Outlook 2007 sometimes displays EMails characters all garbled (Japanese origin)

  • Thread starter TS200010
  • Start date Views 2,730
Not open for further replies.


We have two PCs

One with Japanese XP and one with English XP both using Outlook 2007. XP and Outlook all up to date.

Sometimes when a Japanese friend sends an EMail in Japanese to us it is unreadable on the Japanese XP machine but readable on the English XP machine.

If I look at the EMails on the server (BTInternet.com) they are perfectly OK but when downloaded to the Japanese XP PC they are sometimes garbled.

Any ideas would be appreciated.



Diane Poremsky

Senior Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Can you post the first few lines of the garbled message here or post a screenshot somewhere? (2 -3 lines should be enough) It's possible the message is uuencoded and not getting decoded. We can usually tell by looking the first few lines.


Ruchi Bisht

Is it happening only with emails received from one user?

If so, can you check which email program is he using to send mails?

Also check, if the original email was only sent out to people on the BCC line.

Provide more information on this issue to assist you better.

Ruchi Bisht



It is happening with EMails from several users using different EMail programs

EMail was sent to the " TO" line

Here are the message headers if that helps at all. I am pretty convinced that the problem occurs when Outlook recieves the message

Headers for Message when downloaded into Outlook

X-Apparently-To: yokko@btinternet.com via; Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:18:40 +0000

Received-SPF: pass (mta1008.bt.mail.ukl.yahoo.com: domain of megumi.rider@tiscali.co.uk designates as permitted sender)

X-YMailISG: uN8e8FAcZAq4ElgApgmc45owo2A2b87IYzTsfIFJaIdI8R5P
X-Originating-IP: []

Authentication-Results: mta1008.bt.mail.ukl.yahoo.com from=; domainkeys=neutral (no sig); from=tiscali.co.uk; dkim=neutral (no sig)

Received: from (EHLO mk-filter-1-a-1.mail.uk.tiscali.com) (
by mta1008.bt.mail.ukl.yahoo.com with SMTP; Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:18:40 +0000

X-Trace: 541270454/mk-filter-1.mail.uk.tiscali.com/B2C/$b2c-THROTTLED-DYNAMIC/b2c-CUSTOMER-DYNAMIC-IP/

X-SBRS: None


X-IP-MAIL-FROM: megumi.rider@tiscali.co.uk


X-Originating-Country: GB/UNITED KINGDOM

X-MUA: Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6002.18197Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE

X-IP-BHB: Once

X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered: true

X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Result: AlkDABdQ9ExYbyID/2dsb2JhbACDT5BxjklysDWRIIEhgzNzBI1k

X-IronPort-AV: E=Sophos;i=" 4.59,279,1288569600" ;
d=" scan'208" ;a=" 541270454"

Received: from 88-111-34-3.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com (HELO RiderLaptop) ([])
by smtp.tiscali.co.uk with SMTP; 30 Nov 2010 09:18:40 +0000

Message-ID: <7F5107AFB813427CB3B4117903F4D942@RiderLaptop>

From: " Megumi Rider" <megumi.rider@tiscali.co.uk>

To: " Yoshiko Stanners" <yokko@btinternet.com>

References: <2ED736C8DD9B45E8B817A17BDDF610EF@RiderLaptop> <000601cb9060$8f754ac0$ae5fe040$@com>

In-Reply-To: <000601cb9060$8f754ac0$ae5fe040$@com>

Subject: Re: Friday Bible Study

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:18:36 -0000

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=" utf-8" ;

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

X-Priority: 3

X-MSMail-Priority: Normal

X-Mailer: Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6002.18197

X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.0.6002.18263


The first few lines look like this - see below. I have also posted the headers to the message in my reply to Ruchi below.

ق Ɗ łˁBjȂ ĂCɂȂ łˁB킽̂ &lrm;VC Ȃ 邾^] Ȃ 悤ɂĂ ܂ &lrm;B

킽 ̐ Ĥ Ƃ ɂ낢 AhoCXA肪Ƃ B܂ &lrm;Br^~Bjn߂܂ &lrm;BIron

Tablet̋ z悭Ƃ ŁAɑ Oɂ҂ Ɋ߂ &lrm;AĂ̂ ŁA傤 ǂ 悩 łB߂&lrm;悤 łB

̊ ŁA 킽 ́ A ǂ̎ wɂAJMłAN[ ʂ Ď ܂ &lrm;ĐQ ̂ łA ܂ Aʂ Ȃ̂ &lrm;łˁBAJM 𒼂AȂ ɂ@񂶂łH

Ruchi Bisht

Which version of Office (English version of Office or Japanese version of Office) have installed on Japanese XP?

Ruchi Bisht


Thanks for the replies.

Diane mentioned uuencode/decode problems. I did some more research and realised that the PST file had come through many upgraqdes and was perhaps not Unicode.

So I created a new Unicode PST aand using ARCHIVE copied all my messages to the new file and made the new file the default. This fixed the problem.

I am now left with one more residual issue that I will post as a separate thread.


Hi i have exactly the same problem with my windows mail, I sent a lot of emails to the members of my conservation group on Bcc. some people have not complained (but that does not mean they can read them!) however I have had a lot of members saying they cannot read as it is chinese! Can you give me an idiots guide to fixing the problem as I am not computer literate at all but willing to learn, thanks in anticipation of your help.
Not open for further replies.