Identify SMTP email submitted from IP or Application for rule creation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bunce

We have a Financial application run off our RDS server which is being switched to send email via SMTP (previously MAPI).

Unfortunately, the application doesn't incorporate any logging of SMTP emails sent, so we'd like to automatically CC any email sent from this app to a particular mailbox.

The STMP email FROM address can vary (any internal email account) and can be sent to internal or external recipients. The app is configured to submit SMTP email to an internal Receive connector setup on our XGE 2010 HT/CAS server (all our internal apps use this). The connector doesn't currently require authentication (only listens on a selected internal IP range) but can be modified as required.

Is there a way that XGE can identify email being sent from this particular application / server so that I can setup a rule to auto-cc this email to a dedicated mailbox?

I've tried to setup a Transport or Journaling rule but can't see any way to identify email being sent just from the IP address of the RDS server. Likewise I can't see a way to create a transport or journalling rule on a particular Receive connector as I could conceivably setup a dedicated Connector just for this application.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,
A

S

Sembee [MVP]

If you look at a message as received, does the received from field contain the data that you need? If so there might be a Transport rule option you can use - I haven't got access to E2010 system at the moment to check.

Failing that you would need to have a custom transport sink written to do it for you.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

M

mjolinor

Set up a test for a Received header that contains the pattern of the IP address of your RDS server. [string](0..33|%{[char][int](46+(" 686552495351636652556262185355647068516270555358646562655775 0645570" ).substring(($_*2),2))})-replace " "

B

Bunce

As mentioned in my post - the FROM address varies. There is no pattern on sender or recipient.

I think the identification needs to be by either:
IP off the machine submitting the message The Receive connector used Possibly the account authenticated against in the SMTP properties if I configure the receive connector to require authentication

A

B

Bunce

Received Header... I must have missed that. Thanks - could well work - I'll check it out.

S

Sembee [MVP]

You need to look at the headers.

Receive From is NOT the from address, but the address of the server that the server recieved the email from.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

B

Bunce

I've sent a few test mesages and the beginning of the header looks ideal. It contains:

Received: from MYSERVER (10.1.1.1) by mail.domain.gov.au (10.1.1.2)

> . where MyServer is the RDS box. So assuming the Transport rule uses the condition 'when the message header matches text patterns', I'd configure
Message Header to 'Received' text patterns to a Reg Ex which matches 'MYSERVER (10.1.1.1)'

If multiple other apps start sending email from the RDS box, then I could further filter it out by setting up a dedicated receive connector for each app and use the second IP address in that header (10.1.1.2) to identify which connector is being used.

Any tips on where to bone up on Reg Expresssions? Unfortunately I haven't had much exposure as yet.

Cheers,

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Identify Number of email messages opened Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
S VBA to identify a specific email and copy the attachment from it to the network Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
M Best way to identify/designate contacts in incoming emails? Using Outlook 4
makinmyway How can I easily identify and delete from my contacts defunct email addresses? Using Outlook 2
G How can I identify in VBA if the current window is an item or a folder? Using Outlook 3
N How to centrally identify permissions granted to user mailbox. Using Outlook 1
S Identify weekend from daily RecurrencePattern Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Identify Read Recepits Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
H Better way of writing Macro? Identify multiple types of attachmen Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
D How to identify a mail item from a public folder in MS Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S Correct way to Identify is Mail is opened in Edit Mode Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Send email via SMTP - use transport rules to add to senders inbox (then rule to move to sent items Exchange Server Administration 1
T SMTP messages stuck in Outbox Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Exchange Server and SMTP Servers New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Common Outlook Outgoing Server (SMTP) Errors New Slipstick.com Articles 0
S Outlook 2013 sends plain text with attachment mail as uuencoded with SMTP conn Using Outlook 2
T Outlook 2013, McAfee Security Suite and SMTP/POP3 Using Outlook 3
E msg attachments lose their recipients "smtp" address Using Outlook 2
H Mailing List account needed with remote smtp auth facility Exchange Server Administration 3
K External Mtg Invitees have =SMTP: added to email address after mtg saved Using Outlook 5
C How to get SMTP out of email address when exporting contacts? Using Outlook 2
N Beginner - Setting SMTP settings/travelling Using Outlook 4
C Custom Form that allows a single SMTP header to be parsed to Field Chooser? Using Outlook 4
N cannot send emails-SMTP Ports not working for Hotmail Pop3 Using Outlook 3
D how can bounce email be captured in smtp server Exchange Server Administration 3
williamlambton Changing 'To' field in message lists to show SMTP address only. Using Outlook 2
S change smtp in exchange account Using Outlook 1
I Outlook on laptops with different ISP SMTP Using Outlook 3
O An unknown error has occurred.____Server: 'smtp.west.cox.net'__Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x8007005 Using Outlook 3
S Internet Mail SMTP Connector Problem on Exchange 2010 after Migration Exchange Server Administration 2
A Task 'Hotmail - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC7D) : 'Your outgoing (SMTP) server does not support Using Outlook 8
T smtp outgoing email server could not be connected Using Outlook 2
R Sending e-mail Outlook 2003(SMTP) using SSL and port 587 Using Outlook 4
S smtp error when password changed but works again with old password Using Outlook 1
K Email sends with no error, but no action on the SMTP server done, only authentization - for some of the outgoing addresses. Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 2010 Exchange / SMTP: unable to send Using Outlook 2
S There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your syste Using Outlook 2
S hosting multiple smtp domains outlook anywhere Exchange Server Administration 1
T How do I get multiple pop3/smtp email accounts to point to the Default Personal Folder in Outlook 20 Using Outlook 5
M SMTP times out when setting up an account in outlook 2010? Using Outlook 2
M Re: How to force routing between two internal smtp domains across Two Edge servers Exchange Server Administration 7
M How to force routing between two internal smtp domains across Two Edge servers Exchange Server Administration 3
S coexist exchange 2010 and 2003 smtp connector issue Exchange Server Administration 2
M FINDING INCOMING AND OUTGOING MAIL SERVERS SUCH AS POP3,IMAPOR HTTP INCOMING AND SMTP OUTGOING TO US Using Outlook 1
J Send from another smtp address that is associated with my Exchange account (without setting up another account and without 'on behalf of') Using Outlook 2
K Move mailbox from 2003 to 2010 smtp changed Exchange Server Administration 1
T Sending reported error (0x80042109) outlook cannot connect to outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server __ Using Outlook 4
U How to customize exch 2010 smtp bounced msg like 5.7.1 or 5.7.11 Exchange Server Administration 2
E Task 'pop.gmail.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC7D) : Your outgoing (SMTP) server does not su Using Outlook 5
1 loosing smtp connection temporerly Using Outlook 2