Outlook Anywhere two AD sites recirection or direct connect

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

skipster

Hello

Exchange 2010 sp1

I have a single DAG that stretches across two AD sites, there are 4 members in the DAG, two in each AD site, and a CASarray in each AD site. I setup and configured each datacenter with its own namespace. Example primaryADsite= mail.mydomain.com. SecondaryADsite= DR.mydomain.com, clientaccessArray's in each AD site are also configured i.e outlook.mydomain.com = primaryADsite and DR.mydomain.com= secondaryADsite. Certs have also been configured with all neccessary names. The primary name on cert = mail.mydomain.com, the subject alternames are dr.mydomain.com and autodiscover.mydomain.com. Both AD sites have internet access, and both sites contain an F5 NLB device.

All external DNS names point to FW in the primary AD site. The FW passes this traffic to the F5 NLB device (using split DNS) the externalurl and internalurl url's for exchange web services in the primary AD site are the same i.e https://mail.mydomain.com, in DNS this name points to the F5 located in the primary AD site. In the secondaryADsite, they are https://dr.mydomain.com and this record points to the F5 located in the secondary AD site.

This is my question: External user running outlook 2010 (outlook anywhere)

If i have to activate a database in the secondary ADsite, and external DNS points mail.mydomain.com to the FW located in the primary ADsite, the FW will pass the traffic to the F5 in the primary AD site, and the F5 will pick one of the CAS servers. At this point does the cas server make a direct connection to the mailbox server in the secondary AD site, or does it send the traffic to the F5 NLB device, in the secondary ADsite?

Bulls on Parade

A

Allen Song

Hi,

For the Outlook 2007, it will still use CAS in primary site make a direct connection to the mailbox server in the secondary site.

For the Outlook 2010, it will connect the CAS in the secondary site, then it send the request to the F5 in primary site, F5 forward it to the RPCClientAccessServer.

For more information, you can refer to the below article:

Designing a site resilient exchange 2010 solution
http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2010/high-availability-recovery/designing-site-resilient-exchange-2010-solution-part2.html

Thanks

Allen

Allen Song

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C outlook 2016 and outlook anywhere Using Outlook 1
B Outlook Anywhere vs Activesync and Enterprise Security Exchange Server Administration 8
R Outlook anywhere Using Outlook 1
M Outlook Anywhere not working for Exchange Server 2007 Using Outlook 7
X Exchange 2007 Outlook Anywhere Clients unable to retrieve GAL Using Outlook 9
J Exchange 2010 + Disable ActiveSync/Outlook Anywhere/POP/IMAP/ By Default Exchange Server Administration 5
S Exchange 2010 outlook 2010 outlook anywhere cached mode Exchange Server Administration 2
M Outlook Anywhere is not showing freebusy informayion and User not able to open shared calender while Using Outlook 1
N Exchange 2007 SP1 + Outlook 2007/2010 - Autodiscover for Outlook Anywhere and Out of Office not working Using Outlook 1
M SRV records to enable auto discover for Outlook Anywhere Using Outlook 8
D outlook 2010 and outlook anywhere Exchange Server Administration 6
T Re: Outlook Anywhere in Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2007 Using Outlook 3
T Outlook Anywhere in Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2007 Using Outlook 1
I Certificate Error - Outlook Anywhere. Exchange Server Administration 3
J Using roaming profile wiht Outlook Anywhere Using Outlook 3
C SBS 2003 Outlook Anywhere Basic Authentication Issue Using Outlook 2
N Outlook Anywhere Not Updating Local Cached Password After Reset - Client Stays Disconnected Using Outlook 2
L 30 days' worth of emails are gone in Outlook Express; cannot be found anywhere. Is there anyway I can retrieve them? Any help would be appreciated. Using Outlook 1
M Autodiscover not configuring Outlook Anywhere Using Outlook 10
C Outlook Anywhere keeps prompting for credentials Using Outlook 4
A Problem Setting up Outlook Anywhere for Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 17
G Win 7 Outlook 2007 unable to use Outlook anywhere Using Outlook 8
A TMG 2010 - Exchange 2010 - Outlook Anywhere - 503 Service Unavailable Exchange Server Administration 2
C Prevent clients outlook anywhere URL from being changed by autodiscover? Using Outlook 4
M Outlook Anywhere - Enable both NTLM and Basic Authentication Exchange Server Administration 8
D Outlook anywhere SSL trust problem Exchange Server Administration 10
D.Moore VB script to Digitaly Sign newly created outlook message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Outlook 2016 Retail C2R keeps logging since update? Using Outlook 0
M outlook 365 trying to finish my sentences Using Outlook 0
D Outlook Address Book Using Outlook 0
B Emails get stuck in Outbox of Gmail IMAP in Outlook for Windows Using Outlook 0
C Not sync folders not found after MS Outlook 365 update Using Outlook 1
V Outlook 2016 Does Outlook-2016 (64 bit) work with iCloud for Windows ? Using Outlook 4
R Microsoft Outlook 2016 - Gmail not sending, asks for password for SMTP, tried different ports Using Outlook 23
V Outlook 2016 Outlook-2016 and iCloud for Windows - Problems Using Outlook 2
O VBA Outlook Message Attachment - Array Index Out of Bounds Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
K Imap PC Outlook + Android phone Using Outlook 1
GregS Outlook 2016 Move Outlook to new computer? Using Outlook 4
I Outlook 2003 shows html code when To: field is empty Using Outlook 7
O The Outlook API wrongfully shows an outlook folder to have zero sub-folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O The Outlook API wrongfully shows an outlook folder to have zero sub-folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C All Gmails don't show in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 3
D Outlook 2007 vs. Outlook 2010 -- ToDo Bar Using Outlook 0
U Outlook 2016 Outlook 2016 sender name Using Outlook 1
T Compuserve, Yahoo, Oath2 and Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 4
E Work uses live accounts for emails for all employees. Can we use the outlook calendar to give the employees an universal work schedule calendar? Using Outlook 1
witzker Macro to move @domain.xx of a Spammail to Blacklist in Outlook 2019 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
D Outlook 2007 on 365 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
S Macro for other actions - Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 23
P outlook 2008 search box criteria couldn't be saved Using Outlook 2