Proper way to install Exchange 2010 SP1 on a CAS Array

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mniccum

I have been unable to find the proper documentation which outlines installing SP1 on a CAS Array. My first attempt at installing SP1 failed after the CAS/HUB was uninstalled and SP1 had started installing which put me in a situation where I could not do an uninstall or reinstall. I eventaully got it all worked out and now back to RTM. I have an HLB (Kemp 2200) in front of the CAS/HUB. I disabled the CAS/HUB on the HLB that I was attempting to patch and all users continued to work but after reinstalling the CAS/HUB after the SP1 failure users started to get SSL security prompts becasue I had not completed changing all the URLs. The cert didn't match the URL. This is expected except I didn't have the server enabled in the HLB. Is it recommended to remove the CAS server from the CAS Array? This is where I would like to have the proper procedures for installing SP1 on a CAS Array...

S

Sembee [MVP]

The only reason you had problems with your previous installation was because it was a reinstallation. A service pack installation wouldn't have that problem. Therefore you should be able to simply run the setup.exe GUI on one of the nodes and let it complete.

Disabling the server in the load balancer doesn't stop Outlook from connecting to the server. If one of the URLs that it uses resolves to that server, then traffic will be directed to it.

Thus your original plan of removing the server from the load balancer then doing the upgrade was sound. Given the use of a load balancer that is what I would do.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

J

James-Luo

" You need to 'drain stop' each individual CAS server as you patch it anyway to keep the client disconnects and reconnects as low as possible … we do not remove the server from the CAS Array ... Until you have patched your second server and added it into the load-balanced array, you could have a service interruption by the failure of that one server”

----------Refer to <Patching the Multi-Role Server DAG>

Quote: &ldquo;Is it recommended to remove the CAS server from the CAS Array?&rdquo;

I think that depends on the time cost for this patching action, and if your company can accept the service interruption during the patching. Usually, the upgrade schedule is on the weekend, which should manage the impact to the end users at a minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ayzad Proper setup to work with iCloud sync? Using Outlook 5
A Outlook cannot log on. Verify you are connected to the internet & are using the proper server & mail Using Outlook 1
K How to reinstall a proper Exchange connection in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 3
J Search is not returning proper results much of the time... Using Outlook 2
D Check whether mail item is proper for sending or not Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
David in Mississippi New (Feb 2020) install of Outlook 365 - Cannot specify PST for different accounts Using Outlook 0
R Unable to install without email account Using Outlook 4
jChambler Cant install BCM on windows 10 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 12
J Install BCM Client without an local SQl Database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 6
Chris Grew How Long To Install BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
icacream reinstall outlook after new install win7 Using Outlook 2
R Cannot Install Outlook Invalid XML Using Outlook 2
makinmyway Trouble Installing BCM Outlook 2013; Endless Install Loop Happens Using Outlook 0
B OL2010 and install custom WYWO form Using Outlook 1
D 2013 BCM Won't Install BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
S Recover Autocomplete After Computer Failure Re-install Using Outlook 3
T Office2013 and BCM on Windows 8.1 -- install of BCM does not work? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
A how to install or enable categories in OL 2013 for calendar and contacts Using Outlook 5
O RE-install of BCM and previous sync profile conflicts BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
D Can't install here Using Outlook 3
O What are best practices for a re-install Office 13 w/BCM with OS re-install BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
N How to install BCM for Outlook 2013 in Office 365 Small Business Premium BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
J Office + Outlook 2013 installed, but I need to install Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
C VBA problem in new install Using Outlook 3
B Can't install Calendar Printing Assistant - Windows 7 64bit&Office 2010 32bit Calendar Printing Assistant 2
S BCM Install Issues BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
L Can't install contacts Using Outlook 2
K Error upon install Exchange Server Administration 1
S Owa failed to initialize after install of rollup 2 for Exchange 2010 SP1 Exchange Server Administration 9
O Upgrading to Outlook 2010 install / upgrade Frozen in Processing Mode Using Outlook 6
C Enable or install Digital ID for Exchange Users on SBS 2008 Exchange Server Administration 2
J Quick Exchange 2010 install ? Exchange Server Administration 2
D Exchange wont install server 2008 std SP2? Exchange Server Administration 15
F Install the Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1 on Exchange 2 Exchange Server Administration 7
I Error when install Service pack 1 on Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 5
S EMC, EMS & Powershell issues. Cannot manage Exchange 2010 after install Exchange Server Administration 4
M windows 7 with new outlook 2007 install Using Outlook 2
L need to install Office 2010 without click-to-run or uninstall after fully installed. Using Outlook 1
D Install of facebook connector OSCFB-x86-en-us.exe fails Using Outlook 3
S Uninstall exchange 2010 completely after install failed to work. Exchange Server Administration 6
L Trying to install pre-req for Exchange SP1 Exchange Server Administration 17
B Having trouble with an Outlook Profile. Can I uninstall Outlook 2010 and install it again? Using Outlook 11
W Exchange 2010 SP1 Install- Required HotFixes Exchange Server Administration 3
F Exchange 2010 install mistake Exchange Server Administration 18
B Exch 2010 re-install fail Exchange Server Administration 2
M Office 2010 won't install!!! Using Outlook 1
V Problems with Exchange server 2010 mailbox roles Install. Exchange Server Administration 6
B haveing trouble with initial install of exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 6
J can i install Exchange 2010 DAG with any other exchange componenets Exchange Server Administration 4
C Initial Install Outlook 2010 - Error -&gt; can not find OCVsetup[1].msi Using Outlook 2