Installing Exchange 2010 SP1 in a Sub domain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CJ_NO

Hello

Running Exchange 2007 SP3 in the sub domain already. Schema is in the root domain.

2010 sp1 Hub/cas installation was not a problem, but when i installed the 2010 sp1 mailbox role i got the error : Active Directory operation failed on DC01.root.net. This error is not retriable. Additional information: The name reference is invalid.
This may be caused by replication latency between Active Directory domain controllers.

The short story: Setup wasnt able to enable DiscoverySearchMailbox, FederatedEmail... and SystemMailbox since they were in the root domain.

To get around this, i had to spesify a DC in the root domain after the setup had failed on the mailbox role, with the commands:

Enable-Mailbox -Arbitration -DomainController DC01.root.net -Identity " SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}"

Enable-Mailbox -Arbitration -DomainController DC01.root.net -Identity " SystemMailbox{1f05a927-e4e2-46c7-b4d2-78614ca7b39b}"

Enable-Mailbox -Arbitration -DomainController DC01.root.net -Identity " FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042"

Enable-Mailbox -Discovery -DomainController DC01.root.net -Identity " DiscoverySearchMailbox {D919BA05-46A6-415f-80AD-7E09334BB852}"

Get-ADServerSettings | FL (Default settings) on the Mailbox Role gives me:

RunspaceId : 48e0a106-7a5d-43a0-8481-97c2c9678a38
DefaultGlobalCatalog : DC01.root.net
PreferredDomainControllerForDomain : {}
DefaultConfigurationDomainController : SUBDC001.sub.root.net
DefaultPreferredDomainControllers : {DC01.root.net, SUBDC002.sub.root.net}
UserPreferredGlobalCatalog :
UserPreferredConfigurationDomainController :
UserPreferredDomainControllers : {}
RecipientViewRoot : sub.root.net
ViewEntireForest : False
WriteOriginatingChangeTimestamp : False
WriteShadowProperties : False
Identity :
IsValid : True

Would ViewEntireForest:True have fixed it? If so, how can i force that setting while running Setup on the Mailbox role?

So my question is... is this normal? Or did i miss something? If 2010 SP1 setup should be able to handle this, why didn't it?

I would hate for this to come back and haunt me after i migrate users over to 2010 with an error somewhere.

Edit: What about moving DiscoverySearchMailbox, FederatedEmail... and SystemMailbox to the sub domain after running the preps? Or should they always be in the root domain?

Thank you for reading :)

T

Tom Vanopoulos

When installing 2010 SP1 MBX Role in a multiple domain environment, most of the time it would fail becuase of the replication latency between configured DC and perferred GC.

You would need to run the following command to resolve that issue:

Set-ADServerSettings &ndash;PreferredServer <DC FQDN>

Additionl information in the following Microsoft KB.

You cannot create a new Exchange Server 2010 Mailbox database in a multiple domain environment

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977960

MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2007/2010 | MCITP: Server Administrator | MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring | MCP | MCDST

G

Gulab Mallah

I agree with TOM, run this command

Set-ADServerSettings &ndash;PreferredServer <DC FQDN>

Make sure that you run these command before you start the Setup
Setup.com /ps
Setup.com /pl
Setup.com /pd
Setup.com /preparealldomains
Setup.com /preparead

* You can move the Schema Mastere and Domain Naming Master Role to the site where you are installing 2010
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324801

Gulab Skype: gulab.mallah

C

CJ_NO

Sorry for the delay...

The installation failed at first like my original post said. But by specifying a DC in the root domain when enabling the mailboxes, or setting the powershell session for ADServerSettings to ViewEntireForest $True, i could enable the DiscoverySearchMailbox, FederatedEmail... and SystemMailbox users (in the root domain) from the mailbox role in the sub domain after the installation failed.

Since then i've installed a 2nd mailbox role in the sub domain. This installation failed as well with the error " Active Directory operation failed on DC01.root.net. This error is not retriable. Additional information: The name reference is invalid. This may be caused by replication latency between Active Directory domain controllers."

This is my first exchange installation with sub domains in AD. So i'm really just after opinions what other people think/do in situations like this, and if there are things i should be aware of. If there are steps i should performe before installing the mailbox role, so setup actually finishes without errors, i would love to hear about them :)

Currently i'm waiting for more hardware to complete the installation. Looking forward to do some more testing after the ISA and Edge servers are up

K

Kirk Lashbrook

Can't you specify the domain controller to use with Exchange Setup by using the /DomainController switch ?

Status
Not open for further replies.