Access CAS Array Behind ISA 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scott_k22792

Perhaps a question more for the ISA group but I am hoping the exchange guru's can help me. I am trying to access a CAS Array behind an ISA 2006 server. If I specify the NLB virtual IP in a ISA rule the site does not load from the internet. If I specify either of CAS array member servers specifically, the OWA page WILL load.
I was not aware there were any particular tricks to make isa work with a nlb array behind it. Internally the array and virtual ip work as expected.
Really hoping someone can shed some light on this.
Thanks!!

E

Ed Crowley [MVP]

I don't know why NLB wouldn't work behind ISA, but I strongly recommend that you create a server farm in ISA for the CAS servers and use that instead of connecting to the load-balanced address, because ISA's internal load-balancing mechanism is more robust than NLB.Ed Crowley MVP " There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

B

Brian Day MCITP

CAS array is used for MAPI/RPC. What protocol are you trying to use?Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server
My posts are provided "AS IS" with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.

S

scott_k22792

Im trying to connect to the OWA web interface from an external client, so https in this case. I understand that the cas array handles mapi and rpc for internal clients. But if the cas array does not handle https requests to the owa interface how do you provide a highly available OWA environment to clients outside of the network?

S

scott_k22792

It seems I may have answered my own question in that in order to load balance incoming owa requests i need to do it at the isa level for http and https. I guess if I use a hardware load balancer i can solve all these problems in one.

B

Brian Day MCITP

But if the cas array does not handle https requests to the owa interface how do you provide a highly available OWA environment to clients outside of the network?
A CAS Array is nothing more than a logical container in AD used by the RpcClientAccessServer attribute on databases and then referenced via the Outlook profile. It doesn't actively take place in the load balancing.

Your Windows NLB, or Hardware Load Balancer, or Web Farm within ISA are the items used for actually balancing the HTTPS or RPC traffic among the CAS servers you want to.

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server
My posts are provided "AS IS" with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W CAS Array and Autodiscover for Internal and external access Exchange Server Administration 25
T CAS array and kerberos authentication to RPC client access service Exchange Server Administration 15
2 muliptle external domains to access one CAS server Exchange Server Administration 4
S CAS access problem with new Outlook 2003 profile to Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
M CAS access and Mailbox servers with Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 13
J Lockdown access to CAS Server so only domain member computers can access Exchange Server Administration 3
D Lost Access to Custom Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Jennifer Murphy Grant R/W (update) access to a friend Using Outlook 3
O The page that you are trying to access cannot be loaded. Using Outlook 0
T Render Outlook emails in MS access as they appear in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
T Outlook "A program is trying to access Outlook" Using Outlook 3
GregS Can't access archive file Using Outlook 5
J What is the best EntryID format to set on MS Access table Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J No access to a Database BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
R How can I access my emails from corrupt offline files of MS Outlook ? Using Outlook 1
V Change default default save location to Quick Access Using Outlook 1
R Quick Access view in File Explorer when saving attachments Using Outlook 0
D Disable or hide "reply" and "reply to all" and "forward" in email from access vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Open an outlook email by Subject on MS Access linked table with VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
G Windows Update Causes BCM Database Access Problem? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
D populating listbox on custom form from Access Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
O Synchronize safe persons Outlook 2016 -> Outlook Web Access (OWA) Using Outlook 30
K How to access emails found to be located in "Top of Outlook data file"? Using Outlook 3
R Categorize Button in Quick Access Toolbar Disappears on New Email Using Outlook 1
O Outlook Web Access - how to disable spam filter Using Outlook 6
T Lost access to remote BCM database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
F Outlook 2016 bulk email from access Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Programmatic access grayed out Using Outlook 10
Diane Poremsky Synchronize Quick Access Toolbar and Ribbons? New Slipstick.com Articles 0
G Can't open .pst. Message could not access default folder (Outlook 2010 (.pst). Before that was backi Using Outlook 0
D Creating an outlook session from Access vba but run silently. With A specific profile Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Cannot access outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
B Can't expose sender email address when linking outlook to access Using Outlook 3
Diane Poremsky Change Outlook's Programmatic Access Options New Slipstick.com Articles 0
S how to access the properties of a contact given distlist.member object Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C OWA External Access - No URL / URL Invalid Exchange Server Administration 2
G Adding a contact to Outlook with a custom form using Access VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Merging Word and Access into Outlook Using Outlook 4
I Outlook 2016 and Slow access to Outlook.com IMAP Using Outlook 0
B No permission to access Outlook.pst file Using Outlook 1
Norbert VBA Flag that would indicate the email was sent from Outlook to Access. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Cannot access the Form Editor BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
R The changing way to access information in Office 365 New Slipstick.com Articles 0
M Modifying BCM Database using Access BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
iwshim Skype tool bar in quick access ribon Using Outlook 1
JorgeDario restrict access to a certain folder with vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
U Cannot access fields at bottom of Outlook 2013 Contact Rec. Using Outlook 1
S Can't move the items. The item could not be moved. It was either already moved or deleted, or access Using Outlook 3
A Synchronize Access Table with Outlook Calendar Appointments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R Convert Access table to pst Using Outlook 1