Outlook 2010 - Public Folders difficult to access after adding multiple additional mailboxes into th

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim_1235

SBS 2008 / Exchange 2007

On a machine which has Office 2010 installed we are finding that after adding multiple additional mailboxes into the Outlook 2010 folder list accessing Public Folders gets slower and slower the more mailboxes you add in, to a point when you can no longer access any Public folders any more.

The mailboxes are added as a supervisor is required to have monitoring acess of all user mailboxes.

We are talking of adding around thirty additional mailboxes.

Subsequently following the removal of these additional mailboxes this allows access to Public Folders once more getting faster and faster each time a mailbox is removed from the Outlook 2010 folder list.

This only seems to be an issue in Outlook 2010, Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2003 do not seem to be similarly affected.

Does anyone know why this is happening ?

The Public Folders is seemingly placed in alphabetical oder in amongst all the other mailboxes in the folder list in Outlook 2010, whereas it appears as a seperate entity at the bottom of the folder list in Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2003.

Could this be something to do with it ?

S

Sembee [MVP]

How are you adding these additional mailboxes?

Outlook 2010 added a new way, using the new account method, which means you can connect to two different forests. That means the public folders. As users can have their own read/unread status, this means you will get the additional public folder trees.
Furthermore, each account has its own OST file, and if public folders are added to favourites and the client is configured to make public folders offline, then the hard disk is going to be thrashed as each account is going to be downloading its own copy of the public folder data.

Opening that number of mailboxes is not really something that Outlook is designed to do, and I wouldn't be surprised that performance is hit. A better method would be to use OWA or an archiving product through journaling.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

J

Jim_1235

Hi Simon,

I appreciate your comments and will check this out.. I've added the extra mailboxes the same way at we do with Outlook 2007 and 2003 under the Advanced > Open these additonal mailboxes tab.. they don't want to send anything from these mailboxes, just look at what is in them.

I've had a go with adding extra functional mailboxes and this is very cool and about time.

But it still remains that they'll want to do what they are doing the same way that they have always done...and it always worked perfectly well in Outlook 2007 and 2003..and still does..

We have the caching turned off..perhaps we actually need to trun it on and wait for it to complete ?

There isn't much stuff in the public folders, just a couple of calendars and a contacts folder that's all.

I've told them that this might be an issue with Outlook 2010 and that it may not have been designed to work like this.

All I get in response is " So they've made it worse then..like everything else of late"

Ho hum..

What I'm looking for really is for somone who knows that this is expected or known behaviour if you try to do this in Outlook 2010 because they have changed the way the folders are added viewed and cached.

If this is the case then they'll most likely want to revert back to Office 2007, they have a volume licence which permits them to do this..

I'll do some more investigation and see if this is OS related at all or has a bearing on it.

Be interested to hear from anyone else experiencing a similar thing.

Thanks

S

Sembee [MVP]

You are pushing the extremes of Outlook. I don't think I have ever seen that many mailboxes opened in Outlook before. I don't even know if it is a scenario that Microsoft test.

Therefore it may well be that you have to downgrade because of the changes - simply because you are using Outlook in a way that is not usual.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Public FolderEmail Sort Problems Outlook 2010/Migration from 2003 SBS to 2011S Using Outlook 3
B set deafult view in public folder for all users from outlook 2010 64bit Using Outlook 0
B Linking from Excel to public outlook 2010 calendar. Using Outlook 0
T Public folders in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
N Shared Calendar in Public folder hangs when accessing from Outlook 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
S public folder option in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
H Searching Public foldersin Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
R how to configure outlook 2007 clients to publish free busy info to public folder in exchange 2010 (s Exchange Server Administration 3
T Exchange 2010 public folders cannot be opened from Outlook, but can from OWA Exchange Server Administration 2
A Public folder accessable from Outlook 2007, 2010, but not through OWA Exchange Server Administration 6
B Outlook 2010 - unable to add a Public Contacts folder as an email address book - 'Outlook Address Bo Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2007 Public Folders Using Outlook 6
J Outlook 2010 Public Folder creates many conflicts Using Outlook 1
C cannot subsribe the public folder in Outlook 2003 when backend system is exchage 2010 Exchange Server Administration 4
J Exchange 2010 OWA Public Folders with Outlook 2011 Exchange Server Administration 5
R Outlook 2010 won't search public folders Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2010 not searching public folders Using Outlook 1
G Outlook 2010 not populating public calendar Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 2010 - Calendar in public folder issue Using Outlook 7
J Unable to access public folders in Outlook 2007 on Exchange 2010. OWA PF works fine Using Outlook 7
R Outlook 2010 Public Folder Home Page view Using Outlook 9
N Filtered Synchronization of public folder favourites, Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
A Outlook 2010 public folder conflicts Using Outlook 7
L Outlook 2010: deleting a public calendar occurrence deletes the series. Using Outlook 4
e_a_g_l_e_p_i I think it may be time to upgrade from Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
T Why does outlook 2010 convert only some forum notifications to plain text? Using Outlook 2
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Outlook 2010 Problem with OutLook 2010 32 bit, after Windows Auto Update Using Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2010 account setup fails in particular domain Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2010 is Auto Purging when not configured for that Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 2010 Reading Pane Slows Startup Using Outlook 3
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
B Outlook 2010 Can not find a certain file in M/S Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 1
Mark Foley Cannot enable add-in in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
W Outlook 2010 some sent items marked unread now (was Ok before) Using Outlook 0
RBLampert Updating from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 365 Using Outlook 0
L What are the risks of opening an Outlook 2016 .pst file in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 4
S Unable to remove rule outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
N Outlook 2010 Flag blocked for Safe Senders List???? Using Outlook 7
dweller Outlook 2010 Rule Ignores VBA Script Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Mark Foley Unable to subscribe to published calendar in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
K Maximum Categorize Shortcuts In Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 1
E Unable to open Outlook 2010 after adding new email account Using Outlook 4
RBLampert Outlook 2010 no longer (?) shrinks large images Using Outlook 4
N Outlook 2010 will not send nor receive Using Outlook 4
U Outlook 2010 'freezes' before moving emails Using Outlook 2
P Outlook 2010 trusted emails going to spam folder Using Outlook 18
E Outlook 2010 Subject sort uses Thread-Topic for grouping Using Outlook 2
King Mustard Maximum Categorize shortcuts in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 1