Outlook hangs when IMAP server is unavailable

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ChrisCharette

I use Outlook 2010 and connect to an Exchange server in cached mode. I also set up an account to an IMAP server that is blocked when I'm in the office. When I work at home, my laptop can connect to the IMAP server and everything works fine, even though the Exchange server may not be available until I connect via the VPN client.

For this to work when I go from home into the office, I had to remove the IMAP client from the "All Accounts" send/receive group so the automatic send/receive does not hang my Outlook. Outlook 2007 would spend a lot of time trying to connect to a blocked IMAP server but it did not hang the rest of Outlook like Office 2010 does. Is there anything else I can do do I can add my IMAP account back into the "All Accounts" group and still have Outlook 2010 work? It forces me to have to remember to perform a separate send/receive action just to get IMAP mail.

H

Harry Yuan

Hi,

From your description , I understand that you outlook crashed on IMAP account server.

Try a new Outlook profile to test the issue:

Test with a new Outlook profile

1. Exit Outlook.

2. Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.

3. Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.

4. Click Add.

5. Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.

6. Start Outlook, and choose this new profile.

If this problem does not occur in the new Outlook profile, the old Outlook is corrupted. We can delete that and use a new Outlook profile.

Sincerely,

Harry

C

ChrisCharette

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I did try a new profile too, one of the first things I tried, and in fact, it's this new profile that I'm working from when I discovered that I'd have to remove the IMAP from automatic and "All Account" sync'ing. It just seems that the IMAP services in 2010 are way more sensitive to connectivity and folder data than in 2007, and the overall appearance because of that is that this release is not ready for the masses. Too bad, it's already being delivered....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Outlook 2010 IMAP stalls/hangs on email deletes Using Outlook 3
C Outlook 2007 hangs on send/receive for unread AOL IMAP messages Using Outlook 3
C Outlook 2016/2019 hangs after being open for an extended period Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2010 hangs during message send/receive Using Outlook 2
I Outlook 2010 calendar hangs Exchange Server Administration 2
S Outlook 2007 Running on Windows 7 hangs on send Using Outlook 7
A Outlook.exe 32 process hangs, can't be ended without reboot Using Outlook 1
R Preparing to Send hangs Outlook 2007 after recent Windows Update... Using Outlook 5
A outlook hangs when "loading" a folder Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 2007 hangs under Windows 7 - after iTunes sync... Using Outlook 1
T Outlook Hangs When Clicking Send Using Outlook 2
N Shared Calendar in Public folder hangs when accessing from Outlook 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
P Outlook 2010 hangs when loading in "processing" Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 2007 hangs on a message that is displayed in preview mode Using Outlook 4
M Sent Email hangs in taskbar with Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2007 hangs on receiving last message Using Outlook 3
P Outlook 2007/Exchange hangs all the time. Can I make it connect to Exchange on demand only? Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2010 hangs up--very frustrated Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2007 hangs - AppHangB1 Using Outlook 3
J Outlook hangs with OutlookConnector and gmail - New problem Using Outlook 6
J Outlook 2007 with connector hangs when updating GMail account Using Outlook 3
O Outlook 2007 hangs when opening Tasks Using Outlook 2
J Outlook 2007 and 2010 - hangs at "Loading Profile" on startup Using Outlook 11
W Outlook.exe for Outlook 2007 and 2010 hangs on closing, when Office Communicator 2007 R2 client is r Using Outlook 6
P Outlook hangs on exit. cannot re-open unless process is ended Using Outlook 1
T Outlook 2007 hangs when cursor passes over a hyperlink Using Outlook 2
B Outlook 2010 Hangs on Splash Screen with "Processing" message Using Outlook 2
H Outlook hangs on last mail received on every first start of the day. Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2010 very slow and hangs Using Outlook 2
T Outlook 2007 - E-Mail hangs in Outbox after adding a certain number of contacts. Using Outlook 3
Z Outlook 2010 Hangs When Importing A Large E-mail Folder Using Outlook 41
J outlook 2007 hangs on send/receive on intial start up with 5 seconds left Using Outlook 7
R Office Outlook 2010 Hangs when opening a calendar event.__ Using Outlook 12
O Outlook 2010 (RTM) Hangs is it Outlook Connector and the two hotmail accounts? Using Outlook 9
A Custom form - hitting 'next item' button hangs Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Outlook 2007 caendar hangs when I select today's day BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
I Outlook 2010 stops working and 'hangs'. Using Outlook 7
S Outlook hangs when clicking on Calendar BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
H Outlook/BCM hangs when using the assistent for sharing a database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
J Outlook 2007 hangs when Calendar tab is clicked Exchange Server Administration 49
P outlook 2008 search box criteria couldn't be saved Using Outlook 2
pcunite Outlook 2019/O365 Build 13127.20408 errors when using MAPI calls Using Outlook 0
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2010 Outlook in Windows 10 keeps asking for user name and password repeatedly Using Outlook 12
S Outlook mail adressing stops after first match in GAL Using Outlook 0
A Apply Selected Emails to outlook rules and Run Rules Using Outlook 5
T Changing Sent Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 0
J How do I disable advertising in Outlook 2019? Using Outlook 5
S Outlook (2016 32bit; Gmail IMAP) - Save sent message to Outllook Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Unable to Sync Web/Android MS To Do with Windows Outlook Tasks Using Outlook 3