CAS Design Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DG1212

I have 4 Exchange 2010 servers in my environment. One CAS/HT, and mailbox in AD site1 and one CAS/HT and mailbox in AD site2. I know that CAS arrays can't span AD sites, so what it the best way to configure a DR configuration? Would it be better to change the DNS record to point the the CAS/HT in Site2 or to change RpcClientAccessServer switch to point to the alternate CAS?

Are there any other options that are more automatic?

S

Sembee [MVP]

Personally I wouldn't want anything automatic to change the configuration. I like the fact that I have to do something manual, even if this is to just change the DNS record, as it means that the traffic is under my control.

If you have the second server connected by a WAN, then you are looking at the most common problem being the WAN failure. Once the two sites are isolated, what happens then?
Are you running a DAG behind the CAS array?

The way I have the smaller sites setup, where I am not using a separate load balancer is a short TTL on the DNS. In the event of having to switch to the other site, then I make the change in DNS. That ensures that nothing is changed because the WAN has dropped.
I work on the basis that if I have lost the other site for some reason bigger than a WAN drop, then I am going to have bigger problems than email to worry about, and if I am simply rebooting the server, I don't want all of the clients switching to a server in another site and flooding the WAN link.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

D

DG1212

Yes, I have a DAG setup between the two sites. Would I need to change the DNS record as well as RpcClientAccessServer switch to point to the CAS in Site2?

S

Sembee [MVP]

That depends on what scenario you are planning for.

If the CAS server is still up and the mailbox server is what has failed, then nothing would have to be changed, because the clients are still pointing to the same CAS server - remember that it is CAS that handled the connection to the mailbox server.

However if you are planning for the CAS server to fail, then you would almost certainly have to change both the RPC Client Access array value on the database to the CAS array value in the second site (as the CAS array host is AD site specific) and the DNS to point to the other server. That should mean that Outlook will connect to the second site and have its server value corrected to the second CAS array. I don't think that changing the DNS is enough - but I haven't tested that for a while and it isn't in my notes from when I did.

Manual intervention, but under your control.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Outlook clients did not reconnect to Exchange when one CAS server in CAS array became unresponsive Exchange Server Administration 1
A Exchange 2010 CAS Failover from Internet Facing site to Non-Internet Facing Site - Certificate Issue Exchange Server Administration 3
C Watson Error on CAS Exchange Server Administration 1
S Exchange 2010 CAS/HT/Mailbox moved - best practice/steps for decommissioning 2007 Exchange Server Administration 3
S Load balance Autodiscover with multiple CAS servers. Exchange Server Administration 2
S Load balance Autodiscover with multiple CAS servers. Exchange Server Administration 3
M Fundamental CAS question for Exchange 2010 and 2007 Co-existence... Exchange Server Administration 7
M Exchange ActiveSync HTTP 500 Exchange CAS/HUB 2007 and Exchange 2003 BE & MBX CCR 2007 Using Outlook 1
B CAS Array and NLB Exchange Server Administration 3
S Exchange CAS server OAB directory not showing web.config file Exchange Server Administration 3
T RBAC Error on UM/CAS Servers Exchange Server Administration 2
R FQDN of Exchange CAS servers not in SSL cert Exchange Server Administration 2
D CAS Autodiscover using -rpcclientaccessserver Exchange Server Administration 5
D CAS Array Question Exchange Server Administration 11
C CAS Connections overview Exchange Server Administration 9
T CAS Array/RPCClientAccessServer and Outlook profile experiences Exchange Server Administration 8
A Why not using DAG virtual IP/fqdn for CAS array in two nodes setup? Exchange Server Administration 2
S CAS install failed - "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: key" Exchange Server Administration 7
R seperate read layout to design in outlook 2016..Help!! Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Outlook Contacts - Design This Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S How can I Customize Message Header in both Reading Pane and Open Message Design? Using Outlook 1
R How to design custom template under message/mail form ! Using Outlook 0
O Outlook Holiday Request Form Design Using Outlook 0
J Form design - how do I insert an automatic date/time field? Using Outlook 2
E Exchange 2010 - after sending a draft it is still available in the Dumpster - is this behaviour by design? Exchange Server Administration 4
Z Design sizing? Exchange Server Administration 3
S DAG Deployment Design with site resiliance Exchange Server Administration 2
J 2007 Form Design loads 2003 Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
D Form Design Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Beginners Design Question Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S design buttons in email body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Outlook Form Design Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
D.Moore SendAndReceive question Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Transport Rule to detect Keyword question.. Exchange Server Administration 2
N Question Using Outlook 8
D Shared Mailbox question Exchange Server Administration 1
CWM030 Another Quarantine question Exchange Server Administration 0
E Outlook 2010 Can somebody tell me , the question associated with OST format Using Outlook 1
CWM030 A quick question for Diane about Exchange Exchange Server Administration 2
CWM030 Email Catagorties question Using Outlook 1
MahdeeyaAbdulla Friend's outlook question Using Outlook 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Question about address book in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 9
M Question about nested distribution lists Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
e_a_g_l_e_p_i A question about installing office 2013 Pro and using my .pst from office 2010 Using Outlook 12
rerun101 Question about message options Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
M Question: Is there a rule that will save email in Windows Explorer Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Question on address book Using Outlook 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i question about saving my .pst so I can import it to my Outlook after I build a new system Using Outlook 10
V Question on pop email Using Outlook 2
D a general question regarding data files Using Outlook 3