Unable to open emails with Macros in attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Amy-PattisonGC

When trying to open an email that contains an attachment that has a macro I recieve a Microsoft Office Outlook error message that says

" Cannot open this item. You do not have sufficient permissionto perform this operation on this object. See the folder contact or your system administrator."

How do I fix this so I can open the email. I have bypassed this by dragging the email to my desktop for the timebeing... I was able to open it from there.

Help is appreciated!

F

Francine Otterson

Macros have the potential of being malicious and spreading viruses therefore they are blocked. Check the Trust Center by doing the following as you may need to change your macro settings. It is usually set to not allow any macros.

Outlook

1.On the Tools menu, click Trust Center.

2.Click Macro Settings.

3.Click the options that you want: This is probably your best option (unless the macros is signed) Warnings for all macros Click this option if you want macros to be disabled, but you want to get security alerts if there are macros present. This way, you can choose when to enable those macros on a case by case basis.

Also Microsoft Outlook does not allow you to receive certain types as attachments, because of their potential for introducing a virus into your computer. Outlook blocks these files by default. If your organization uses Microsoft Exchange, only the e-mail server administrator can unblock these file types. End users of Outlook cannot unblock these file types.

Kind Regards

R

Roady [MVP]

Outlook

2.Click Macro Settings.

3.Click the options that you want: This is probably your best option (unless the macros is signed) Warnings for all macros Click this option if you want macros to be disabled, but you want to get security alerts if there are macros present. This way, you can choose when to enable those macros on a case by case basis.

That setting will not affect any macros which are contained in attachments which are opened by other Office applications.

Robert Sparnaaij

R

Roady [MVP]

When trying to open an email that contains an attachment that has a macro I recieve a Microsoft Office Outlook error message that says

" Cannot open this item. You do not have sufficient permissionto perform this operation on this object. See the folder contact or your system administrator."

How do I fix this so I can open the email. I have bypassed this by dragging the email to my desktop for the timebeing... I was able to open it from there.

Help is appreciated!

As you are opening the attachment directly from within Outlook, the attachment is copied to Secure Temp folder before it is actually being opened. Empty this Secure Temp folder and try again. See;

http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/securetemp.htm

Other possible causes as to why you are receiving this error can be your virus scanner or your macro and safe locations settings for the application you are trying to the attachment with (for instance Word or Excel).

Robert Sparnaaij

A

Amy-PattisonGC

Macros have the potential of being malicious and spreading viruses therefore they are blocked. Check the Trust Center by doing the following as you may need to change your macro settings. It is usually set to not allow any macros.

Outlook

2.Click Macro Settings.

Also Microsoft Outlook does not allow you to receive certain types as attachments, because of their potential for introducing a virus into your computer. Outlook blocks these files by default. If your organization uses Microsoft Exchange, only the e-mail server administrator can unblock these file types. End users of Outlook cannot unblock these file types.

Kind Regards

Tried this and it didnt work.

Status
Not open for further replies.