public calendar using OWA on exchange 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yves MG

Hi All,

I created a public calendar in our compagny, and it works very well with outlook 2010. The only problem is that we can't invite users on appointments using OWA. Is there a way to activate this function, or maybe there is a better way to use common calendar?

The system we use is windows server 2008 and exchange 2010 without sp1.

I already read some posts about it, and the only thing I learned is that microsoft plan to remove public folders in futur versions of exchange.

Any help or suggestion will be appreciated,

Yves

S

Sembee [MVP]

If by Public Calendar you mean a public folder, then inviting is not really something that it is designed to do.
I compare calendars in public folders like a paper diary. Someone (receptionist for example) will manage that diary, entries will be added and removed manually.

If you want something automated, then you should use a resource mailbox instead.

I would also suggest that you update to Exchange 2010 SP1 as well.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

Y

Yves MG

Hi Sembee,

Thanks for interesting my case.

I understand what you mean and I agree with that. But the users can't understand (so do I) why we can invite from outlook and not from OWA. I would just need to notify if possible when a new appointment is set.

Can you explain me?

I will update the exchange to sp1 anyway, but I don't think it will help me with this problem. There is only one button missing on the OWA to invite and it is available in the mailbox calendar itself...

Yves

S

Sembee [MVP]

You can't invite a public folder to a meeting.
You can send a invite from a public folder to someone, but the public folder cannot process the responses because it doesn't publish free busy information. Meetings only work with mailboxes, either user or resource mailbox.

Simon.

Y

Yves MG

I'm sorry I wasn't clear, the question is: why can we do it from outlook and not from the OWA?

Yves

S

Sembee [MVP]

There are many things that can be done from Outlook that cannot be done from OWA. Why Microsoft make the decision on what can and cannot be done is something only they can answer. Don't expect anything to change though, because Microsoft would prefer public folders to go away.

Simon.

Y

Yves MG

Hi James-Luo,

This is a clear answer but if this issue has been under investigation since exchange 2000, I think I will use local calendar and copy paste appointment in the public calendar.

Thanks

Yves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I how to create appointment using saved template onto public folder shared calendar Using Outlook 3
D Record Appointment to Calendar on "Public Folder" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 13
N Public Folder Calendar Permissions Exchange Server Administration 4
C Sync color categories on a Public Calendar across Office 365, PCs, Macs Using Outlook 1
C How do I share/post my calendar to public folders Exchange Server Administration 3
M Including a Public Calendar as a Meeting Recipient Using Outlook 3
R Shared Public calendar folder changing appointments Using Outlook 1
A Major Server Crash - Now Public Calendar Categories Aren't Working! Using Outlook 1
B Linking from Excel to public outlook 2010 calendar. Using Outlook 0
S Public Calendar Meeting Tracking Using Outlook 4
T My Outlook 2007 - (Public folder-Calendar can't insert to My Favourite)but other calender can insert Using Outlook 1
M Is it possible to have a public calendar map on a exchange server 2007 and synchronize this map and the items with outlook 2011 for MAC public map bro Using Outlook 2
I Making public calendar default for generated events Using Outlook 1
S Exchange 2007 public folders issue (calendar items) Exchange Server Administration 2
T 'Other' calendar view not displaying public folder some times Using Outlook 1
N Shared Calendar in Public folder hangs when accessing from Outlook 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
S How can you automatically sync appointments from my personal calendar to a public calendar? Using Outlook 2
I Categories on Shared Public Calendar Using Outlook 5
A Can I change the link to a public published Outlook Calendar? Using Outlook 3
E Outlook 2007: Set Public Calendar as Default Calendar Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 2010 - Calendar in public folder issue Using Outlook 7
S Public Folder Moderated Calendar not showing category colors. Using Outlook 2
B Appointment Items in Public Folder calendar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
T How to copy an appointment from a public calendar to personal cale Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A Created a personal group that now appears to be a public group Using Outlook 3
A Prevent connection to Public Folders on Exchange? Exchange Server Administration 3
R Call a Public Sub when a Flag is clicked on in the Message Preview pane Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Copy Outlook Public Folders to a File Server Shared Folder Using Outlook 0
J Calling a Public sub-routine from the script editor via VB script Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
F How to assign a task to a public task folder? Using Outlook 1
D How to handle filing of emails from an Inbox Subfolder to a specific Public folder Using Outlook 1
R Problem with searching public folders Exchange 2013/16 Exchange Server Administration 2
C Outlook 2016: Searching in all (+public) folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
X Delay sending an email until the next working day (public holidays) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Public folders permissions Exchange Server Administration 1
Diane Poremsky Mail-enable Exchange Public Folders New Slipstick.com Articles 0
K Macro to search emails between two time slots on public folders with excel export Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
Diane Poremsky How to Send Email When Traveling or Using Public Wi-Fi New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Data loss may occur during public folder migration New Slipstick.com Articles 0
S Empty an Office365 public folder containing 20.000 messages Using Outlook 2
D Priasoft Public Folder Syncro? Exchange Server Administration 0
I Random Chinese characters in email copied from a pst file. Exchange Server 2016 Public Folder Exchange Server Administration 1
T Create new item in public folder using VBscript Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Public Folder email error, ndr returned. Exchange Server Administration 1
J Favorites in Public Folders issue Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Last Change attribute set after viewing a public folder contact Exchange Server Administration 0
L any ways to create shortcuts to a public mail folder Using Outlook 4
L Should public contacts folder appear in "People" nav pane? Using Outlook 1
V Macro to open Public Folders subfolder? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Contacts disappear in public folder search Using Outlook 1