Mailbox Databases and Public Folder Databases

• Thread starter smurfman
  • Start date Views 1,077
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smurfman

I am deploying Exch 2010 in an Exch 2007 forest, and will eventually decommission the 2007 server.

2010 - created a new Mailbox Database - and I figured out where to move it to the location on the server/disk I wanted. However, in 2007 the look was obviously different. So I have a few questions regarding the Databases.

1) 2007 offered a backup copy - continuous replication - confiured on the first storage group - and could be a different path than the mailbox database itself. How do I do the same thing in 2010 where the mailbox database is on one disk and the copy is on another?

2) 2007 had a Second Storage Group for a Public Folders Database - I am not sure I see that in 2010 - do I have to move it?

Thanks

J

A

Andy_ch

1. Exchange 2010 doesn't support local continuous replication. Exchang 2010 have a new concept of Databases. Check this review:

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2010/high-availability-recovery/uncovering-exchange-2010-database-availability-groups-dags-part1.html

2. EX2010 haven't included storage-groups - there gone away :). You can see your Public Folder Databse under " Organization Configuration / Mailbox" . If there was no public folder database exist you can create one.

S

smurfman

1) DAG I see replaces - nice link - thanks for that. I recall the limitation of not being able to put the file on another server - but does DAG now require additional Exchange 2010 licenses to have the database availability group to link to another server?

2) As I am not well versed in this aspect of exchange - RE:#2 the public folder - I think that exch2007 created it by default - but I am not sure that we ever used it in our organization - in 2010 there is no Public Folder Database created - I see that I can create a public database - is there a simple way to just move the existing one? and how cna I tell if it is even being used at all?

Thanks

J

A

Andy_ch

1. yep you've to buy a second exchange license to use DAG.

2. if you want to use public folders in exchange 2010 you must create an new database. the next step ist setup an replication between the two public folders. when all is replicated you can set on your mailbox-databse (2007 and 2010) the public folder that point to the exchange 2010 server.

S

smurfman

Can DAG be used on same server - just a different volume?

I don't understand why MS is messing with people so much - a license for edge a license for each exch role if you want to split them, a license for DAG.

J

S

smurfman

So if I don't want to bankrupt my business buying all these licenses and changing windows enterprise. and if I at least liked the copy of the mailbox database in exchange 2007 - even though it was oon the same hardware - it could be on different disk - what are my options?

Could I have a second copy at all on the same box - just different disk?

Could I have 2 mailbox databases on the same box - is there any advantage to this as well.

Thanks, appreciate your comments.

J

G

Gulab Mallah

The answer is NO for both the questionsGulab | Skype: gulab.mallah

Status
Not open for further replies.