Transition or Migration from SBS2003 to W2K8R2 + Exchange 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WYCA

Hi,

Currently I am running on a SBS2003 setup. The hardware used needs urgently to be upgraded so the new server is there. My idee is to leave the SBS setup and go for a pure W2K8R2 64-bit setup with AD and Exchange 2010 included.

What will be the best way to transfer the 7 mailboxes I have from one system to the other? Because the SBS is the PDC of the AD and SBS does not allow a second AD in the forest I setup a seperate network with a new domain to host the new mailserver.

I was thinking of creating a backup .pst file of each mailbox and try to import that again once the transition to the new domain is a fact but I do not know if this is going to work.

Is there anybody out there who had experience in this same scenario? In 2011 I have to convert one of my customers also from a SBS2003 to a SBS2008 environment. Can I use the same scenario, if given, or do I need another one to complete this?

Thanks for the anwers already.

Greetings from Belgium,

-- Alex Wyckmans IT-Consultant - Managing Director Network & Other Services

J

Jonas Andersson [MCITP]

Hi

Yes, that's possible to export the mail contents

Exmerge them, use Outlook 2007 if you have larger mailboxes than 2GB and don't forget the public folders if there are any critical data in it

The problem that might appear is that when the mail contents is imported into the new mailboxes the end-users tries to reply to a mail and they will receive a bounce

This can be solved by a workaround if it's a big issue

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/arch...-calendar-items-after-pst-mail-migration.aspx

I would suggest you to export and import the maildata, then you will have a nice and clean setup in the end

Jonas Andersson MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 | MCSE/MCSA Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Outlook 2010 Transition Office365 Home Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
I Outlook 2013 Transition to Exchange - weirdnesses Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
T Outlook 2016 cannot connect after transition to Outlook Mail Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
Ascar_CT Outlook.com transition to Exchange Server on the back-end Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
I Event ID 14031 logged after transition to Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 4
H Exchange 2003 to 2010 Transition, Public Folders Exchange Server Administration 2
R cannot uninstall EX2003 after transition to EX2010 Exchange Server Administration 6
B Transition for OA/OWA/AS and DNS Exchange Server Administration 3
S Transition from 2003 to 2010 - phase of coexistence - NDR if send a mail from moved to non moved Exchange Server Administration 8
S Exchange 2003 transition Public Folders Exchange Server Administration 2
T Exchange 2007 to 2010 transition, SSL transfer question/problem. Exchange Server Administration 3
R Transition from Ex2003 to Ex2010 Exchange Server Administration 11
M not able to recieve Internal and external email on a 2010 mailbox... attempting exch 2003 transition Exchange Server Administration 2
M Exchange 2007 to 2010 Transition and ForceUpgrade Objects Exchange Server Administration 8
A Transition from Exchange 2007 TO Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 5
I Exchange 2010 transition questions Exchange Server Administration 9
J Exchange 2003 to 2010 Mail Flow problem during transition Exchange Server Administration 3
S Ex2003 after transition to Ex2010 - Public Folders Exchange Server Administration 4
M Manual remove of Ex2003 after transition to Ex2010 - Help Exchange Server Administration 4
S Mails are not coming to the default PST folder after transition. Exchange Server Administration 2
K Cannot Remove Exchange 2003 Following Exchange 2010 Transition Exchange Server Administration 7
J Transition - E2K3 SBS to E2K10 stand-alone - possible? Exchange Server Administration 3
S Transition from Outlook Express to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
A Outlook work very 'slow' after 2007 to 2010 transition Exchange Server Administration 6
P Transition e2K3 to e2K10 - Port 587 with POP clients Exchange Server Administration 2
T Transition 2003 -> 2010 - Public Folder 2 PF Strores to 4 PF Stores Exchange Server Administration 9
R New mailbox users not showing up in GAL since transition from Exch 2007 to Exch 2010 Exchange Server Administration 25
K Transition path from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 3
Microfiche Migration from Office 2016 H&B to Office 365 Using Outlook 0
B Headache with Hotmail and Outlook since migration Exchange Server Administration 10
Diane Poremsky Data loss may occur during public folder migration New Slipstick.com Articles 0
M The coming Outlook migration Using Outlook 1
M Data File Management confusion after migration Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Outlook.com Migration Status New Slipstick.com Articles 0
A Migration to Exchange, still happening? How will I know when? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
W Outlook.com -> Exchange Migration Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
Diane Poremsky Exchange Server Migration Tools New Slipstick.com Articles 0
C Changing Domain -- Assigned To User field Migration? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
H Exchange 2013 ECP migration connects to crashed server Exchange Server Administration 0
J Migration from BCM 2010 to 2013 is messing up the label fields BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
P correct public folder migration exchange 2003 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
P migration issue from OL2003 to OL2010 with custom contact form Using Outlook 7
S BCM 2007 to 2010 migration failure issue BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
S Public FolderEmail Sort Problems Outlook 2010/Migration from 2003 SBS to 2011S Using Outlook 3
C Outllook Migration - Office 200? - 2010 - Shared Mailbox Export-Bulk 500 users Using Outlook 1
D Biggest migration problem - X500 addresses Exchange Server Administration 1
J Contacts Notes field will not mail merge after migration to Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
B Steps after migration from 2007 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 3
J Legacy SCHEDULE + FREE BUSY system PFs leftover after complete migration Exchange Server Administration 1
J Exchange 2010 migration Certificate Question Exchange Server Administration 4