Not open for further replies.
P

pjr2010

Setup

1 x EXC 2010 Mailbox Server with Active copy of Mailbox Database from DAG

Server 2008 R2

EDB on D:\

Log Files on E:\

Windows Server Backup tools installed (the person who installed them originally also installed the command line tools, but these have been subsequently removed).

Windows Server Backup set to perform full VSS backup of D:\ and E:\

Backup completes with the following error logged in the event log - Event ID 9782

Exchange VSS Writer (instance 6e763d02-8919-46df-afec-673023e1272e:1) has completed the backup of database 'MailboxDatabase01' with errors. The backup did not complete successfully, and no log files were truncated for this database.

I have watched the WSB tool run and checked the WSBExchange service at the time and this was still showing a manual startup and wasnt running?

VSS Admin List Writers and List Providers show the correct ouput

My Questions

Should WSB be able to truncate log files if the EDB and Log files are on different volumes (has anyone done tihs successfully?)

Can I run a backup using the wsbexchange tool from the command line - is there a reference for the syntax of this tool anywhere?

Would the fact that the Windows Server Backup tools were previously installed cause this issue?

Having watched the backup run I also dont recall seeing the status of the backup change to " Running consistency check for application Exchange" either - would this point to a WSBExchange issue - can I re register this with the server?

Any other ideas as to how I can get the log files to truncate as I'm running out of disk space!

Paul

P

pjr2010

I have now run a test backup in a demo environment we have with the only difference being that we have a single server in use (so no DAG) and that WSB was installed without the command line tools.

The logs and DB are on different volumes and when running a backup I on this environment I see the " running consistency check for application Exchange" message and the Microsoft Server Extension for Windows Server Backup service has started.

I can only assume the issue is either DAG related (but I am only backing up active databases so this shouldnt be an issue) or caused by WSBExchange not working correctly becuase the windows server backup tools were previously installed.

Any know how to resolve this issue?

Thanks

Paul

G

Gulab Mallah

What is the error message?
Is it happening with all the Databases?

Create a new Database and try to backup and post the result

Gulab | Skype: gulab.mallah

P

pjr2010

What is the error message?
Is it happening with all the Databases?

Create a new Database and try to backup and post the result
Gulab | Skype: gulab.mallah

Backup completes with the following error logged in the event log - Event ID 9782

Exchange VSS Writer (instance 6e763d02-8919-46df-afec-673023e1272e:1) has completed the backup of database 'MailboxDatabase01' with errors. The backup did not complete successfully, and no log files were truncated for this database.

The same error occurs for all databases.

We are going to fail over to our backup MBX server and try and backup from that as this has never had the command line tools installed. We will also reboot the primary mailbox server and then fail back and see if we can perform backups then, as the server has never been rebooted since the removal of the windows server backup command line tools.

If someone knows anyway to fix the WSBExchange issue without a reboot, I'd love to know?

Paul

P

pjr2010

I failed over the active mailbox DB to a secondary server and tried to backup the active database from there. The backup still didnt recognise Exchange and just backed up the flat files and didnt display the " Running consistency check for application Exchange" message when backing up.

I tried again on the secondary server (still running the active database) and manually started the Microsoft Exchange Server for Windows Backup Extension service before running the backup. The result is the same - Windows server backup doesnt display " Running consistency check for application Exchange" and just backs up flat files.

I am in a position where I need to clear down those log files as we have over 100K of them!

Can someone please offer some further advice or let me know if there's any logging I can increase or anything else I can check?

Thanks

Paul

N

Novak Wu

Hi,

Based on my research, I suggest you perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Add the following registry key on both the nodes

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v14\Replay\Parameters.

Add a new DWORD value named EnableVSSWriter, and set its value to 0.

2. Restart the Microsoft Exchange Replication service.

3. Dismount the database and move all the log files into different folder. Mount the database back and resume the replication.

4. Then, please run backup of the active database again.

If the issue persists, please also refer to the following article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecovery/thread/5bac7d4d-4024-40e7-a0a9-1a1211722476

Thanks.

Novak

Status
Not open for further replies.