The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

route6668

Outlook 2007, Exchange 2007, cached mode, user tries to save a message with a pdf attached and receives the message below - I have recreated the outlook profile twice and its not a pst file.

" The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook. "

any idea's? thanks.

E

Evan Liu

Hi,

I want to clarify the following information before we go further:

1. Does this issue only occurs to one user or all the users who connect the Exchange Server?

2. How about the other versions of Outlook, does this issue also occur on them?

3. Do you installed all the latest updates for your Outlook? If not, please install the latest updates and have a try.

4. Does the issue only occur when you try to save a message with a pdf attachment or whenever you use Outlook?

5. Is there any error in your event log, if there is any error in your event log, please paste here in your next post.

6. What is software you used to save a message with a pdf attached?

If you use Adobe Acrobat, this issue may occur because the version of Adobe Acrobat that you have installed is incompatible with Outlook 2007. Here is a related article for you:

Acrobat PDF functionality is missing, or Outlook closes unexpectedly after you upgrade to Outlook 2007

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925761

If not, please help me to collect the information at your convenience, with the information, we can help you more efficiently.

Thanks,

Evan

R

route6668

1) one user

2) we only use 2007

3)sp2 is installed

4) issue also happen without an attachment but with error -

“Operation failed” when I tried to save an email with no attachments as a .rtf

5) get back to you on that

6) Outlook 2007

I'll check the article

G

Gorgis

Hi route666, here are some tips. (It sounds like the problem is not related to any specific attachment)
Check mailbox size of the user and compare it with any limit restrictions you may have set on the Exchange Storage group container where the users mailbox resides in.

If the mailbox is full you can get all sorts of weird messages..

Check the size of the mailbox and then compare it with any applied limits.

you can check the limits on two places the default global policy on the exchange server

in the " Exchange System Manager" console right click the storage group that she belongs to and check the page " limits"

also check the account in the AD the " Exchange general" page and then the button " Storage limit" .

If it is short on space increase limit and tell user to clear out som big sized e-mails.

AD account settings overrides global settings.
You can also try this but the user will loose Outlook specific settings configured by the user.

Try some outlook switches..

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/o...icrosoft-office-outlook-2007-HP001218589.aspx

try for example run:

Outlook.exe /cleanprofile

/cleanprofile
Removes invalid profile keys and re-creates default registry keys where applicable.

With best regards Gorgis

R

route6668

thanks for the info. one question, how does the /cleanprofile differ from creating a new profile?

G

Gorgis

Sorry I can´t say as I dont know the details about the diffrens, but if you didn´t try it yet it is worth a shot as its simple to try.

http://www.petri.co.il/outlook_2003_command_line_switches.htm

has more about Outlook switches.

- My first tip about storage limit gave no results?

- Did you also try to delete the users *.OST file completely so that i will be recreated? (if file is corrupt, Outlook must be closed when deleting as Outlook looks the file when started.)

- How does the attachments and e-mail behave when using the webinterface/OWA?

(%Name of the outlook profile%.ost)

will be located under the user windows profile..

/Gorgis
With best regards Gorgis

R

route6668

the mb is 25 meg below the limit.

I have recreated the profile so that recreates the OST.

I asked the user to try OWA when the issue pops up again (and to call me).

after, the OWA test, I will do a /cleanprofile.

thanks for your help.

G

Gorgis

25 mb is not so much, maybe the user just recently did a clean?

Check with the user if he has deleted any large e-mails/attachments recently..

I strongly suggest incresing the users margins to at least 100 mb more at minimum and tell the user to clear deleted items if it is not done allready.

Then to sort/filter on size on all of the inbox inorder to recognize the largest e-mails and to save them to disk/network storage and then have them removed from the inbox. (Dont forget to purge the deleted items after this action)

/Gorgis

With best regards Gorgis

E

Evan Liu

Hi,

Any updates? If this problem persists, please share us the result after you try. With the result, we can help you more efficiently.

Thanks,

Evan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The messaging interface has returned an unknown error Using Outlook 0
J The messaging interface has returned an unknown error while displaying Tasks on To-Do Bar Using Outlook 2
N the messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart outlook. un Using Outlook 4
O OL 2007 Is Not Saving Changes to Security Settings - 'The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. . . . ' Using Outlook 2
K When saving email messages to a network drive.__getting error “The messaging interface has returne Using Outlook 26
M Outllook 2000 - 2 Errors - The Information Service / The Messaging Interface Using Outlook 7
N Outlook problem: Messaging interface returned unknown error - Unknown error 0x8004060C - Outlook com Using Outlook 1
S The deleted items folder is unavailable. The operation failed . The messaging interface have returne Using Outlook 2
O Messaging Interface unknown error when trying to export pst files Using Outlook 4
I When I open Outlook I receive the message: 'The operation failed. The messaging interface have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists Using Outlook 2
R "The Operation Failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error Exchange Server Administration 3
J Messaging Records Management Question Exchange Server Administration 3
T Voicemails from Unified Messaging are showing the extension of the IP Gateway when a call is placed from an external number Exchange Server Administration 1
F Unified Messaging voicemail with Asterisk 3CX IP PBX server Exchange Server Administration 1
M Exchange 2010 Unified Messaging - What is the Shortcut Command to bypass a greeting to leave a voice Exchange Server Administration 2
J Exchange Unified Messaging Migration to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
R Problem installing Unified Messaging on Exchange 2010 SP1 Exchange Server Administration 3
S Exchange Unified Messaging - voicemails not being delivered to mailbox Exchange Server Administration 4
S Office 2010 "The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the p Using Outlook 17
J Installed 2010 SP1 - Unified Messaging service failing to start correctly now Exchange Server Administration 10
N MWI Troubleshooting in Exchange 2010 Unified Messaging Exchange Server Administration 3
R "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging requ Using Outlook 17
B Jetstess failes with "Error: Faulty performance counter paths: \Network Interface()\. " on Windows Exchange Server Administration 2
C Message Interface Error When Importing Pst Contacts Using Outlook 13
C Exchange 2010 SP1 "RPC can't be started because of the EMSMDB interface is already registered by Exchange Server Administration 4
P my inbox messages, disappers when junk folder is selected @msn the web interface... Using Outlook 4
B Forefront Protection - User manageable antispam interface? Exchange Server Administration 1
A Multiple recipients causes interface error and unable to resolve address Outlook 2010 W7 Using Outlook 2
L The message interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists restart outlook. Using Outlook 1
G Re: Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2003 interface problems Exchange Server Administration 4
S Unable to register the MSExchangeAB RPC interface Exchange Server Administration 6
J Could not retrieve IMessage: Interface not supported Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
N Outlook Has Become Sluggish Using Outlook 13
C Your mailbox has been temporarily moved ... Using Outlook 2
W Receiving mail for account that has been deleted Using Outlook 2
H Outlook 2003 find by "has attachment" Using Outlook 1
W Looks like the folder below has been deleted: "iCloud\Calendar" Using Outlook 1
oliv- determine to which address an email has been sent Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A Using or not using apostrophes in search terms has this changed? Using Outlook 0
O Outlook 2016 has "Outlook 2015" files Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2016 bottom reading pane has disappeared Using Outlook 2
G Download pdf attachments only if email subject has one of words Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
B Looking to filter (or just find/search) for only messages that the sender has sent more than 1 messa Using Outlook 2
M AVG has banjaxed Outlook. Using Outlook 1
B Wanting to run a script that will filter any body that has a russian link in it. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
A Outlook incompleted tasks has strike through Using Outlook 3
B Search function in Office 365 has stopped working Using Outlook 3
I Check if sent email has been replied Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Outlook.com Sync working, Sync to Android has issues Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
witzker Has Outlook 2010 to be opened for Indexing Win7 Using Outlook 1