Have server reply using a specific message rule not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

C-M

I have several groups that want a way to send a reply to external customer requesting service that we are closed on holidays. Right now the way we do it is put a check in the group properties on the exchange server for " send out of office message to originator" before the holiday and remove it after. This works but is a pain having to enable it and disable it before and after every holiday otherwise if any one of the people in the group are out it will send a reply to our customers which we do not want.

I am trying to create a rule that will reply using either " Have server reply using a specific message" (preferred) or " reply using a specific template" but neither option seems to be working for external senders and only the 2nd option works for internal senders. I have enabled the " send out of office message to originator" on the exchange server just as a test to see if that made the replies work but it did not. I have also enabled " allow automatic replies" on the exchange server side under remote domains message format options.

So far the only thing that is (was, its not now for some reason) working is if I create the client side rule reply using a specific template and send the mail from an internal address it replies but from an external address the same rule does not reply. I even tried setting this rule to reply to everyone and ran the rule with no luck. What am I missing? this is NOT an out of office reply and will not be for the reasons stated at the top. Thanks for any assistance!

Oh this is Exchange 2007 with a mix of Office 2007 and 2010 clients.

C

C-M

I would rather make this work we want to enable the users to configure all of this then 1 user for the group would be responsible for enabling the rule just before they leave for a holiday. We are a very small IT department and the more we can empower the users the better.

I am perfectly fine with even having to use the client side rule " reply using a specific template" and telling them to lock their pc with outlook open if it would reply to outside email addresses but as of right now it is not doing so.

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Where are you creating this rule? It sounds as if you are attempting to create a rule based on messages sent to a DL rather then to a specific mailbox. I know you want to let the users do this, but a hub transport rule is a much sounder solution.

G

Gavin-Zhang

Hi C-M
Any update for your issue?
Andy gave some good suggestion.
Regards!
Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Auto modify an email used in 'Server reply using'. Using Outlook 1
M Have server reply using speciffic message Using Outlook 0
K on outlook 2003, how do I set up an out of office reply if I do not use the exchange server Using Outlook 2
A Server side auto-reply Exchange Server Administration 1
P Auto-reply email (without Exchange server) displaying error Using Outlook 5
J Stop details info reply from Exchange 2010 Server of undeliverable message to external recipent Exchange Server Administration 2
S Auto Reply Outlook 2007 (no Exchange server) does not work? Using Outlook 11
I I can receive emails, but not send, reply or forward them. Error message (0x80042109) unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) email server. Using Outlook 1
L Exchange 2010 Server not sending attachments on Outlook auto-reply rules. Exchange Server Administration 16
J Moved many emails to Outlook external folder, need to delete on Gmail server Using Outlook 13
icacream Enter your user name and password for the following server. Using Outlook 5
T How can Exchange be configured to sync/push one-way so that the server data can't be affected Exchange Server Administration 0
F outlook.com Exchane Server corrupts data Since September 2019 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
llama_thumper Setting up forwarders on Exchange server Exchange Server Administration 0
W Encrypted connection to server refused Using Outlook 0
B Server errors Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2016 Requesting data from server Using Outlook 0
R Copy Outlook Public Folders to a File Server Shared Folder Using Outlook 0
I IMAP - are emails dynamically fetched from server as required? Using Outlook 2
CWM030 Name Server's Exchange Server Administration 15
CWM030 Archiving ON the imap server Using Outlook 3
G How to have domain client use owa server instead of exchange server while connect to network Using Outlook 1
GaryW88 2016 Archiving IMAP keeping mail on Gmail Server Using Outlook 1
R Would creating a new profile cause Outlook to download all the old mails from the server? Using Outlook 1
P Microsoft Outlook is requesting data from the server Using Outlook 2
J Old unread emails on current date (MDaemon Server) Using Outlook 1
E Duplicate, nested account folders on ATT server Using Outlook 10
Cdub27 Your changes to this item couldn't be saved because Server Denied Operation (HTTP 403 Forbidden) Using Outlook 1
O Outlook 2016 0x800CCC0F 'The connection to the server was interrupted' Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
crazyboy Problems connecting to BCM on Server Using Outlook 2
M Problems Downloading Content from Server(s) Using Outlook 0
K IMAP Server Wants to alert you to the following: cannpt rename system folder Using Outlook 1
T Uploading Outlook 2016 Contacts to Exchange Server Drops "Company" field data in 30% of records Exchange Server Administration 4
Diane Poremsky Archiving Tools for Exchange Server New Slipstick.com Articles 4
Diane Poremsky Changing the Message Size in Exchange Server New Slipstick.com Articles 0
R Outlook 2007 - Shared Accounts and Resources without Exchange Server Using Outlook 0
J IMAP server Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Exchange Server Updates March 2016 New Slipstick.com Articles 0
J Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: cannot remove system folder Using Outlook 3
oliv- "Online mode with Exchange server" vs "online" Exchange Server Administration 2
W Deleting Emails from the Server in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
B Outlook not deleting messages from server Using Outlook 0
I Random Chinese characters in email copied from a pst file. Exchange Server 2016 Public Folder Exchange Server Administration 1
M Outlook 2010 Error: Your IMAP server closed the connection Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Save Sent Items in Shared Mailbox using an Exchange Server Cmdlet New Slipstick.com Articles 0
K IMAP Subfolders missing after migrating to new server Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Exchange Server and SMTP Servers New Slipstick.com Articles 0
J Leave mail on server when Outlook off Using Outlook 0
B Can't Connect to Office365 Exchange Server Exchange Server Administration 2
Ascar_CT Outlook.com transition to Exchange Server on the back-end Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0