'...Do you want to disable this add-in." I disabled and Outlook opened normally. I recall a similar message on my own Windows User account, probably a few weeks ago before the trouble started. Outlook didn't freeze immediately after this, but a few days later. I see there have been issues between Outlook and F-Secure going back years. However unloading F-Secure doesn't cure the problem (nor did unticking all F-Secure items in clean boot), so if F-Secure has had an effect it must be to have corrupted a file I guess. Is there any way to reinstall Outlook as a clean reinstall i.e. not looking for an existing .pst file, as if it has been installed for the very first time?

A

Althemedicineman

Thanks. A new profile works fine. The obvious problem is that it doesn't hold my contact information. I thought I could replace this by synchronising with my PDA. However the PDA seems to keep looking for the old profile and times out (because the old profile doesn't work). Any idea how to get a PDA running Windows Mobile 6 to synchronise with a specified Outlook account?

A

Althemedicineman

Thanks. As it happened, for no obvious reason, the next time I connected my PDA it synchronised contacts, tasks and notes perfectly. Unfortunately, if I click on Calendar Outlook just hangs. I then got a message about Outlook being unable to open folders, though restarting the computer seemed to stop this. However when Outlook was next started it tried to open the old profile and hung. I checked the Outlook settings and it was definitely set to open the new account. In the end I deleted the old account and it opens normally with the new account now. Unfortunately it still hangs when I try to open the calendar. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.