dual site DAG configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

binbash

New to exchange and looking at deploying an exchange organization containing 6 vmware virtual machines in two sites (active/active) connected via redundant 10Mbps links to serve ~350 users, as follows:

SITE A

1 x CAS / HUB / FSW

2 x Mailbox servers

SITE B

1 x CAS / HUB / FSW

2 x Mailbox servers

The 4 mailbox nodes would make up 2 x 2-node DAGs.

DAG 1

Would have 1 node at SITE A and the other at SITE B. SITE A would be active under normal operation serving local users, the CAS/HUB server at SITE A would serve as the FSW for DAG 1.

DAG 2

Would have 1 node at SITE A and the other at SITE B. SITE B would be active under normal operation serving local users, the CAS/HUB server at SITE B would serve as the FSW for DAG 2.

CAS/HUB

2 content filtering mail relays exist at SITE A delivering mail to the CAS/HUB at SITE A and 1 content filtering mail relay exists at SITE B delivering mail to the CAS/HUB at SITE B, all the relays are internet facing MX hosts for domains hosted in the exchange organization.

I expect in this configuration that WAN link failures would have no effect except to delay replication and that mailbox servers will be highly available failing over automatically. Client access failover will be manual and delayed by DNS TTL on A records. Clients in SITE A and B would be using different 5 minute TTL A records for access, each pointing to the local CAS under normal operation. The A records would resolve to internal addresses when using internal name servers and external addresses when using external name servers.

Questions:

-thoughts?

-what are my options for outbound mail routing? I assume that I'm able to specify different smart hosts for different HUB servers?

-is it recommended to have mailbox servers failover manually or automatically in this configuration?

-is there a better way to deal with client access failover?

-would a complete failure of all exchange servers at one site cause the passive copy at the alternate site to not be automatically activated? If so how much manual intervention would be required to force the passive copy to active if the FSW and normally active mailbox server go down? Would setting an alternate witness server fix this?

Thanks.

S

Sembee [MVP]

I see nothing wrong with what has been planned, although I wouldn't have Outlook pointing directly to the CAS servers, I would still be setting up a Client Access Array, even if it is only pointing to one server rather than a NLB cluster or similar. It will make life much easier for you and should be configured before you put any Outlook clients on to it. Then if you have to switch the CAS server for any reason (second server, replacement server, failover etc), doing so is very easy. If you introduce a CAS array later, or have to change the CAS server, then Outlook has to be touched to get it to update. Whereas using a CAS array means you just change the DNS and wait a few minutes.

If you lose everything in the other site, then I would expect the passive database to fail to come up automatically. This is actually a good thing, because the most likely reason is going to be a failure of the WAN. No WAN is guaranteed to be up 100% of the time. While that isn't a physical loss of the services, as far as the other side is concerned it is identical to that scenario.

For this very reason I would not want any automated way of the second site coming up on its own when access to the FSW is lost as that would cause a split brain scenario.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

J

James-Luo

Q: “would a complete failure of all exchange servers at one site cause the passive copy at the alternate site to not be automatically activated? If so how much manual intervention would be required to force the passive copy to active if the FSW and normally active mailbox server go down? Would setting an alternate witness server fix this?”

Yes. Alternative witness server is used for such disaster

Datacenter Switchovers

Resources:

DAG Alternate Witness Server

James Luo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Form Position with Dual Monitors Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Fozzie Bear Outlook 2010 or 2013 Dual Configuration Exchange + IMAP Exchange Server Administration 6
J Dual calendars, solved, but others can't view Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2007 Custom Form - Dual Addresses and Mailing Address Using Outlook 6
R user with dual addresses but only 1 email displayed Using Outlook 2
S Change IP address of dual role Hub/CAS server? Exchange Server Administration 7
S Hub/CAS dual role - load balancing query Exchange Server Administration 3
E Dual Facebook Accounts and Outlook 2007 Social Network Accounts Using Outlook 1
T Configuring a Single Exchange forest in a Dual AD environment Exchange Server Administration 2
A Exchange 2010 DAG Configuration issues with dual NICs Exchange Server Administration 2
R Update of Windows XP time-zone bugging in Outlook 2010 with dual time-zone calendar Using Outlook 2
D Removing multiple Exchange 2007 servers on the same Domain and site Exchange Server Administration 1
M Exchange 2010 OWA Redirect with Authentication Across AD Site Exchange Server Administration 1
A Exchange 2010 CAS Failover from Internet Facing site to Non-Internet Facing Site - Certificate Issue Exchange Server Administration 3
O How do I failover to my DR Site. Exchange Server Administration 13
J Cross AD Site Free Busy / Availability Issue Exchange Server Administration 3
S DAG Deployment Design with site resiliance Exchange Server Administration 2
X Single AD site with DR Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 6
S Exchange 2010 Design Consideration in Multi Site Topology Exchange Server Administration 3
B Active Active Site Resilience Exchange Server Administration 3
D I can't set up my account because the site does not accept my email account Using Outlook 2
P Exchange 2010 SP1 Cross Site CAS connection disable Exchange Server Administration 2
S Exchange 2010 - Out of Office not working - MAC Entourage cannot connect to EWS (Default Web Site) Exchange Server Administration 1
C Site resilient exchange 2010 design Exchange Server Administration 3
S When I recieve mail, if I click on a site in the mail, it will not let me go to the site. It tells me 'This operation has been canceled due to re Using Outlook 2
D outlook folder contents not syncing with hotmail site Using Outlook 1
S single DAG two AD sites cross site database failure Exchange Server Administration 3
K DR site resiliency design with Exchange 2010 - shared or different namespace for cas. Exchange Server Administration 1
Z Exchange 2010 Site Resilient Deployment issue (Important) Exchange Server Administration 1
M Cannot relay emails to a remote AD site Exchange Server Administration 2
B OWA issues (CAS Proxying - Site to Site) Exchange Server Administration 4
M SSO to OWA from site using Integrated Authentication Exchange Server Administration 5
S One CAS Array for mulitple site Exchange Server Administration 2
C Multiple CAS servers in different sites - one Reverse Proxied site? Using Outlook 1
D DAG for site resiliency Exchange Server Administration 4
J DAG for site resillience Exchange Server Administration 4
J DAG for site resillience Exchange Server Administration 3
B Do we need to create a CAS Array for a single server site? Exchange Server Administration 3
P Looking for suggestions regarding a multi-site high availability/disaster resistant design Exchange Server Administration 1
M When I receive email with links to web site it tell me that I need to contact an administrator Using Outlook 1
E Exchange 2007 multi-site cluster and load balancing Exchange Server Administration 2
E Site issue: Part Outlook 2010, Part Outlook 2007. Exchange 2007 Using Outlook 3
J Exchange 2010 - existing Windows site with Exchange 2003 - collocate possible? Exchange Server Administration 1
C Change AD site of Edge Server Exchange Server Administration 6
M When use an WAN High Availability and when Site Resilience? Exchange Server Administration 8
A How to setup High availability HUB and CAS in DR site? The DR site has different subnet Exchange Server Administration 4
S Stretching an AD site and DAG's Exchange Server Administration 5
M Active/Active user distribution site resiliency Exchange Server Administration 2
S DAG Membership/DR SIte Exchange Server Administration 1
M Cannot add inter-site nodes to cluster Exchange Server Administration 3