Outlook 2010 cannot connect to pop.gmail.com on port 995

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joseph M. Guerra

I am trying to migrate my Outlook 2007 .pst file from a Vista computer to a Windows 7 computer running Outlook 2010. All the account settings are the same.

Pop: pop.gmail.com
SMTP: smtp.gmail.com
Server requires a secure connection (SSL); port number " 465" in the " Outgoing mail (SMTP)" .
Server requires a secure connection (SSL); port number " 995' in the " Incoming mail (POP3)" .

I have been on the phone with my ISP twice for 2 hours each and they say the settings are correct.

I tend to agree since I get the following error immediately :

Task 'jmguerra@clear.net - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

as if Windows is blocking the connect and never tries to connect via the network.

I have tried to telnet to the server and get a connection error also.

telnet pop.gmail.com 995
I have added Firewall rules for Outlook.exe to allow all incoming and outgoing on all ports and all protocols and still get the error.

E

edr

I have a similar situation with Outlook 2007 and Windows 7. My details are below.

Note that I was able to work around this problem by resolving the POP server IP address (outside of Outlook) and using the IP address instead of the DNS name in the Outlook server setup page. Why don't you try that and see if it helps. However that is not the solution that either of us is looking for.

Our business's LAN has a Windows 2003 server domain controller which provides AD-integrated DNS. We have been running XP workstations for many years, and for the past year using Outlook 2007 on XP with no problems. We do not use Exchange server. Our email accounts are hosted by an off-site server (not gmail) which we access from Outlook via POP3. Up until now everything has been working well.

Last month we acquired a batch of notebook PCs with Windows 7. We set them up in the domain, installed Office 2007, and almost everything is running perfectly. Our problem is that Outlook 2007 cannot connect to our extenal POP3 server, or the SMTP server. When I turn on Outlook logging, it shows failure in its attempt to connect to the POP server. The email account in Outlook is set up exactly like it is on the other XP PCs.

The really interesting part is that in the Outlook " Internet email account settings" property sheet, if I enter the IPv4 ADDRESS of the POP3 server (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) instead of the DNS NAME of the server (mail.xxx.com), Outlook works fine.

Everything else on the Windows 7 notebook seems to be using DNS correctly. IE can find websites, nslookup resolves my POP3 server name, and I ran NETMON on my DNS server and it receives and replies to Outlook's DNS requests from the Windows 7 notebook.

On the notebook, I disabled the Windows Firewall and the (Symantec) Anti-virus software. Note that our business LAN goes throug ISA Server 2004. I created an ISA firewall policy to allow everything outbound from the notebook PC, but when I use ISA monitor, it does not log any traffic from the notebook.

I took the notebook home and ran it on my home LAN, and Outlook worked fine. I also brought the laptop into another AD-managed Windows Server 2008 LAN (which does not use ISA Server), and Outlook worked fine.

Can anyone suggest what in our business network could be causing Outlook 2007 under Windows 7 to be unable to connect to a POP server?

S

Sally Tang

Hi,

Have you installed any software or updates recently? Temporarilly disable the firewall and antivirus software on your computer, such as Norton.

If you installed any Office update, uninstall it from control panel > Programs and Features.

You can also re-add the POP3 account and test the results again. Please make sure the outging and incoming email servers are right. Check the checkbox " My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" in " Outgoing Server" tab and use the same authentication as it's for the incoming server.

Sally Tang

J

Joseph M. Guerra

I have uninstalled my McAfee antivirus software.

I have turned off the Windows Firewall.

I have never installed any Office update.

I have deleted and readded the accounts, and the profiles containing the accounts.

I have made sure the outgoing and incoming email servers are correct.

I have checked the Outgoing server tab has " My outgoing server requires authentication" box, and use the same settings as for the incoming server.

None of this stops Windows from preventing the connect in a fraction of a second, as if Windows itself is blocking the connect.

If I try to telnet to the server on port 995

telnet pop.gmail.com 995

windows blocks the connects, which explains why Outlook is failing.

If I try the same telnet on the older Vista computer, where Outlook works, the telnet works and produces a blank screen.

If I boot in safe mode on the Windows 7 computer and try the telnet, it works.

Why does the telnet to pop.gmail.com on port 995 fail if the system is not in Safe Mode? How can I make Windows 7 unblock port 995?

S

Sally Tang

Hi,

Click Start, in the Search box, type windows firewall. Open Windows Firewall, click Allow Programs from the left panel. Then, you can change windows firewall to allow your port there.

Sally Tang

J

Joseph M. Guerra

I would like to try your recommendation you noted as below :

The really interesting part is that in the Outlook " Internet email account settings" property sheet, if I enter the IPv4 ADDRESS of the POP3 server (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) instead of the DNS NAME of the server (mail.xxx.com), Outlook works fine.

Do I change the POP3 server definition on the email account setup / change page? I brought up that page and it is labeled " Internet Email Account Settings" so I am sure that is what you are referring to.

If I ping pop.gmail.com I get the following error :

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ping pop.gmail.com

Pinging pop.gmail.com [74.125.67.109] with 32 bytes of data:
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.

If I ping the IP address, I get the following error :

C:\Windows\system32>ping 74.125.67.109

Pinging 74.125.67.109 with 32 bytes of data:
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.

Ping statistics for 74.125.67.109:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

How can I change Windows to not give a " General Failure" error when I access that server or IP address?

J

Joseph M. Guerra

I have gone to the page to

" Allow Programs to communicate through Windows Firewall" and

" Allow another Program" and

added Outlook.exe. Unfortunately, Windows still blocks that program.

Is there anyway to paste a screen shot in a reply to your suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.