Communication History disappeared in BCM 2010

• Thread starter Pyramid36
  • Start date Views 3,978
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pyramid36

Windows 7 (64K), Office Pro 2010 (32K), & BCM Installed Office 2010 middle of last week and everything converted properly from 2007. I've been using BCM steadily ever since and it has been running flawlessly. Earlier today however, after linking a file to BCM, the History window went blank except for the words Communication History at the very top. I saw some posts on social.answers.microsoft where 5 or 6 users had a similar problem. However, there were no responses from Microsoft. What do I need to do to get History back? KenKen Kimbrough

A

Abdias Ruiz

Hello Ken,

When you select Communications History, does the Status Bar in the lower left corner of Business Contact Manager show an the item count?

If it shows a Number besides 0, go to the View menu, then select Change View and try changing the folder view to another setting.

If the number shows 0, can you check the Business Contact Manager Deleted Items folder for the missing items? To do that, hit Control+6. Then scroll down and expand the Business Contact Manager Tree. There is a separate Deleted Items folder for Business Contact Manager. Are the missing items in that folder?

Thank you,

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

P

Pyramid36

Abdias,

If I go to History from an Account the screen is essentially blank except for the words Communications History at the top. No record count information is displayed. When accessing History from within a Business Contact record the screen is the same as viewed from Accounts except that an icon with the contacts name is displayed at the bottom left.
If select History from within the Business Contact Manager Dashboard all of the history is displayed and an item count of about 5,800 is displayed. This leads me to believe that the data is there, and suggests that a link/chain has been broken between the dataset and the History application (?).
I checked the Delete folder and there are some links to files that had been in History, but nothing on the order of the 5,800 in the History I mentioned above. The most recent record in the Delete folder is from mid-October so the answer to your question is no.

I restored one of the deleted records, but it would not display when I checked the record where it should have been.

Ken

Ken Kimbrough

A

Abdias Ruiz

Hi Ken,
Thank you for the details. If you select the Communications History Folder and then go to the View Tab, does changing the view make a difference (go to View | Change View, then pick one of the other options available)?

If that does not, if you go to the View Tab, and then select View Settings. There is an button labeled Filter. Is there a filter set or does it say “Off”?

If the above does not help, can you include links to screenshots of the Communications History Folder? If there is some private information, you can send them to me at cts-aruiz at live dot com.
Thanks!

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

P

Pyramid36

Abdias,

I tried the suggestions but nothing has changed. I just emailed screen captures for you to review. I really appreciate your help and interest.

Ken

Ken Kimbrough

J

Jahawk

Hi

Thank you for the screenshots

Have you customized any of the Business Contact Manager Forms? If so can you try one of the following?

1. Backup your Form Customizations by going to File > Business Contact Manager > Import and Export > Export to a File. Choose the option for Business Contact Manager Customization (with a file type of .bcmx)

2. Open an Account

3. Click the “Form Layout “ button on the ribbon

4. On the Customize Ribbon, click “Show” and Select History From the options

5. Click the “Add Fields” Button

6. On the Add Fields Dialog, is “Communications History” an option? If so, can you click “Add to Form”

7. Save the changes

Does the above help to resolve the problem?

If not, can you try the following

1. Backup your Form Customizations by going to File > Business Contact Manager > Import and Export > Export to a File. Choose the option for Business Contact Manager Customization (with a file type of .bcmx)

2. Open an Account

3. Click the “Form Layout “ button on the ribbon

4. Click “Restore Default” IMPORTANT – this will reset any Form Customizations!

Does this help to reset the form?

For more information on form customization:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bcm/archive/2009/08/26/bcm-2010-customization-101-form-customization.aspx

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/create-and-customize-record-types-and-lists-HP010262518.aspx#_Toc252810003

Jahawk MSFT

P

Pyramid36

Did not find Communication History as an option, so I went to the next step. Before I Restore Default, does the Restore Default mean that it will restore the defaults to all Form Customizations or just the Comm. History?

If it restores all of the customizations to default is there a way to recover them from the export without wiping out the Comm History form that I just restored?

Ken

Ken Kimbrough

J

Jahawk

Hi Ken,
Selecting Restore Defaults will reset all customization for the selected form Type (ex.. selecting Restore Default on an Account Form will reset All Account Customizations)

If you back up your Form Customizations into a .BCMX file, you can Restore Defaults, and then reimport the Customization file to bring back your form customizations – however if the source of the problem with the Communication History is with the customizations, then this might reintroduce the problem

One way to verify whether customization is the source of the problem is to Export your form customizations into a .BCMX file, switch to a test/blank Database and then import the file .BCMX file into that database and see if the problem persists

Lastly, before making any changes, I would also backup your Database. That can be done through the File > Business Contact Manager and then the Backup Option

Thanks!

Jahawk MSFT

P

Pyramid36

Jahawk,

I tried opening the Sample database and then opened the History section and it was still blank. I noticed though that when I open Account | History | Form Layout what I get is the form for the General page. Shouldn't I get the History form when I click Form Layout? If so, then it would seem that somehow the History form is corrupt, deleted, or the internal link to it is broken.

Where to next?

Ken Kimbrough

P

Pyramid36

I tried uninstalling BCM and reinstalling, but that didn't change anything.

Ken Kimbrough

J

Jahawk

Hi Ken,

I went through our bug database on BCM and I came across " BCM history view is empty with Outlook 4734 build"

The workaround was......if you click column-sort on the view, everything would appear and you will never see this problem again - until you create a new Outlook profile, then the problem comes back.

So, if you click column-sort on the History view, does the data appear? If you switch the view back to what you had before, does the data remain in the view?
-If that works for you, please use that for the timebeing. This has been sent up to the product group and should be addressed in a later build\version.

If that does not work, my best suggestion now would be to call in and open a Microsoft Support Incident with our BCM team. Normally, a case like this is going to be better troubleshooted by having us remote onto the machine so we can see things first hand.

Thanks, again!

Jahawk MSFT

P

Pyramid36

Jahawk,

Thanks for your persistence with this. The problem I have is that the History page does not display any columns at all. Ergo, there are no columns to sort.

I'm going to take your advice, though and call in to Support and see what we can come up with. If you want to leave this open, I'll post the results when we've got it fixed.

Ken Kimbrough

J

Jahawk

Hi Ken,

Thanks!

The BCM team is pretty small, so I've already given the heads up to everyone. :) Since we can repro the behavior by deleting the custom form, I am thinking that's probably the best place to start. Have you run a Process Monitor while you start up Outlook and go through the steps to show the issue. The trace will allow us to see all registry and file system access. Since you have already done a rip\re-install, I would be checking for Access Denied entries in the trace. ---Yep, for custom forms, we're going to access the registry and Windows Explorer.

Anyways, looking forward to discovering what's causing the issue.

Jahawk MSFT

P

Pyramid36

Jahawk,

I've just spent 45 minutes trying to get through to Volume Licensing Agreement support with no success. I actually got a case #, but my calls have been dropped twice. Do you have number I can call or email address that I can open a Support Incident?

If you prefer, you can reply to ken at omnemail dot com

Thanks in advance.

Ken Kimbrough

J

Jahawk

Hey Ken,

I would suggest calling back in on the case # they've given you. Then advise the engineer\duty manager\etc who answers to provide an e-mail address so that you can ask to be contacted by phone.

That might be the easiest way to go. - Hope so!

Jahawk MSFT

P

Pyramid36

Jahawk,

I'm responding to your post above re: process monitoring. I have a tool called AccEvent, but I'm not sure what information you want. I did a screen shot of available options, but don't know how to include it here.

If you have something else in mind, please direct me to the tool and I'll try that.
Ken Kimbrough

P

Pyramid36

Should I tell them I need to be contacted by someone on the BCM team? We have a volume license and I've been calling there, but I know that at least some of them don't even know what BCM is. Had to explain it to them and even then I'm not sure they got it.Ken Kimbrough

A

Abdias Ruiz

Hi Ken,

Simply state that you need to get to the Outlook team.

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

J

Jahawk

Hi Ken,

BCM is handled by the Outlook team, but customer service reps may not know that. Best off telling them you have an Outlook issue and then specify it's concerning BCM.

Hope that helps!

Jahawk MSFT

Status
Not open for further replies.