Outlook 2010 and Word 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TechChic

We have a lot of templates written in VB code which are part of a Third-party vendor software. The vendor software has the capability of connectin gto outlook contacts for importing them into a word template field (like a merge).

Is there a way to connect outlook 2010 contacts into word 2010 templates? We are considering to eliminate this third party vendor software.

thanks

P

pmp07

Choose the data source

Word can use a wide variety of data sources. The 'Select Recipients' icon offers the option to type a new list, to use an existing list or to select from Outlook Contacts. (Outlook 2007 still provides the option to start the merge from Outlook for even greater flexibility - the procedure is essentially the same as that for Outlook 2003).

If you chose to use an existing data source, by default Word will try and connect to a data source in the 'My Data Sources' folder. This will not help much if the data source is a Word or Excel document, for example, in some other folder. Don't be thrown by the two default entries shown in the illustration below, simply move to the folder that contains your data file and select it.
There is no mechanism included by which the My Data Sources folder can be set to a different location; however, you can set the data source folder to a path on the same drive as the My Documents folder by means of a registry hack. The folder is defined at:

in Word 2010 at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\DataServices

These keys are created the first time you attempt to access a data source for a merge. In the relevant key is not present at the time you edit the registry you can add it.

Edit the 'MyData' sub key to the required folder name (without quotes). The start point for the path is My Documents and the entry in the data key would be a sub folder of My Documents, which by default is the My Data Sources sub folder. If the DataServices key has no entry the default setting is used. To move up to My Documents enter . (a period/full stop). To move up two folders enter .. (two periods/full stops). Although I have not tested it, the convention is one period/full stop for each level, so if your My Documents folder is buried deeper, in theory at least you should be able to add extra periods/full stops to take you back to the root level of the drive.

This method allow you to move the folder to a different path location. e.g., I have My Documents as a sub folder of the D: drive i.e. "D:\My Documents" thus the default setting for the data folder would be "D:\My Documents\My Data Sources" . To move that data folder to "D:\My Documents" you would change the default My Data Sources entry for a period/full stop to move up a level.

To move to another sub folder of My Documents eg "D:\My Documents\Merge" simply change the default "My Data Sources" to "Merge" and to move to a different branch of the folder structure eg to "D:\Merge", add the period/full stop to the path.

Word XP introduced further complications for those merging from Excel data, retained in Word 2007/2010. In earlier versions of Word connection to the data file was by DDE. Microsoft has replaced this default setting by a new OLEDB connection method. This has benefits and drawback. The benefits are that Word can now connect to client/server databases such as SQL or Oracle without resorting to an intervening interface such as MSQuery.

One downside is that OLEDB provides direct access to the data and thus Word is expected to provide the formatting. You can often work round this by applying formatting to the fields in Word. or you can revert to the earlier DDE connection method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Outlook 2010 does not open MS Word attachments Using Outlook 1
B MS Office 2010: Word email merge not selecting default Outlook account Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2010 some messages received have no word wrap Using Outlook 1
A Can I turn off Word as the email editor in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 2
F Mail merge in Word/Outlook 2010 using multiple email accounts in Outlook Using Outlook 2
D 3 Easy Questions for Gurus on Word 2007 and Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 11
B Outlook 2007 Business Contact Mgr and Word 2010 Using Outlook 1
I E-mail Merge with Word/Outlook 2010 Exceptionally Slow Using Outlook 3
A Using Word 2010 to edit Outlook message Using Outlook 2
D Need help with word wrap in Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 5
M Outlook 2002 RTF Email Opens in Word 2010 Using Outlook 3
G Problem with Outlook 2010 after installing update to Word Perfect X5 Using Outlook 4
A No Word e Outlook 2010 não funciona o rolamento de página (scroll active) com mouse. Como corrigir Using Outlook 1
J Problem with Word 2010 and Outlook 2010 after installing today's MS updates Using Outlook 1
A MS Outlook 2010 Professional Plus - Word couldn't send mail because of a MAPI failure: "Operation no Using Outlook 4
K Outlook 2010 spellcheck and synonym does not work with word 2007 Using Outlook 1
I Outlook 2010 Cannot Preview Word Attachments Using Outlook 10
C Heading styles become numbered when I use older MS word 2003 templates to create emails opened in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
J How can I create a rule in Outlook 2010 so that all mail where the sender's name (not email id but name) has a certain word in it? Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 2010 Word Attachments are Garbled Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 2010 Mailmerge Not Sending Emails From Word 2010 Using Outlook 2
J Inporting mail addresses from Outlook 2010 into Word 2010 Using Outlook 5
A Outlook 2010 - NormalEmail was being edited by another word session Exchange Server Administration 1
P Using Word 2010 as the editor in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 2
R When I launch Outlook 2010, Microsoft Word opens (Compatibility Mode) Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2007 dosen't use Word for inline spell checking after I upgraded Office Home&Student 2010 Using Outlook 3
T Why does outlook 2010 convert only some forum notifications to plain text? Using Outlook 0
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Outlook 2010 Problem with OutLook 2010 32 bit, after Windows Auto Update Using Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 3
D Outlook 2010 account setup fails in particular domain Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2010 is Auto Purging when not configured for that Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 2010 Reading Pane Slows Startup Using Outlook 3
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
B Outlook 2010 Can not find a certain file in M/S Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 1
Mark Foley Cannot enable add-in in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
W Outlook 2010 some sent items marked unread now (was Ok before) Using Outlook 0
RBLampert Updating from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 365 Using Outlook 0
L What are the risks of opening an Outlook 2016 .pst file in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 4
S Unable to remove rule outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
N Outlook 2010 Flag blocked for Safe Senders List???? Using Outlook 7
dweller Outlook 2010 Rule Ignores VBA Script Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Mark Foley Unable to subscribe to published calendar in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
K Maximum Categorize Shortcuts In Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 1
E Unable to open Outlook 2010 after adding new email account Using Outlook 4
RBLampert Outlook 2010 no longer (?) shrinks large images Using Outlook 4
N Outlook 2010 will not send nor receive Using Outlook 4
U Outlook 2010 'freezes' before moving emails Using Outlook 2
P Outlook 2010 trusted emails going to spam folder Using Outlook 18
E Outlook 2010 Subject sort uses Thread-Topic for grouping Using Outlook 2