Is there a Step-by-Step how-to Disable and Attach a Mailbox to a Different User for Exhange 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr Mister

Hi All,

I'm fairly " green" on Exchange 2010. I've gone through the forums here and seen a few posts related to my question.

What I understand so far is:

" Disable" to detach the mailbox-from User1

Run cmdlet " Clean-MailboxDatabase" " Databasename." There is a nightly Online Maintenance window if you can wait. The disabled mailbox now shows up in the " Disconnected Mailbox" section of EMC.

Connect the mailbox to the User2 and wait for AD Sync to take place or run " repadmin /syncall" on a DC.

Login as User2 to make sure permissions are okay.

I tried the above and noticed that the " legacyExchangeDN" for User2 still listed " User1." Should that be manually changed via ADSIEdit?

Thank you very much for your time,

Mr Mister

M

Mr Mister

Hi AndyD,

The reason behind the desire to connect a disconnected mailbox to another account stems from a user rename on User1. A third party application complicates the rename, so I thought I'd go ahead and create " User2" and attach User1's mailbox to " User2" and disable/delete User1.

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Ok, so by leaving the legacyExchangeDn intact, that will ensure that anyone who has user1 cached in Outlook or any other app that referenced that attribute can continue to corectly deliver mail to User2 ( who now has users1 mailbox). If you mail-enable User1 again, they will get a new legacyexchangedn value.

Otherwise, the legacyexchangedn is just cosmetic and not something the average user cares about.
That being said, I typically would not recommend messing with it.

S

Steve Goodman

Just to add, you can add the old legacyExchangeDn as an X500 address to the new account to mitigate any nickname cache issues, and at the same time avoid messing with the new legacyExchangeDn.

Steve

Steve Goodman
Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Quicken One Step Update Bill Reminders Not Syncing to Outlook Using Outlook 1
J Help Needed With Multi-Step Login Email Address Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
S Have Rule or Quick Step PROMPT for custom FLAG Due/Reminder date Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
L Quick step to fill custom field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Further automate several tasks with rule, VBA or Quick Step Using Outlook 1
S New Quick Step based on Team email QS - automatically update too Using Outlook 1
S Error after enabling 2-step authentication in Outlook.com/Outlook 2013 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
J How to Reply or Forward a message and Archive it in same step? Using Outlook 0
J Re: Please help correct Error on step 4 of converting Windows mail to Office Outlook 2007(already installed). Using Outlook 3
A Where are the Step by Step Microsoft outlook 2010 practice files? Using Outlook 3
R Re: Outlook Quick Step - can't copy message to a public folder Using Outlook 1
E Microsoftelearning Outlook 2007 Course #5437 step-by-step instructions not working for me. Request assistance to follow step-by-step 'demonstrati Using Outlook 2
D Emails sent using quick step bounce back as "undeliverable" because of "invalid recipient" Using Outlook 10
T how to configure exchange 2010 step by step Exchange Server Administration 8
C Outlook record the step I take getting to the user template? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Disable Auto Read Receipts sent after using Advanced Find Using Outlook 4
N How to disable shortcuts for Pilcrow in Outlook (Show or hide paragraph marks) Using Outlook 0
N How to disable shortcuts for Pilcrow in Outlook Using Outlook 0
M Making Subject field writable (disable Read Only) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Disable or hide "reply" and "reply to all" and "forward" in email from access vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Disable Spam Notifications & Sounds Using Outlook 3
O Outlook Web Access - how to disable spam filter Using Outlook 6
Diane Poremsky Disable Protected View for Outlook Attachments New Slipstick.com Articles 0
E Outlook 2010 disable date auto-complete Using Outlook 2
Diane Poremsky Disable Outlook Add-ins (Apps) New Slipstick.com Articles 0
J Using VBA to disable alerts / warnings Using Outlook 2
Diane Poremsky Disable the Unsafe Hyperlink Warning when Opening Attachments New Slipstick.com Articles 0
N How to disable user defined fields in BCM forms Using Outlook 2
Diane Poremsky Disable Live Preview in Outlook and Word New Slipstick.com Articles 0
D Preventing users to disable an Outlook Add-in Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
F Disable "Find related messages" Using Outlook 1
davecazz Anyway to disable the peek rollovers? Using Outlook 1
L Reading Pane - COMPLETELY DISABLE? Using Outlook 10
M trying to disable junk email filter. completely. Using Outlook 4
Z OL2007 - is there a way to disable the "feature" that cripples mails that are in the "junk" folder? Using Outlook 37
B How do I REALLY disable Outlook Junk E-mail sorting in OL2010 and/or 2013? Using Outlook 1
R Outlook Cache Mode Terminalserver disable through Registry Using Outlook 1
S Cannot disable OWA light Exchange Server Administration 5
A How to disable the pop-up “Reponses to this meeting will not be tallied." Using Outlook 0
D Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book is enabled but I want to disable Using Outlook 2
Rupert Dragwater how to disable billingual dictionary in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 9
J How to disable syncing folder views/layouts Using Outlook 5
A Disable hotmail from Outlook email account Using Outlook 1
R Disable request to share a calendar Using Outlook 1
T Disable the To-Do Bar permanently Using Outlook 15
J Outlook's auto time zone update for meeting requestsHow to REMOVE or DISABLE? Using Outlook 1
D Disable Junk Email in the Registry? Using Outlook 8
D Disable Read Receipt Request for specific e-mail address Using Outlook 1
M cannot disable autoconfiguration popup/message in outlook 2007 Using Outlook 2
J Exchange 2010 + Disable ActiveSync/Outlook Anywhere/POP/IMAP/ By Default Exchange Server Administration 5