Dynamic DNS update requirement for Exchange 2010 (SP1 RU1) on server 2008 r2

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RakeshMishra

Hi,

Could you please help me understand:

Dynamic DNS requirement for Exchange 2010 (SP1 RU1) on server 2008 r2. What in case if I disable dynamic udates, will I face any issues as far as Exchange 2010 DAG is concerned.

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Are you using Active Directory intgrated DNS or something else?

R

RakeshMishra

Hi Andy,

We are in resource forest model. The account forest is using BIND DNS and Resource forest is using AD integrated DNS. The zone information for the account forest gets replicated over to Resource forest AD DNS, also the primary DNS is the BIND DNS in account forest. Bind team would not like to allow the dynamic DNS and did disable it at some point in time which has caused the below event IDs to be loggeed in Exchange 2010 cluster,

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering
Date: <var><date> <time></var>
Event ID: 1578
Task Category: Network Name Resource
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: <var>< Computer name></var>
Description: Cluster network name resource '%1' failed to register dynamic updates for name '%2' over adapter '%4'. The DNS server may not be configured to accept dynamic updates. The error code was '%3'. Please contact your DNS server administrator to verify that the DNS server is available and configured for dynamic updates.

We want to ensure that this will not effect exchange 2010 servers ( we are going to upgrade them from RTM to SP1 RU1) and DAG resource will keep functioning properly after we do the upgrade.

B

Brian Day MCITP

Keep in mind DAGs use Windows Failover Clustering, which as you saw attempt to regsiter the IP of the cluster name in DNS. If you are not allowing secure dynamic DNS for some reason, then you will have to manually register this record and configure clustering not to require successful DNS registration.

If you have a DAG who's MAPI network spans multiple subnets it gets a little more interesting. If the cluster group were to move to a node in the other subnet, then it won't be able to update DNS to reflect this change, and you would need to manually update DNS again. Not using dynamic DNS is (to me personally) a pain in the neck in the long run. :) With secured registrations only enabled and proper DNS scavenging setup, everything gets much easier.

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server
My posts are provided "AS IS" with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Like Brian sez. It will work, but you just have to do alot of dotting " I" s and " T" s and require you to disable the automatic registration on all the NICs if auto reg is not allowed.

I dont quite get the decision to use integrated AD in one forest and Bind with no automatic DNS reg in another, but Im sure there is a master plan somewhere :) . Seems like a recipe for problems.

R

RakeshMishra

Hi Brian,

You suggested " configure clustering not to require successful DNS registration" . Can you please elaborate how would I configure cluster not to require successful DNS registration

B

Brian Day MCITP

It appears it has been deprecated as of Server 2008; which I was not aware of. That shows you how many customers I work with that don't use dynamic DNS. :)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverClustering/thread/58475193-88c2-459f-9b8d-ac4b6ee2b7d1

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server
My posts are provided "AS IS" with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L dynamic and static dates in Outlook contact "notes" ie. body Using Outlook 2
B Emacs Dynamic Abbrev Expansion, Esc-/ Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Using Categories for Dynamic Distribution Lists New Slipstick.com Articles 0
J Dynamic date range for Outlook Search folders Using Outlook 2
N Creating dynamic forms in outlook?? Using Outlook 2
T Max Recipent or maybe bad dynamic dist list Exchange Server Administration 2
A Dynamic Distribution Groups... Using Department OR Custom attribute... Exchange Server Administration 3
K remove 1 moderator from moderated dynamic DL Exchange Server Administration 2
T Dynamic Distribution Groups Do Not Show UP in GAL Exchange Server Administration 18
J Dynamic fields on forms Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S Dynamic Signatures? ( Hub Transport Rule? ) Exchange Server Administration 16
T Exchange 2003, NDR, DNS problems Exchange Server Administration 3
B Promoting and demoting dns w/ exchange 2007 sp2 environment Exchange Server Administration 1
S Cluster Name failed to update the DNS record Exchange Server Administration 2
J Missing HUB DNS record results in mail piling in queue, no failover? Exchange Server Administration 2
F OWA internal and external address is trying to resolve on an external DNS server on the internet Using Outlook 2
S Exchange 2003 coexistence with Exchange 2010 (Edge, OWA, Certificate, DNS considerations) Exchange Server Administration 3
B Transition for OA/OWA/AS and DNS Exchange Server Administration 3
S Active Passive DAG seperate DNS namespace Exchange Server Administration 7
S DNS query failed error in exchnage 2010 only while sending email to hotmail.com Exchange Server Administration 7
D 451 4.4.0 DNS Query Failed. Exchange Server Administration 3
B Outlook 2016 Retail C2R keeps logging since update? Using Outlook 0
C Not sync folders not found after MS Outlook 365 update Using Outlook 1
W September 2020 - No Default Email Client message after Office Update Using Outlook 1
D.Moore VBA script fail after Office 365 update Using Outlook 8
W April 2020 Office 365 Update - Add-Ons fail after Office 365 Update Using Outlook 6
M Outlook 2010 Problem with OutLook 2010 32 bit, after Windows Auto Update Using Outlook 3
Jennifer Murphy Grant R/W (update) access to a friend Using Outlook 3
L Favorites don't update Using Outlook 1
F Copy and replace not update contact in another pst Using Outlook 0
M Message list font changed after update Using Outlook 2
M Quicken One Step Update Bill Reminders Not Syncing to Outlook Using Outlook 1
O Windows 1803 update : QAT and toolbar changed, language pack gone... Using Outlook 5
J Updating existing entry on shared calendar wants to send update from delegate Using Outlook 0
N Using email notification to update calendar events? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
K Update Appointment category when changed in Excel Using Outlook 3
V Outlook 2003 problem with Windows 10 Creators Update 1709 Using Outlook 0
G Windows Update Causes BCM Database Access Problem? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
K Update subject based on text in body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A Creating Progress Bar or Status Bar Update Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Recent Update Did not Fix Search Problems Using Outlook 7
R Custom Contact Form how to update when loaded. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
C Update Notes for Meeting Attendees Using Outlook 8
A Attendee Update Outlook Meeting Invite Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Outlook Email Security Update New Slipstick.com Articles 0
S Task Update coming as email and not updating task Using Outlook 3
Diane Poremsky Remove Office 2013 Update Banner New Slipstick.com Articles 0
B IMAP folders don't update when Outlook 365 opens Using Outlook 0
J Outlook Macro to Update Sharepoint Excel File Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Task Request Status Update Address Missing New Slipstick.com Articles 0