Exchange 2010 - mailbox migration

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fizzmo

Hi

Trying to migrate a mbx from Exch2003 to Exch2010 [only 2 boxes in the environment] mbx transfer keeps finding a currupt item in " '/Finder/Unread Mail' " even though these are no unread emails. This is move number 400 so far okay, but tried this one 5 times and no change. Any ideas as to why?

K

Khoj Sahiwala

Any events in the Event viewer, increasing diagnostics logging will show more about each message .

G

Gulab Mallah

Specify the corrupt items and start the new move request.
Or one thing you can do is (This it to make the move process faster when you move the mailbox on 2010) Move the mailbox to another database on 2003, once the move mailbox is complete all the corruption will be deleted and keep in mind, you will lose emails (corrupted)

Gulab | Skype: gulab.mallah

G

Gavin-Zhang

Hi Fizzmo,
Per your description, it seems that some corrupted item delay the move request, I would backup the items in the mailbox, and then use the new-moverequest with the parameter baditemlimit, the BadItemLimit parameter specifies the number of bad items to skip if the move request encounters corruption in the mailbox.
Regards!
Gavin

B

Brian Desmond -MVP-

If you are not worried about corrupted items on move process, just set the trash hold to something like this on the move wizard " 999999" and let the move wizard to move the mailboxes to see what happens

ocd
Oz Casey, Dedeal MVP (Exchange) MCITP (EMA), MCITP (SA) MCSE 2003, M+, S+, MCDST Security+, Project +, Server + Http://smtp25.blogspot.com (Blog Http://telnet25.spaces.live.com (Blog) Http://telnet25.wordpress.com (Blog)
The wizard will fail if you specify a value in excess of 50 as the wizard doesn't set AcceptLargeDataLoss to true.

The OP has a messed up search folder - it happens. As others have noted, bump up the Bad Item Limit to something reasonable e.g. 10 and let it run again. You can go a Get-MoveRequest <user> | Set-MoveRequest -BadItemLimit 10 | Resume-MoveRequest to get it going again.

My Book - Active Directory, 4th Edition
My Blog - www.briandesmond.com

F

Fizzmo

Hi All,

Thanks for the posts. Cant accept any corrupted items. Re the increase diagnostic logging, what items do I crease the logging on?

Fizzmo

B

Brian Desmond -MVP-

Hi All,

Thanks for the posts. Cant accept any corrupted items. Re the increase diagnostic logging, what items do I crease the logging on?

Fizzmo
Well your expectations are unreasonable in that case. Diagnostic logging isn't going to buy you anything here. To work around this you're going to need to dismount the store in question on the 2003 box and run isinteg against it iteratively until it reports no issues. That should allow the move to proceed with no bad items.My Book - Active Directory, 4th Edition
My Blog - www.briandesmond.com

F

Fizzmo

Hi All,

Thanks for the posts. Corruption is not an option when dealing with 3rd party clients and Group Board members. The solution was to run the following command: outlook.exe /cleanfinders. This reset all the search folder finders and migration worked as expected.

Fizzmo

G

Gavin-Zhang

Hi Fizzmo,
Thank you very much for your sharing!
Glad to hear that it is resolved.
Regards!
Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies.