Log all types of connection to a mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christian Gregoire

Hello,

I want to trace all types of connection to a mailbox (OWA, Outlook Anywhere, ActiveSync, ...) to find the associated remote IP.

All I've found so far is to look at the security logs in the event viewer with id 4624, and parse the message field to extract the account name and source network address. Does it cover all types of connection (except POP and IMAP which are not anabled on my server) ? Is there any better other way to achieve that task ?

Thanks

Christian

G

Gen Lin

Hi,

You can use that Exchange User Monitor tool (ExMon) to detect the associated remote IP.

Using ExMon, you can view the following information:

• IP addresses used by clients
• Microsoft Office Outlook® versions and mode, such as Cached Exchange Mode and classic online mode
• Outlook client-side monitoring data
• Resource use, such as:
• CPU usage
• Server-side processor latency
• Total latency for network and processing with Outlook 2003 and later versions of MAPI
• Network bytes

ExMon measures only MAPI traffic and load on an Exchange server. It does not include or display data about other protocols, such as Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP), Distributed Authoring and Versioning (DAV), Outlook Web Access, Post Office Protocol version 3 (POP3), or Internet Message Access Protocol version 4rev1 (IMAP4).

Download link of Exmon

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=9A49C22E-E0C7-4B7C-ACEF-729D48AF7BC9&displaylang=en

How to use Exmon

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Microsoft-Exchange-Server-User-Monitor.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Diane Poremsky Use PowerShell to log into Office 365 Exchange New Slipstick.com Articles 0
P Log of Rules that ran Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Diane Poremsky Log Messages and Attachment Names New Slipstick.com Articles 2
R Exchange - Locating a user that has log files but is not found using powershell Exchange Server Administration 1
B Exchange 2010 / Outlook 20070 "client error in synchronization log" Exchange Server Administration 1
C can't log chats in outlook? Using Outlook 1
M Messaged sent time in outlook differ from exchange log Using Outlook 2
Fozzie Bear Outlook 2010 wont remember Exchange Credentials on log off /shutdown of Win7 Exchange Server Administration 2
G Outlook keep prompt for log in credential Using Outlook 1
J exchange 2010 error log Exchange Server Administration 0
B Trying to find & run Scanpst.exe. Outlook can't log onto server. Have removed update KB2412171 & it did not correct problem. Have done a resto Using Outlook 2
P DAG CONFIGURED Need to change the data base and log file location .What are the risk .And Steps to p Exchange Server Administration 3
P Exchange 2010 Backup using WSB not truncating log files Exchange Server Administration 5
T Outlook 2007 prompting users to log in Using Outlook 3
A Exchange 2010 DB - Unable to communicate with the Information Store to coordinate log truncation Exchange Server Administration 0
S Log Into Outlook Without Domain\Username Using Outlook 9
S exchange backup with dpm not truncating log file Exchange Server Administration 1
J Tool to analyze administrator and mailbox audit log entries Exchange Server Administration 1
V Extreme growing transaction log Exchange Server Administration 3
P Exchange 2010 - lost .log files and database .edb file refuses to mount Exchange Server Administration 1
J Move Transaction Log File Path Exchange Server Administration 1
M Exchange 2010 log error: MSExchangeMailboxAssistants 14029 FreeBusy Assistant Using Outlook 1
M eseutil Operation terminated with error -528 (JET_errMissingLogFile, Current log file missing) Exchange Server Administration 1
P transaction log Exchange Server Administration 5
X SCOM alert on Exchange 2010 - Alert: The database copy isn't replaying log files fast enough for the Exchange Server Administration 2
F Need to fill in the password each time when log into outlook Using Outlook 3
L Windows Instant Search Indexing not working need help reading Event Log Using Outlook 2
J Mailbox Audit Log Exchange Server Administration 5
C Why do I have a Synchronization Log and get mail to this multiple times per day and why did it just start a few weeks ago? Using Outlook 1
M Sync Issues - Syncronization log in Outlook 2007 after mailbox move to Exchange 2010 from Exchane 20 Exchange Server Administration 11
A Outlook cannot log on. Verify you are connected to the internet & are using the proper server & mail Using Outlook 1
R OWA log in as another account Using Outlook 2
N outlook won't save my email log in passwords Using Outlook 5
J Public Folders: Outlook 2007 gets "The set of folder could not be opened. The attempt to log on to M Using Outlook 2
A How do I change the date created for a phone log BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
R Phone Call Start Date - Phone Log BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
A When I log out of Outlook. The icon on the taskbar is greyed out and I am not able to activate/launch Outlook unless I reboot my PC. I have XP and am Using Outlook 2
B Good Call Log Concept? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Phone Log Reminder to call back BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
S Outlok 2007 add-in PJ Correspondence Log-How do I get it loaded? Using Outlook 7
L Re: Sharing database in network where computers have the same log- BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
E Project Management - Adding Folders for Different Folder Types Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
N Syncing my inbox not working for certain types of mail Using Outlook 9
R Outlook 2013 VB rule to auto save attachments with different file types Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
H Syncing multiple types of Outlook accounts across various devices/systems. Using Outlook 3
J How to create fields that will use the same value on different record types BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
T issue/ base and user defined contact types BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
H Better way of writing Macro? Identify multiple types of attachmen Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
R How to create a new form showing all types Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
W Encrypted connection to server refused Using Outlook 0