Outlook profile migration during Office 2010 upgrade?

M

MSO2SMR

I am using the Office Configuration Tool to build a settings package for our upgrade to Office 2010 Pro Plus. I have run into a problem with the Outlook piece. If I don't remove previous versions of Outlook during the install, the Outlook profiles will migrate, but I am left with Office 2003 remnants in Add/Remove Programs. If I do remove previous versions of Outlook, it also removes the user profiles, and nothing is migrated. Is there a way to migrate the profiles without manual intervention, and leave a "clean" ARP?

J

Jahawk

Hi,

Why do you need to migrate the Outlook profiles?

Are you moving the users to another machine?

Unless you're needing to make a change to the user's Outlook profile, I would suggest always going with the option "Use existing profile".

What happens when you opt for this setting? --What does the user see when they launch Outlook 2010 for the first time in their default Outlook profile?

Additionally, you cannot have side-by-side installations of Outlook. When you install Outlook 2010 (or 2007), the installation will remove previous versions of Outlook.

You don't mention what the remnants are of Office 2003, but my guess is that they are additional components or whatever that were installed on top of Office 2003. The remnants would have their own uninstall, so that's probably why they were not removed during the Office 2010 installation.

I'd suggest posting to an Office Setup forum to see what they have to say.

Lastly......

Your Outlook profiles are stored here in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

Paths to PST files and other settings that would point locally are stored in the various keys\settings. This is one of the reasons why we don"t support deploying Outlook profiles via registry file. The machine you import the profile on may\may not have what the imported Outlook profile is referenced to.

Hope that helps. I wasn't sure what exactly you were trying to achieve with regards to Outlook 2010 so I tried to cover as much ground as possible.

Take care,

Jahawk MSFT