Outlook creates attachments other mailprograms cannot open

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bonno Bloksma

Hi,

It happened again, Outllook creates a mail with an attachment and Outlook Express sees no attachment, just the body of the mail. I'm now running the latest Windows Live Mail 2011 on my Windows 7 computer and it cannot see an attachment either.

It seems Outlook has a weird way of SOMETIMES inserting attachments into a mail that only Outlook understands and that even the most modern regular mail program Microsoft makes does not understand. The funt thing is, it only happens SOMETIMES, not everytime.

In a normal mail where I can open the attachment there wil be a multipart mail with several parts for:
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
- Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
- Content-Type: text/html;
charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
-

and finaly:
Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
name="tio.zio"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
filename="tio.zio"
- with the file I want to get.

In the mails where there is a problem there is a completly different way the mail is build. There is just these parts:
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="us-ascii"
- Content-Type: application/ms-tnef;
name="winmail.dat"
filename="winmail.dat"

In the winmail.dat is the rest of the mail with everything only Outlook seems to understand. Even the oldest Outlook 2003 I was able to test with these mails has no problem understanding what is happening inside the winmail.dat file but not Liva Mail 2011.

The sending computer is using Outlook 14 (X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 14.0) but like I said this seems to have been in Outlook for a long time allready. Could we have either 1) An outlook that does not create these strange mails with a winmail.dat content or 2) Have at least a modern alternative for people using just a mail program (Live Mail 20110 or something like it) that understands this. Mozilla does see the winmail.dat "file" but also does not know what to do with it.

S

Steven Moede

winmail.dat just means that Outlook is sending a Rich Text format message. Outlook Express/Windows Mail can't deal with this. You need to ensure the person using Microsoft Outlook is composing/sending messages in plain text or HTML.

If the person using Microsoft Outlook is composing messages in plain text or HTML format, then the next step is to check the contact records to ensure that they are not marked to receive Outlook Rich Text. This is done by opening the contact record and then double clicking on the email address.

What else... the last time I used a Palm, the chapura software that allows the Palm to sync to Outlook has a nasty habit of marking your contacts to receive Outlook Rich Text only. So keep in mind that if you have 3rd party software that integrates, uses, protects, .etc Outlook data that you might have to eliminate one by one to find the culprit if you find plain text/html messages being changed to Rich Text.

Last but not least, the winmail.dat can be cracked open by fentun (open source program). Shouldn't have a need for it once you learn/educate others on the above, but at least there is an option if you don't want to ask the sender to resend the message.

"Bonno Bloksma" wrote in message news:14877035-3203-4cca-be9c-a2aaafa4c903@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi,

It happened again, Outllook creates a mail with an attachment and Outlook Express sees no attachment, just the body of the mail. I'm now running the latest Windows Live Mail 2011 on my Windows 7 computer and it cannot see an attachment either.

It seems Outlook has a weird way of SOMETIMES inserting attachments into a mail that only Outlook understands and that even the most modern regular mail program Microsoft makes does not understand. The funt thing is, it only happens SOMETIMES, not everytime.

In a normal mail where I can open the attachment there wil be a multipart mail with several parts for:
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
- Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="us-ascii"
- Content-Type: text/html;
charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
-

and finaly:
Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
name="tio.zio"
filename="tio.zio"
- with the file I want to get.

In the mails where there is a problem there is a completly different way the mail is build. There is just these parts:
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="us-ascii"
- Content-Type: application/ms-tnef;
name="winmail.dat"
filename="winmail.dat"

In the winmail.dat is the rest of the mail with everything only Outlook seems to understand. Even the oldest Outlook 2003 I was able to test with these mails has no problem understanding what is happening inside the winmail.dat file but not Liva Mail 2011.

The sending computer is using Outlook 14 (X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 14.0) but like I said this seems to have been in Outlook for a long time allready. Could we have either 1) An outlook that does not create these strange mails with a winmail.dat content or 2) Have at least a modern alternative for people using just a mail program (Live Mail 20110 or something like it) that understands this. Mozilla does see the winmail.dat "file" but also does not know what to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Outlook 2016 - adding outlook.com account creates a new/strange address Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 18
V Outlook 2013 - iCloud add-in creates issues Using Outlook 4
O Rescheduling appointment on Outlook 2010 for Windows creates duplicate entry Using Outlook 2
K outlook contiually sends email when no email draft is in otbox and then creates error____ Using Outlook 3
N Outlook 2000 creates draft when sending email Using Outlook 5
N Entourage creates X-MSG link that freezes Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2010 creates duplicated profile Exchange Server Administration 5
T Outlook creates birthday reminders for all my contacts everyday and fills my deleted items folder! Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2010 creates new .PST for each mail account ... Using Outlook 2
J Outlook 2010 Public Folder creates many conflicts Using Outlook 1
P outlook 2008 search box criteria couldn't be saved Using Outlook 2
pcunite Outlook 2019/O365 Build 13127.20408 errors when using MAPI calls Using Outlook 1
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2010 Outlook in Windows 10 keeps asking for user name and password repeatedly Using Outlook 14
S Outlook mail adressing stops after first match in GAL Using Outlook 0
A Apply Selected Emails to outlook rules and Run Rules Using Outlook 5
T Changing Sent Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 0
J How do I disable advertising in Outlook 2019? Using Outlook 10
S Outlook (2016 32bit; Gmail IMAP) - Save sent message to Outllook Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Unable to Sync Web/Android MS To Do with Windows Outlook Tasks Using Outlook 3
S Macro to move “Re:” & “FWD:” email recieved the shared inbox to a subfolder in outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook Macro to send auto acknowledge mail only to new mails received to a specific shared inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook Macro to move reply mail based on the key word in the subjectline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Outlook Calendar not coming down from cloud Using Outlook 2
Terry Sullivan Sender's Name Doesn't Appear in the From Field on Outlook 365/IMAP Using Outlook 2
GregS Outlook 2016 Can I disable the Outlook Outbox? Using Outlook 2
P Outlook pst file is too huge with POP3. How to save more space? Using Outlook 4
D Outlook Contacts Notes Field Photos to Smartphone Using Outlook 0
Paula S. Outlook 2013 won't recognize new password Using Outlook 4
J Want to learn VBA Macros for Outlook. What book can you recommend? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Backup Email Accounts On OutLook For Mac 2016 (Microsoft 365 subscription version) Using Outlook 0
J Time Zone Issues - Outlook Calendar and Webcal Feed Using Outlook 8
J Are the underlined letters in Outlook Reminders window supposed to work? Using Outlook 0
M Office 2016 Outlook is forgetting passwords Using Outlook 15
G How to add a folder shortcut to outlook quick access toolbar? Using Outlook 6
W Outlook WAS facebook but there is no info for old accounts Using Outlook 0
E Can one still buy Outlook (or Office) 2016? Using Outlook 6
G Add to Outlook Contacts - Point to non-default contacts folder Using Outlook 0
E Outlook view grouping keeps changing Using Outlook 3
Wayne Outlook locks up when opening "Manage Rules & Alerts" Using Outlook 3
G Personal Settings within Outlook Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2013 reminder email by using Outlook vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
H Outlook 2019 Certificate error Using Outlook 2
B Outlook 2013 erratically deleting original file that is attached Using Outlook 0
V Outlook Forms: Formatting a Label with 2 different styles Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Outlook 2016 Outlook randomly unhides from taskbar Using Outlook 12
X Using Outlook 2013 and Outlook 365 Using Outlook 1
V Date and/or time error in Outlook Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Sending email from Office 365 alias in Outlook Using Outlook 3
B Spam folder not showing in Outlook Using Outlook 5