Custom NDR / DSN message by domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

giezi4

Hello

We have an Exchange 2010 Server with SP1. The Exchange Server is for two companies with different domains.
If a user send email to an non existent external recipient, the exchange generate a NDR / DSN message. Is it possible to have for every company a different NDR / DSN message (for example with a link to the helpdesk for each company)?

I have found this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125230.aspx
But this is only for global custom NDR / DSN messages. Is there a way to control the NDR / DSN by domain?

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Reto

S

Sembee [MVP]

Your best option would be to simply install the antispam module and then enable recipient filtering. The NDR wouldn't be generated by your server at all, so it wouldn't matter what domain the email was sent to.

That is also the most efficient way of dealing with emails to non valid recipients, as it means your server doesn't have to process them at all. I have a client who drops almost a million messages a day to non-valid recipients. Their bandwidth use dropped by two thirds with recipient validation enabled.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

G

giezi4

Hi Sembee

Thank you for your response!
Yes, for external senders to our domains, this would be the best option. But this was not my question.

My question is for the following situation:

If a employee from our company " A" send a email to a non existent external recipient i would generate a NDR with a helpdesk URL of company A.
The same for company " B" , but with the URL for in the NDR of the helpdesk from company B.
I mean only the NDR for internal users of the exchange server.

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Reto

S

Sembee [MVP]

You can't control the NDR that is generated by the remote site. It might be an NDR that your server generates, it might be an NDR generated by the remote server. There are various formats and error messages for the NDRs, which you cannot control. There is no blanket NDR that you can configure on Exchange.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

A

Allen Song

Hi,

When the email message is rejected by the remote server before accept the message, the local sending server generates the NDR message.

Once the message is accepted by the remote server and rejected due to policy restriction on the destination server, the remote email is responsible for rejecting the message and for generating the NDR.

Thanks

Allen

Allen Song

Status
Not open for further replies.