"Clip" icon appear in Microsoft Outlook 2010 / Exchange 2007 OWA Message, but no attachment inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Tam

Dear Sir,
I have a question of using Outlook 2010 in Exchange 2007 OWA, I found that some of the email which show the " Clip" icon at the left side of message, but there no of attachment inside. This issue occur even OWA webmail view.
This message of " Clip" icon will disappear if I press " Forward" message to re-sent myself.
Do it has a bug or what I can trace on it ?

Regards,

Joe

J

Jahawk

Hi Joe,

An image in the body of the message will be listed in the Attachment table of the mail item. An image\icon in a signature, banner, table, etc.

To see for your self, I would download OutlookSpy and then open the mail with the attachment icon. Click the IMessage button off OutlookSpy's tab and click GetAttachmentTable. This will list all the attachments on the mail item.

Yes, you can do the same with MFCMapi but OutlookSpy is much easier for getting to the Attachment table. --But that's just my opinion. :)

OutlookSpy is a free download. You want to have Outlook closed when you run the install, since OutlookSpy is a COM Add-in and will need to load itself the next time you launch Outlook. --Here's where I pull it down from: http://www.dimastr.com/outspy/

Hope that helps!

Jahawk MSFT

J

Joe Tam

Dear Jahawk,
In the GetAttachmentTable, I can see the it has image001.gif and image002.jpg there. I think it is a image in the body. However, in another message created from the forwarded / reply message, this 'Clip' icon disappear but still have these 2 images file under " GetAttachmentTable" .
How to confirm root cause of the problem?

Joe

J

Jahawk

Hi Joe,

The attachment(s) is " Hidden" , so there won't be a clip to signify an attachment.

I reproduced the same thing by Inserting a Textbox (or a Picture) into the message body.

After saving the item, you can go into the Attachment table. Open the png attachment, so that you can see that PR_HIDDEN_ATTACHMENT is set to " True" .

With the attachment hidden, there will not be a paperclip icon displayed.

Everything you are seeing\not seeing is " By Design" . :)

Hope that answers all of your questions!

Jahawk MSFT

J

Joe Tam

Dear Jahawk,
I see. But in the user point of view, it should have some done in Outlook / Exchange to correct it.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Clip art search alway no result found in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
K Outlook insert clip art, no results found...address book contacts only show up Using Outlook 5
M Insert clip art, shapes, smart art, chart and screenshot greyed out in OUTLOOK 2010 Using Outlook 2
A Clip Collection Using Outlook 1
T Outlook 2016 remove envelope icon for certain folders Using Outlook 5
M New icon? Using Outlook 3
W Get a "New Note" icon onto the QAT Using Outlook 3
Commodore Attachment icon when there is no attachment Using Outlook 3
J Control Panel Mail (settings) icon missing Using Outlook 2
J Problem with Outlook 2016 new mail tray icon alert (envelope in the systems tray) Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
G Outlook 2016: reply icon not showing when replied from mobile Using Outlook 3
E What does mean this icon at the picture attached? Using Outlook 2
W "Post" icon on some contacts Using Outlook 1
P Delete Icon Using Outlook 2
witzker Change icon for custom views Using Outlook 1
D Email Icon Column Using Outlook 2
M Recurring icon for custom form task item Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
A Change Outlook Taskbar Icon Using Outlook 0
P IM and Phone icon is Grayed out in Outlook 2013 - Using Lync 2013 Using Outlook 4
wisedave Missing icon that show message was forwarded, etc Using Outlook 1
F Custom contact form icon issue Using Outlook 1
M Floating Delete Icon in mail list Using Outlook 1
V Reply Arrow Icon appears when both Replying or Forwarding Using Outlook 3
P Attachment Icon (paperclip) not showing for some emails with Attachments Outlook Wishlist 3
T Add 'Move to folder' icon to custom form Using Outlook 1
J phone icon greyed out in outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
H how to change the Folder icon in Contact Using Outlook 7
P Outlook closes down after clicking on the quick print icon. Using Outlook 3
M Remove sharing icon from outlook contacts Using Outlook 6
A No profiles created problem in outlook after clicking outlook icon Using Outlook 0
D How do I get a new mail icon into my quick launch bar? Using Outlook 3
C New mail icon on taskbar intermittent Using Outlook 1
R Delete Outlook Icon from Desktop Using Outlook 3
B Outlook - Printing - RTF Email Attachment Icon and Name Problems. Using Outlook 2
V Mail icon in control panel is missing Using Outlook 3
J When creating a new message no Send icon appears. F9 does not seem to work Using Outlook 2
T changing ribbon icon size Using Outlook 3
H Creating Task by Dragging Item to Task Icon In Navigation Pane Using Outlook 2
K clicking "completed" icon doesn't mark task complete. Using Outlook 2
M Erased desktop Icon Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2010 closes when icon clicked__ Using Outlook 1
L Overnight my outlook disappeared from desktop, replaced by outlook express icon. Where is it, how do I get it back? Been using Outlook 2007 for mont Using Outlook 1
W My document file cannot be accessed through the 'attach' icon. That file can only be attached by going to 'Documents' in master fi Using Outlook 2
K preview pane telephone Envelope icon duplicate email Using Outlook 4
A New email notification - desktop alert and system tray icon NOT WORKING. Using Outlook 3
E No 'Send' Icon Using Outlook 2
C Microsoft Outlook: cannot open program when clicking on the icon Using Outlook 2
J Outlook Status Icon on Taskbar - Refresh Issue Using Outlook 4
T 'New...' email icon is grey and unclickable -I cannot create new emails Using Outlook 1
S In Microsoft Outlook 2003 I have a Adobe PDF icon, to convert emails to pdf and then save them in the correct folder/file and it is not working anymor Using Outlook 1