Outlook goes offline after changing RPCClientAccessServer parameter on mailbox database

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FDMR

Hi,

I have 2 EX2K10 SP1 servers (EX1 and EX2) with the HUB-CAS-MBX roles. 1 domain, 1 site.
Both servers are in a DAG. 4 mailbox databases have a copy on both servers.
My outlook client is configured for a maibox in mailbox database " MBX1"

I recently created a CAS array with fqdn exchange.domain.com
For now I use DNS round robin as kind of load balancing, I created 2 A-records with low TTL for exchange.domain.com pointing to the IP addresses of both CAS servers.

Then, I changed the RPCClientAccessServerparameter of MBX1 to exchange.domain.com instead of EX1.domain.com

Now, when I restart my outlook 2010 client, when I check the account settings, it is still pointing to EX1. Why is that? I expected autodiscover to change that to exchange.domain.com

To force the change, I hit te repair button in E-mail account settings. I get the message " You must restart Outlook for these changes to take effect" . After restarting outlook I get another message " The Microsoft Exchange administrator has made a change that requires you quit and restart Outlook" . When I hit OK, outlook opens but in offline modus. In the account settings, now it is pointing to the exchange.domain.com.
When I do another restart of outlook, it still stays in offline modus. I have to manually disable this to be connected.

So I have 2 questions:
1. When exactly will outlook clients pick up the change of RPCClientAccessServer in their profile?
2. Why is my outlook client in offline modus when the change is picked up?

I have the same problem with outlook 2007. I reproduced the problem in a lab environment.

Can anyone help me with this please? The issue is preventing me for doing the change on production mailboxdatabases.

K

knightly

I had the same issue. The fix i came by was to install CAS array on dedicated CAS boxes, now i can move them all day long without issue. It seems to be a problem with CAS being on the MB server, but I have no additional details.http://exchangedeepthoughts.blogspot.com

K

kvmb

Thank you for the answer but extra boxes = extra licenses, not an option for me.

Microsoft says you can have a full HA solution with only 2 boxes but apparently you get this kind of issues when you do put all roles on those boxes.

Did find this on http://www.scottfeltmann.com/index.php/2010/06/28/outlook-profile-not-updating-after-creating-cas-array/
" As it turns out there is a Bug in Outlook 2007 (and apparently 2010) where the users profile will not update to the new CAS Array after changing the RPCClientAccessServer property on existing databases. Instead the profile will remain until the profile is updated or the target is taken off line. To resolve the issue you have to update the users Outlook Profile." Nice one.

Does anyone know if there is already a fix for this bug?

A

Allen Song

Hi,

Until now, there is still no update avaiable as I know. If it's updated, I will inform you.

Thanks

Allen

G

Gulab Mallah

For how long it stays in disconnected state?Gulab | Skype: gulab.mallah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Can't send email through connected account (outlook.live.com) - goes to Drafts folder Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
J it goes like outlook has stopped working, a problem caused the program to stop working correctly, wi Using Outlook 2
D Presence information goes away in Outlook 2010 after undocking laptop. Using Outlook 2
A Microsoft Outlook Calendar goes blank and locks up? Using Outlook 2
C Email goes to Bell Mail and not to outlook Using Outlook 16
S Outlook 2010 Composing and email font goes small Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 2003 goes 'Bonk' Using Outlook 4
Z Outlook 2007 stops working and forgets Favorites when Windows 7 goes into sleep mode Using Outlook 1
K Outlook goes out to lunch during send/receive Using Outlook 1
L Determining why Outlook 2010 goes Not Reponding under no resource stress Using Outlook 2
P outlook 2008 search box criteria couldn't be saved Using Outlook 2
pcunite Outlook 2019/O365 Build 13127.20408 errors when using MAPI calls Using Outlook 1
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2010 Outlook in Windows 10 keeps asking for user name and password repeatedly Using Outlook 14
S Outlook mail adressing stops after first match in GAL Using Outlook 0
A Apply Selected Emails to outlook rules and Run Rules Using Outlook 5
T Changing Sent Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 0
J How do I disable advertising in Outlook 2019? Using Outlook 10
S Outlook (2016 32bit; Gmail IMAP) - Save sent message to Outllook Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Unable to Sync Web/Android MS To Do with Windows Outlook Tasks Using Outlook 3
S Macro to move “Re:” & “FWD:” email recieved the shared inbox to a subfolder in outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook Macro to send auto acknowledge mail only to new mails received to a specific shared inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook Macro to move reply mail based on the key word in the subjectline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Outlook Calendar not coming down from cloud Using Outlook 2
Terry Sullivan Sender's Name Doesn't Appear in the From Field on Outlook 365/IMAP Using Outlook 2
GregS Outlook 2016 Can I disable the Outlook Outbox? Using Outlook 2
P Outlook pst file is too huge with POP3. How to save more space? Using Outlook 4
D Outlook Contacts Notes Field Photos to Smartphone Using Outlook 0
Paula S. Outlook 2013 won't recognize new password Using Outlook 4
J Want to learn VBA Macros for Outlook. What book can you recommend? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Backup Email Accounts On OutLook For Mac 2016 (Microsoft 365 subscription version) Using Outlook 0
J Time Zone Issues - Outlook Calendar and Webcal Feed Using Outlook 8
J Are the underlined letters in Outlook Reminders window supposed to work? Using Outlook 0
M Office 2016 Outlook is forgetting passwords Using Outlook 15
G How to add a folder shortcut to outlook quick access toolbar? Using Outlook 6
W Outlook WAS facebook but there is no info for old accounts Using Outlook 0
E Can one still buy Outlook (or Office) 2016? Using Outlook 6
G Add to Outlook Contacts - Point to non-default contacts folder Using Outlook 0
E Outlook view grouping keeps changing Using Outlook 3
Wayne Outlook locks up when opening "Manage Rules & Alerts" Using Outlook 3
G Personal Settings within Outlook Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2013 reminder email by using Outlook vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
H Outlook 2019 Certificate error Using Outlook 2
B Outlook 2013 erratically deleting original file that is attached Using Outlook 0
V Outlook Forms: Formatting a Label with 2 different styles Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Outlook 2016 Outlook randomly unhides from taskbar Using Outlook 12
X Using Outlook 2013 and Outlook 365 Using Outlook 1
V Date and/or time error in Outlook Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Sending email from Office 365 alias in Outlook Using Outlook 3
B Spam folder not showing in Outlook Using Outlook 5