Two Member DAG - Reboot Witness Server - Effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pjr2010

Hi,

We have a 2 node DAG setup with a CAS Array running on 2 Client Access/Hub Transport servers.

The Witness disk for the the 2 node DAG resides on the primary HTCA server.

My question is, what would happen if I reboot the primary HTCA server when installing updates for example?

Do I get a split brain scenario as both nodes lose site of the witness and they both attempt to become responsible for the mailbox DB in the DAG they are members of?

Thanks

Paul

G

Gulab Mallah

Its not going to make any difference to your DAG.
As FSW will come into picture when theer is failover scenario, as long as DAG is in Active Passive Mode it will remain safe.Gulab | Skype: gulab.mallah

P

pjr2010

Its not going to make any difference to your DAG.
As FSW will come into picture when theer is failover scenario, as long as DAG is in Active Passive Mode it will remain safe. Gulab | Skype: gulab.mallah
So as long as we dont experience an issue with the 2 mailbox servers whilst the witness server is down for maintenance, we will be OK?

Thanks

Paul

S

Sembee [MVP]

The key thing is whether something happens to the rest of the DAG while the reboot is taking place. As long as you don't touch the other two servers, then nothing should happen. The FSW only comes in play when one of the servers goes down. A simple reboot shouldn't be a problem.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

While the cluster itself should remain up, it's important to note that if you reboot the FSW, the Active Manager may attempt to move the quorum owner to the other node. That is normal and expected.

P

pjr2010

While the cluster itself should remain up, it's important to note that if you reboot the FSW, the Active Manager may attempt to move the quorum owner to the other node. That is normal and expected.

I take it you are referring to this - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd776123.aspx

" If the server that owns the cluster quorum resource fails, the PAM role automatically moves to a surviving server that takes ownership of the cluster quorum resource. In addition, if you need to take the server that hosts the cluster quorum resource offline for maintenance or an upgrade, you must first move the PAM to another server in the DAG. The PAM controls all movement of the active designations between a database's copies (only one copy can be active at any specified time, and that copy may be mounted or dismounted). The PAM also performs the functions of the SAM role on the local system (detecting local database and local Information Store failures)."

In my scenario the server that WAS the cluster quorum would be rebooted (the primary HT/CA server), not the server that OWNS the cluster Quorum resource (assuming I'm correct in thinking that this is the mailbox server that currently hosts the live copy of the Mailbox DB in the DAG?)?

If this is the case then as the previous posters have stated - nothing should happen

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Mailbox Stores not mount in Two Member DAG Exchange Server Administration 4
P 2 Member DAG - Members Virtualised running on non Clustered Hosts - supported Configuration? Exchange Server Administration 2
H Shutdown all member in a DAG Exchange Server Administration 2
C Change IP Address from DAG Member Exchange Server Administration 3
S 4 member DAG two AD sites link goes down Exchange Server Administration 3
S 4 member DAG two AD sites Exchange Server Administration 7
M Unable to remove failed DAG member from a two-node DAG group Exchange Server Administration 10
A Is it possible to create a DAG member without (default) database? Exchange Server Administration 4
S how to access the properties of a contact given distlist.member object Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
F Groups--changing status from co-owner to member Using Outlook 1
C Multiple family member contacts Using Outlook 1
B Rule doesn't work as expected when the mail sent by myself to a group which which i am a member Using Outlook 6
J Problem with Group remembering OLD Email Address for a Member Using Outlook 1
I Outlook 2007 Out of office Forward of email sent to a Distribution List member Using Outlook 1
C Reboot a CAS array member causes Outlook 2010 clients to prompt for credentials. Using Outlook 5
A BCM 2007 Shared Database on member Server 2008 in SBS 2008 Domain BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
S DAG question Exchange Server Administration 0
B Two server DAG setup, second server EMC not opening Exchange Server Administration 3
M Exchange 2010 SP1 DAG & CA ARCserve Backup r15 Exchange Server Administration 1
L DAG Requirements Exchange Server Administration 5
G Mount recovery database fails on DAG Exchange Server Administration 3
P DAG CONFIGURED Need to change the data base and log file location .What are the risk .And Steps to p Exchange Server Administration 3
A Exchange DAG Exchange Server Administration 1
V mapiexceptioncallfailed: unable to mount database when activate mailboxdatabase in dag Exchange Server Administration 4
S DAG Content Index failed Exchange Server Administration 2
E Outlook 2007 won't connect to 2nd Mailbox Server in a DAG Exchange Server Administration 2
P Number of database on a server in DAG Exchange 2010 sp1 Exchange Server Administration 3
S DAG with Single Network Card Exchange Server Administration 8
T Exchange 2010 DAG Failover Issue - Database Activation Fails because Content Index Catalog Failed Exchange Server Administration 2
L DAG Question - Help Exchange Server Administration 2
A Access a DAG over a virtual lan ip for backup Exchange Server Administration 1
J Question of Exchange 2010 DAG Exchange Server Administration 3
M Hyper-v vSwitches and DAG Networks Exchange Server Administration 7
A Need Help Urgent !!!- Add Seconde Node To The DAG Exchange Server Administration 12
K Exchange 2010 DAG Exchange Server Administration 2
S DAG replicaiton and server maintenance Exchange Server Administration 6
J When a database move from active host in a DAG, user are prompted for credentials Exchange Server Administration 8
à Loss the file share witness of DAG Exchange Server Administration 4
S DAG RPCclientAccessServer Exchange Server Administration 5
K msexchangerepl utilizing high CPU in a DAG env Exchange Server Administration 10
S Extend Exchange 2010 DAG accross sites Exchange Server Administration 3
M DAG layout and space question Exchange Server Administration 2
S DAG manually dismount database Exchange Server Administration 4
M Exchange 2010 DAG Witness Server Help Exchange Server Administration 2
S DAG Deployment Design with site resiliance Exchange Server Administration 2
J DAG problem - I´m not able to recover database Exchange Server Administration 9
S Active Passive DAG seperate DNS namespace Exchange Server Administration 7
T DAG Exchange Server Administration 3
A The cluster network name is not online Exchange 2010 sp1 DAG Exchange Server Administration 8
D DAG Failover Treshold Exchange Server Administration 5