Outlook profile migration during Office 2010 upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MSO2SMR

I am using the Office Configuration Tool to build a settings package for our upgrade to Office 2010 Pro Plus. I have run into a problem with the Outlook piece. If I don't remove previous versions of Outlook during the install, the Outlook profiles will migrate, but I am left with Office 2003 remnants in Add/Remove Programs. If I do remove previous versions of Outlook, it also removes the user profiles, and nothing is migrated. Is there a way to migrate the profiles without manual intervention, and leave a "clean" ARP?

J

Jahawk

Hi,

Why do you need to migrate the Outlook profiles?

Are you moving the users to another machine?

Unless you're needing to make a change to the user's Outlook profile, I would suggest always going with the option "Use existing profile".

What happens when you opt for this setting? --What does the user see when they launch Outlook 2010 for the first time in their default Outlook profile?

Additionally, you cannot have side-by-side installations of Outlook. When you install Outlook 2010 (or 2007), the installation will remove previous versions of Outlook.

You don't mention what the remnants are of Office 2003, but my guess is that they are additional components or whatever that were installed on top of Office 2003. The remnants would have their own uninstall, so that's probably why they were not removed during the Office 2010 installation.

I'd suggest posting to an Office Setup forum to see what they have to say.

Lastly......

Your Outlook profiles are stored here in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

Paths to PST files and other settings that would point locally are stored in the various keys\settings. This is one of the reasons why we don"t support deploying Outlook profiles via registry file. The machine you import the profile on may\may not have what the imported Outlook profile is referenced to.

Hope that helps. I wasn't sure what exactly you were trying to achieve with regards to Outlook 2010 so I tried to cover as much ground as possible.

Take care,

Jahawk MSFT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B The Outlook 2016 Profile that isn't always there Using Outlook 2
T Migrating Profile/Account Settings To New PC for Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
R Would creating a new profile cause Outlook to download all the old mails from the server? Using Outlook 1
R Add Exchange Account to existing POP3 Outlook 2007 Profile Using Outlook 0
D Creating an outlook session from Access vba but run silently. With A specific profile Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Outlook 2003 - Do I need a new profile? Using Outlook 2
neobite Maximum number of Exchange accounts in an Outlook profile Using Outlook 4
Lucylou Outlook 2013 Adding Outlook.com breaks profile, "Outlook not working" messag Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
C Displaying Profile Pictures in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
N Outlook user with 13 shared mailboxes open in profile Using Outlook 1
O Add please, Outlook Autocomplete working per account in multi profile ! Outlook Wishlist 5
P Cannot open Options Menu Outlook 2007 and Cannot create a new profile Using Outlook 0
C Using iCloud in more than one Outlook profile Using Outlook 0
T Outlook 2013 Loading Profile Using Outlook 2
C Outlook Profile Corrupt...Help!!!!! Using Outlook 0
Y Moving outlook data/profile from windows 2010 to mac 2011 Using Outlook 3
R Simple Sharing of Outlook Profile Using Outlook 1
Z Move outlook 2010 profile from one computer to another Using Outlook 7
J [outlook-users] Icloud + Mapi profile + Using Outlook 1
J Account, profile, and PST naming in Outlook 2010 IMAP Using Outlook 2
Z All of a sudden Microsoft outlook 2007 lost its profile Using Outlook 18
Z Missing email accounts even though they show in my Outlook 2007 profile Using Outlook 3
P Default Profile in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 5
W Profile Pane in 2010 Outlook - Can it be turned off or closed? Using Outlook 4
B Outlook 2010 cannot get past Loading Profile when starting Using Outlook 3
B Recover my outlook profile and personal folders Using Outlook 2
E How to Fix My outlook profile Using Outlook 2
R Re: Outlook 2010 (Windows 7) - 'Choose Profile' pop-up continues to appear despite clicking 'Set as default profile' Using Outlook 1
B Trying to restore data in Outlook and I get an error message to update the profile but when I click OK it takes me right out Using Outlook 7
S Outlook 2010 creates duplicated profile Exchange Server Administration 5
J Using roaming profile wiht Outlook Anywhere Using Outlook 3
Z Outlook 2010 will not open - scanpst.exe. worked once now get to 'Loading Profile' and stays there (win 7) Using Outlook 1
K Problems with Exchange 2010, Outlook 2010, Windows XP SP3 ... Loading Profile Exchange Server Administration 4
A New Outlook 2010 profile set up in computer #1 but won't setup in computer #2. Using Outlook 3
B Having trouble with an Outlook Profile. Can I uninstall Outlook 2010 and install it again? Using Outlook 11
D When adding a new Outlook 2010 profile, I get the error code 0x80040605 and cannot add an email acco Using Outlook 5
F Create a second Outlook profile to handle a second email account. Using Outlook 2
T Default Windows Profile causing issues with MS Exchange & Outlook Setup Using Outlook 1
M Cannot synchronize with the Outlook profile you are using, because a different profile was previousl Using Outlook 1
S outlook profile keeps corrupting even after creating new profile Using Outlook 11
N need help retrieving email from previous Outlook Profile Using Outlook 7
E After 2010 Office Beta expired, my 2007 Outlook version stopped working properly. Can not access correct profile and synchronization with Blackberry p Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2007 and 2010 - hangs at "Loading Profile" on startup Using Outlook 11
B Outlook 2007 repeatedly asks for passord in one profile only Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2010 (Windows 7) - "Choose Profile" pop-up continues to appear despite clicking "Set as defa Using Outlook 5
J Outlook 2010: Possible to config per Profile junk list instead of per account? Using Outlook 2
T CAS Array/RPCClientAccessServer and Outlook profile experiences Exchange Server Administration 8
D Re: Outlook profile name shows email instead of displayname configured in exchange server Using Outlook 2
M Move Mailbox from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2010 (no DAG) - Client Outlook MAPI Profile still lists Exchange Server Administration 9
C Creating an Outlook Profile for RPC over HTTP client Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1