Exchange 2010 public folders cannot be opened from Outlook, but can from OWA

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thomas Walters

Performing a 2003 to 2010 transition. Verified public folder DB resides on MBX server. Synchronized hierarchy with Exchange 2003 PF tree. Used script to add PF replicas for all public folders on the 2010 MBX server. If OWA is used, 2010 mbx user can see and use public folders hosted on the 2010 server. When Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007 used, 2010mbx user cannot open the public folder node. When checking the connection status, the directory and mailbox entries all connect, the best for the public folders entry is " connecting" for about 10 seconds, then it just goes away. Using the same copy of Outlook allows a 2003 mbx user to connect and use public folders on a 2003 server.

While troubleshooting another issue, I disabled the SSL requirement on the OWA virtual directory (from IIS Mgr) on the CAS server. Voila! Outlook 2003 and 2007 users can now connect to the public folder database on the 2010 server. I can't leave SSL requirement disabled, but I can't figure out what's happening with Public Folder access. I saw a post suggesting disabling the SSL requirement on the /public virtual folder, but that does not allow access.

The post on the Internet that matches my circumstances most closely said the solution to his problem was a call to Microsoft and tweaking the TCP parameters for the Broadcom cards installed in his Exchange server. All my machines are virtual, running on vSphere using the VMware network adapter version 3.

I've disabled the RPC encryption requirement on the CAS.

Help!

Tom

A

Allen Song

Hi,

Did you confirm the hierarychy and replicas to be moved on the Exchange 2010 correctly? You can check the error message in the Event Log.

Could you view all the replicas by using Public Folder Management Tool on the Exchange 2010?

I suspect that Outlook clients didn't get the correct replicas from Exchange 2010, then try to access from Exchange 2003.

Thanks

Allen

Allen Song

T

Thomas Walters

The problem has been resolved by rebooting the Exchange 2010 mailbox server holding the public folder database. Man, I hate it when rebooting solves a problem like this! I hope this post saves other admins some frustration.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.