Upgraded version of Outlook cannot open previously viewable encrypted messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

computerkungfu

Hi team, this is my first post and I have to admit to being a little desperate after trying dozens of so-called 'fixes' found in different corners of the web. My issue seems to be common enough, though the resolve isn't. I am a reasonable tech but not up with Exchange and related systems. I look after the IT of a company who are running older OSs and clients but are being forced to upgrade due to a number of reasons. They use a booking system where email messages are sent to them in what I am assuming is encrypted form - the icon on the message is a small blue padlock. They currently use Outlook 2000 and the messages open fine on those machines still running that version. However, simply upgrading to Outlook 2003 (I know, but this is the version they want to use) breaks things and the error when trying to view these messages now is the dreaded "Cannot open this message. Your Digital ID Name Cannot Be Found by the Underlying Security System". The thing is, on one of their machines, the upgrade went OK and the messages open fine. Their Exchange server host sent them a certificate/key file, which I can import OK, but I'm not convinced this key has anything to do with anything because Outlook still doesn't work and when I go into the Trust centre in the options dialogue there are no keys available for this function. The certificate/key shows up in the Internet Options dialogue under certificates but as I said, I'm not sure it is the right thing I need.
As you can tell, it is the blind leading the blind. I am out of my depth and aren't even sure of the correct language to use to convey the problem. I cannot fathom why one machine upgraded to Outlook 2003 and everything works while now 3 other machines have been upgraded using the same disk and procedure but they cannot open these messages. I even took the pst file to other machines and tried three different versions of Outlook - none would open the messages, with the error given above. I have read and tried several of the suggestions given in other posts but nothing has worked and I suspect this is because I am way off track rather than the fixes not being correct. Any further guidance or help would be greatly appreciated and I thank you for your time and expertise. Dave Thompson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Upgraded version of Outlook cannot open previously viewable encrypted messages. Using Outlook 3
V Upgraded Outlook Using Outlook 0
G Upgraded from 2003 to 2010...I am missing Exmerge. HELP!!! Exchange Server Administration 3
W Upgraded to Outlook 2010, now contacts have problems displaying and other issues. Using Outlook 3
S Re: Outlook 2010 crashes when upgraded from Office 2007 Using Outlook 1
D Upgraded from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007 lost my secondary contacts list Using Outlook 1
T Outlook 2010 crashes when upgraded from Office 2007 Using Outlook 1
D Upgraded to Exchange 2010 SP1 and now random Outlook clients are requesting authentication Exchange Server Administration 1
J Upgraded to Office 2010 Pro on XP Pro. Using Outlook 5
A No longer have Business Contact Manager after upgraded from 2003 Pro to 2007 Pro Plus Using Outlook 1
A No longer have Business Contact Manager after upgraded from 2003 Pro to 2007 Pro Plus Using Outlook 1
B Upgraded to Outlook 2007, my custom stationary no longer works Using Outlook 1
C Windows XP Upgraded Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2010 email problems Using Outlook 1
W We upgraded from office 2003 to 2007. Using Outlook 1
S Upgraded from Office 2007 to Office 2010 and my Outlook rules have all disappeared Using Outlook 2
W I just upgraded from Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimatee and installed Windows Live. How Using Outlook 1
B Public folder name is not valid in Exchange 2010 after upgraded from Exchange 2003 Exchange Server Administration 5
M RECENTLY UPGRADED FROM HOME & BUSINESS to OFFICE PRO - CANNOT OPEN ATTACHMENTS DIRECTLY FROM EMAIL Using Outlook 1
L Oulook 2003 Form upgraded to 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A Backup Email Accounts On OutLook For Mac 2016 (Microsoft 365 subscription version) Using Outlook 0
M Convert Subject Line to Internet Header version of Subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
A Sending contact vcards sends older version instead of updated version Using Outlook 4
M Desktop Version Of Outlook Generating Error Using Outlook 4
Dr. Demento Outlook version of Excel command? Using Outlook 5
Diane Poremsky Outlook for Mac Version Numbers New Slipstick.com Articles 0
E Want to Import Outlook 2003 pst files to later version Using Outlook 6
M file attachments is not shown in outlook version Using Outlook 2
G Address names auto complete not working - Outlook 2007 version Using Outlook 1
C New version of MFCMAPI program Using Outlook 0
J Going from newer to older version Using Outlook 3
P Could the powershell Version be wrong? Exchange Server Administration 1
R Exchange System Manager version Popup Exchange Server Administration 5
A Office Version: Office 2010 Windows 7 Antivirus: Unknown Using Outlook 4
M pack francais sur version Office 2010 64bits Using Outlook 1
R is import and export engine available in outlook 2010 trial version? Using Outlook 2
R Continually Displays Msg: "Could not obtain Microsoft Outlook Version" Using Outlook 2
T Outlook version 12.0.6529.5000 freezes up while attempting to send/receive Using Outlook 1
G Import old pst file from Outlook 2007 into new version of Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 2
J Is it possible to convert a shared calender in Outlook to a ical version that can be subscribed to by confluence. Using Outlook 1
M What to do after removing trial version of office 2007. Still will not take code Using Outlook 4
J Error message "The Expected Version of the product was not found on the system". Using Outlook 2
B Switching Access from version 2010 to 2007 or 2003 causes Outlook to no longer be able to send or receive email. Using Outlook 2
B Business Contact Manager 2010 upgrade from Beta - new version does not recognize old version's database Using Outlook 1
S Since outlook connector update unable to send mail Version 14.0.5117.5000 Errors: 4102& parsing MTOM Using Outlook 2
E After 2010 Office Beta expired, my 2007 Outlook version stopped working properly. Can not access correct profile and synchronization with Blackberry p Using Outlook 1
S I bought the office 2010 version without the outlook licens.__ Using Outlook 1
J outlook 2010 download erase the details from my beta version? Using Outlook 2
S Removal of Beta Test 2010 Office eliminated my 2007 version as well. Huge OneNote files now unavailable. Using Outlook 1
K Cant view folders set up on old version of outlook - and cant access mail sent to those folders . Using Outlook 1
O Inserting Picture into Email Signature on Outlook Version 9 Using Outlook 3