I am working with a client who has one large gmail account (tens of thousands of emails) set up with IMAP and his Outlook freezes while syncing. It will show new messages, but it never finishes the synchronizing headers process. I have tried:
1) Repairing PST
2) Reinstalling Outlook (with and without old PST)
3) Reinstalling XP with nothing but Outlook 2010
After 3) Outlook no longer becomes unresponsive and each folder updates message count, but syncing never finishes - even after 24 hours. Network connection times out - I restart it and it times out again. There is probably about 20 to 30 minutes between timeouts.
- Windows XP Home
- Outlook 2010 32bit
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- Hi-speed internet
- Gmail web interface works and IMAP is enabled.
- at this time there is no old PST data or profile or anything left from initial Outlook configuration
- Outlook is completely default except account settings for IMAP Gmail including SSL IMAP and TLS SMTP
I am not new to troubleshooting Outlook but I am in over my head with this problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated