not able to recieve Internal and external email on a 2010 mailbox... attempting exch 2003 transition

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Chris

Im going thru a exchange 2003/exchange2010 transition. I've had the server up for about 2 weeks and trying to get things to work. The install went great. Testing has been a headache. Initially, I could send and receive email (internal) from users on the exchange 2003 server to users on the exchange 2010 server. The issue I was trying to resolve was the users on exchange 2010 server could not send email (external), but could receive (external) email.

After some searching online, I decided to delete the SMTP connector on the exchange 2003 server and re-create. After that, my exchange 2010 users were able to send (internal/external) emails. However I have a new problem;

If I attempt to reply to the emails sent from my exchange 2010 users, both internal and external, I get a error(error details depend which mail service I am using), but I believe they are all the same.

This error is from an internal reply;

--------
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
Subject: RE: internal test
Sent: 10/25/2010 12:44 PM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:
exchtest on 10/25/2010 12:45 PM
A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. Contact your administrator.
<mail.domain.com #5.3.5>

------
this error is from a gmail account;

------
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.
Delivery to the following recipients failed.
exchtest@domain.com
Final-Recipient: rfc822;exchtest@domain.com
Action: failed
X-Display-Name: exchtest

-----
I did some testing on both servers....

* I am able to telnet from the exchange 2003 to exchange 2010 and visa versa

* I ran the MailFlow troubleshooter and received the following results;

-----
Area->Mail Acceptance->Server->'server name'->Mail submission failed: Error Message: The SMTP host was not specified.

I am at a loss here, wondering if someone could provide some insight.

Mark C

T

TWHarrington

Do you have multiple send connectors across your organization? What do your MX records look like? Are you just delivering inbound on one of the servers?

Numeric Code: 5.3.5
Possible Cause: A loop-back situation where the server is configured to loop back on itself was detected.
Troubleshooting: If you have multiple SMTP virtual servers that are configured on your Exchange computer, make sure that they are serving unique incoming ports and that the outgoing SMTP port configuration is valid to avoid looping between local virtual servers. Check the configuration of the server's connectors for loops. For example, make sure that no connectors exist that have the address space of the local organization, unless you share the domain and you do not select Use DNS to route to each address space on this connector. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

321721 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321721/ ) Sharing SMTP address spaces in Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange Server 2003

Make sure that if there are multiple virtual servers, that none are set to All Unassigned.

M

Mark Chris

Do you have multiple send connectors across your organization? What do your MX records look like? Are you just delivering inbound on one of the servers?

Numeric Code: 5.3.5
Possible Cause: A loop-back situation where the server is configured to loop back on itself was detected.
Troubleshooting: If you have multiple SMTP virtual servers that are configured on your Exchange computer, make sure that they are serving unique incoming ports and that the outgoing SMTP port configuration is valid to avoid looping between local virtual servers. Check the configuration of the server's connectors for loops. For example, make sure that no connectors exist that have the address space of the local organization, unless you share the domain and you do not select Use DNS to route to each address space on this connector . For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

321721 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321721/ ) Sharing SMTP address spaces in Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange Server 2003

Make sure that if there are multiple virtual servers, that none are set to All Unassigned .
It was the " all unassigned" in each virtual server in the two routing groups that was causing the problem. thanks for the assistance, I spent two days trying to figure this out before posting.

Mark C

Status
Not open for further replies.