OWA 2007 disable autocomplete

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Laura1873

My company considers the autocomplete feature in OWA to be a security flaw. Management's concern is that an employee could inadvertantly send an email about one customer to another customer. I have disabled autocomplete in GPO and that takes care of Exchange/Outlook. However, I must figure out a way to disable autocomplete in OWA 2007. Is there any way to completely disable autocomplete in Exchange/OWA? The company would even be willing to upgrade to Exchange 2010 if it allowed me to disable autocomplete in OWA.

R

Ripu Daman

Hi,

Issue description: How to disable “Auto Complete” feature via OWA?
I assume that your exchange version is 2007, since exchange 2003 doesn"t have “Auto Complete” function on OWA

Explanation: The e-mail list is saved in users" mailboxes, it is loaded when user click the “New” to compose messages. The function is by design, it can't be disabled per my knowledge

The only available option is to delete e-mail entries:

1. Delete an entry from the list using OWA

a. Login to mailbox via OWA

b. Create a new meeting request

c. Begin typing the entry you want to delete until you see it in the Auto Complete list

d. To remove one entry from the list, highlight the name in the Auto Complete list, arrow up and arrow down allow you to highlight the name you want to remove

e. When the entry is highlighted, press the Delete button on your keyboard

2. Delete the entire list using OWA Light

a. Log in to mailbox using Outlook Web Access Light

b. Go to Options -> Messaging

c. Under Email Name Resolution, click " Clear Most Recent Recipients List"

3. Delete the cache entries from the mailbox with MFCMAPI

a. Launch MFCMAPI on a PC where it has user"s mail profile that is not configured for Exchange Cached Mode from Outlook.

b. “Session” menu->choose “Logon and Display Store Table”->choose mail profile in jumped window

c. On the top-pane, double-click user"s mailbox and go to next window

d. In the next window->right-click “Root Container”-> select “Open Associated Content Table”

e. Scroll until you see the “Message Class” column. Right-click on the IPM.Configuration.Owa.AutocompleteCache entry and select “Delete Message”.

f. In the “Delete Item” window select " Permanent delete passing DELETE_HARD_DELETE (unrecoverable)" from the deletion style drop down box, and click OK. This will permanently delete this message.

Notes: It won"t prevent e-mail addresses from caching again in the future
Ripu Daman Mina | MCSE 2003 & MCSA Messaging

L

Laura1873

Thanks for your help! We have employees around the globe. I need a solution that is server side.

N

Novak Wu

Based on my research, Ripu"s suggestion is the only way to disable Auto Complete feature for the mailbox in OWA. Both Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010 server side do not have the option to disable Auto Complete feature in OWA. The Auto Complete feature is related to the parameter IPM.Configuration.Owa.AutocompleteCache. I suspect the feature can be disabled automatically in OWA if we can create a script to change the parameter IPM.Configuration.Owa.AutocompleteCache on the attributes from the mailbox user.

Since we only discuss the Exchange issue on the pure Exchange product environment in this forum and we do not have enough Knowledge about Script, I suggest you create a new thread in the Script forum for further assistance. However, if the feature still cannot be archived by Script, I"m afraid that Ripu"s suggestion is the only way to get the feature disabled. Thank you for your understanding.

For your reference, I have enclosed the Script forum below:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/ITCG/threads

Thanks.
Novak Wu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J IPAD Outlook OWA App - Help using Exchange 2007 Using Outlook 4
R Lost Outlook 2007 message found in OWA Using Outlook 4
T Syncing OWA 2010 to Outlook 2007 Exchange Server Administration 15
J Missing options in OWA Premium 2007 for some users Using Outlook 0
A Exchange 2007 <-> 2010 OWA not working together redirecting problem Exchange Server Administration 1
Z Exchange 2007 Transitioning to Exchange 2010 SP 1, and OWA User Redirect or Proxying Exchange Server Administration 1
J BAD REQUEST - when trying to use the OWA Calender web part in MOSS 2007 Exchange Server Administration 1
S Web links do not work with OWA 2007 Using Outlook 4
P Blank page opening document through Direct Access in OWA from Exchange 2007 SP3 Using Outlook 3
R How can I get my Outlook 2007 Calendar to synch with OWA Calendar? Using Outlook 1
A cannot access OWA or connect to exchange 2007 via outook. Using Outlook 5
H Exchange 2007 - After Installing Forefront on My Exchange , OWA encountered an error Using Outlook 2
H Outlook 2007 periodically disconnects from Exchange 2010 CAS - OWA works Using Outlook 4
M Remove download or save target as option with attachments in OWA 2007 Using Outlook 3
P OWA Light 2007 Folder Management does not show all folders Using Outlook 3
A Outlook 2007 unable to view new/unread emails in Inbox, but OWA 2007 have not issue displaying/listi Using Outlook 6
C System.Web.HttpRequestValidationException in OWA 2007 Using Outlook 1
J "Clip" icon appear in Microsoft Outlook 2010 / Exchange 2007 OWA Message, but no attachment inside Using Outlook 4
T OWA 2007 recent recipients and OWA 2010 nicknames Exchange Server Administration 5
A Public folder accessable from Outlook 2007, 2010, but not through OWA Exchange Server Administration 6
M OWA redirection issue with Exchange 2007-2010 coexistence Exchange Server Administration 9
J Unable to access public folders in Outlook 2007 on Exchange 2010. OWA PF works fine Using Outlook 7
J Missing week one in OWA 2007. Using Outlook 4
O OWA 2007 - First week of the year setting is missing? Using Outlook 12
E Outlook 2007 (OWA) Keeps asking for Password!!! Using Outlook 6
C OWA 2007 not displaying (blank page) Using Outlook 27
P OWA Settings->Calendar->Events from Email; Setting changes do not hold Using Outlook 1
G How to have domain client use owa server instead of exchange server while connect to network Using Outlook 1
J OWA vs. Outlook 2016 Bandwidth Exchange Server Administration 1
O Synchronize safe persons Outlook 2016 -> Outlook Web Access (OWA) Using Outlook 30
C OWA External Access - No URL / URL Invalid Exchange Server Administration 2
Diane Poremsky New Office365 Feature: URL Preview in OWA New Slipstick.com Articles 0
S Cannot disable OWA light Exchange Server Administration 5
J Stuck using OWA Exchange Server Administration 0
T Outlook Calendar Sync MY GOAL: see work calendar on home desktop w/o OWA Using Outlook 2
T Sync OWA? Exchange Server Administration 0
O Multiple simulteniously opened OWA 2010 accounts in one browser work fine ! Using Outlook 3
S Newly added user doesn't show up in GAL but available in OWA, Using Outlook 0
B Customize OWA page to open in a new window when logging in Exchange Server Administration 1
B OWA Calendar Views not available Exchange Server Administration 2
O outlook 2010, owa, exchange Exchange Server Administration 2
B Searching OWA Additional Mailbox - in which Secondary folder is the email? Using Outlook 1
D OWA and Windows 8 Exchange Server Administration 1
Z OWA Mailbox unavailable Exchange Server Administration 2
G Outlook 2013: Getting meeting invites in OWA format Using Outlook 9
D OWA Send invitation AS (not from) Exchange Server Administration 1
E OWA phones home too much? Exchange Server Administration 1
S Cannot open any attachment from OWA Exchange Server Administration 2
R OWA can't delete mail Exchange Server Administration 8
J Outlook and owa access Using Outlook 1