Message tracking logs - enabled on which servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ssssstew

Hi All,

with reference to

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997984.aspx

It says that message tracking can be enabled on Hub and Mailbox servers, so on which server is it recommended? Dont want to double up on logs.

Currently our Ex 2003 environment logs them to a SAN drive, so its pretty big. Im thinking of just enabling on the mailbox servers and have them put it on our SAN drives (probably the database LUN), whats everyones thoughts on this?

Cheers

Stew

Stew

M

mjolinor

The only events you'll get from the mailbox tracking logs is Submit events on emails that were sent from the mailbox the the hub transport servers. The hub transport server message tracking logs is where all the "meat" is. If you only want to keep one set, keep the HT logs.[string](0..33|%{[char][int](46+("686552495351636652556262185355647068516270555358646562655775 0645570").substring(($_*2),2))})-replace " "

S

Steve Goodman

Agree with Rob. The HT servers are where the relevant information you'll want will be stored, keep those logs if you have to choose.

Steve

Steve Goodman
Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

H

Harikrishnan Sivaprakasam

Hi,

Lets read it very closely

"Message tracking records the SMTP transport activity of all messages transferred to and from a computer running Exchange 2010 that has the Hub Transport, Edge Transport, or Mailbox server role installed"

i don't think its going to perform different action depends where (HT or MBX or ET) it enabled. Anyway it's going to record transport activity.

Since its more related to HT, Hub server is a better place to enable "Message Tracking"

Regards, Hari | MCSE+ Messaging

S

ssssstew

Cool thanks all :)

Is ther much reason to enable connectivity and protocol logging on the hub as well?

Or is it a setting which needs only be used if we are having issues?

Stew

S

Steve Goodman

Hi Stew,

I'd only bother if you are troubleshooting issues.

Steve

Steve Goodman
Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

N

Neil Hobson

Yep, agree with Steve - probably no need unless you've got to troubleshoot a specific issue. Don't forget Stew that these logs can be configured to only take up a certain amount of disk space so you don't necessarily need to worry about filling a volume, etc.Principal Consultant, Silversands | www.silversands.co.uk | www.msexchange.org/neil_hobson

Status
Not open for further replies.