Outlook 2007 (cached mode), Exchange 2010 - Cant download Offline Address Book

• Thread starter mattym84
  • Start date Views 2,993
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mattym84

Hi,

Im trying to download the offline address book using Outlook 2007 in cached mode (since the global address list if taken from the OAB)

When i try i get the following error message

Task 'email address' reported error (0x8004010F) : The operation failed. An object cannot be found.

I have checked online and it says to put the full FQDN into my bypass settings in IE, which i have done, but i am still getting the issue.

I can see the Default Offline address book in the EMC, i have noticed that is it distributed via public folders, would this be the issue? If so, how can i change it to be distributed via web based distribution?

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

You can use this to configure the OAB properties at the server level including enabling Web-Based Distribution.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123710.aspx

If you have older Outlook 2003 clients that rely on the public folders then you need to continue to use pf distribution of the OAB as well.

Once you have that set the way you want, update the OAB ( you can simply right-click it in EMC and choose Update)

If that is successful, then restart the Microsoft Exchange File Distribution service on the Client Access Server and the updated OAB files should copied there under the " Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\OAB" directory. ( If they arent there and on the server that you generate the OAB on, then increase diags for the OALGenerator on that server and run Update again and check the event logs)

If all is good so far, Now manually download the OAB from Outlook and see if its successful. If not, then post the errors Outlook gets again as well as the results of Get-OabVirtualDirectory | fl and ensure those are valid.

More info on OABs:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232155.aspx

M

mattym84

Thanks for the reply AndyD_

I have run an update on the OAB, and then restarted the service. When i checked the directory there are no files there. When i check the event viewer, i can't find anything relating to the OAB.

Any ideas???

thanks again!

M

mattym84

One thing i should probably let you know which might help is

The " Default Offline Address List" has a generation server which is our old co-existing Exchange 2003 box.

When i look at the properties of the default offline address list and go into the distribution tab, i dont have the option to select web-based or public folders, its all greyed out.

B

Brian Day MCITP

In order for web based distribution to work you have to make the Generation Server a 2007 or 2010 server. Once you make the generation server 2007 or 2010, then you can add the 2010 CAS servers to the list of web distribution.

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server
My posts are provided "AS IS" with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Yes, as Brian , says, the gen server needs to be one that suports web-based distribution in order to enable it. Once you move the OAB or create a new one on the 2010 side, then those options will light up.
I am a big proponent of moving that functionality over as soon as possible to 2010 and away from the legacy servers.

M

mattym84

Thank you both for your replies.

So if i just create a new OAB and make it the default, and use web distribution on the 2010 box it should hopefully fix everything up

Status
Not open for further replies.