We want to hide all calendar appointment details and only show free/busy times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jmarkh68

Our users can see the details of everyone's calendars if
they go to schedule a meeting request. We want this to only show the
free/busy times, not the actual subject and details of the
appointments. We're using Outlook 2003. I've looked all over and
haven't been able to find a solution to this. Currently, if I go to
my Outlook Calendar, File-> New Meeting Request, click on the
Scheduling tab, and start adding people to the list... I'm able to
view all the details of these people's appointments. What needs to be
done so that I am only able to view the blue bar showing they are busy
with something, but I don't want to be able to see the subject or any
details of their appointment.
We tried to go to Tools, Options, Calendar Options, Planner Options, and unchecked all
settings in that box. However, this did not seem to help. Do we need to do some kind of refresh? Is there more to it than this? Is there possible a setting on the Exchange server that needs to be changed?

I also tried changing 'Anonymous' permission's to 'none'. Other people have said this help them, but it did not help us.

S

Sembee [MVP]

The behaviour you are seeing is not the standard behaviour. By default all you should see is the free/busy information. Therefore the permissions must have been changed.
What was anonymous set to before? The default is none. Although internal users are NOT anonymous, they are autheticated.
Was is " Default" set to?

Which version of Exchange is this?

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

J

jmarkh68

Thank you for responding. Originally, we had did not have 'anonymous' listed and 'default' was set to 'reviewer'. We also had our all employee distribution list, 'D_All Employees', in the list and it was set to 'reviewer'. While trying to troubleshoot, we added 'anonymous' back by using PFDAVAdmin. We also changed all permissions (default and anonymous) to 'none' and removed the distribution list. These changes did not help.

S

Sembee [MVP]

You did mention Outlook version, I was asking Exchange version.

The reviewer permission was the cause of the problems for sure. That isn't the default setting and would cause the free/busy information to be viewed by everyone.

How long ago did you change that permission? Exchange caches permissions and it can take a while for that cache to flush.

Simon.

J

jmarkh68

I first made the change Friday. We have Exchange 2003. Thanks for continuing to help.

J

jmarkh68

Does it matter if I am using cached or non-cached. One article suggested non-cached. (for the client profile setup)

A

Allen Song

Hi,

It doesn't matter with cached or non-cached mode.

Allen

Allen Song

S

Sembee [MVP]

I would be looking for other permissions then.
Check whether users can open and view the contents of any other user (File, View, Other User's Folder). If they can do that, then look for what groups have Full Mailbox Access and/or Receive As permissions in ADUC.

Be very careful about removing permissions - the above two are the ONLY two that allow access to a mailbox. A common mistake is to try and remove " Read" or " Full Control" as seen through ADUC. That has nothing to do with mailbox permissions but is permissions to the AD object. Everyone must have Read to everything so they can read the permissions.

If you aren't sure, don't touch. Otherwise you could lock everyone out of the network.

Also remember that Exchange caches permissions, so a permission change can take 2 hours to be effective.

Simon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Ho do I hide the week number on the Calendar Printing Assistant template Calendar Printing Assistant 4
R Hide calendar Exchange Server Administration 2
S hide details of appointments in calendar Using Outlook 8
D hide messege issue Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2007 Hide Messages Option not Available Using Outlook 2
N How to disable shortcuts for Pilcrow in Outlook (Show or hide paragraph marks) Using Outlook 0
A Possible to hide ribbon with custom appointment form? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
D Disable or hide "reply" and "reply to all" and "forward" in email from access vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
K BCM hide subfolders BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
oliv- HIDE ITEM Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Hide Timestamp from deleyed message Using Outlook 4
I Outlook 2010 - Remove or Hide Suggested Contact Folders Using Outlook 1
K Hide Default Folders in PST Using Outlook 2
F Hide calendars from shared mailboxes Using Outlook 2
S Hide Folders in Outlook 2007 (IMAP) Using Outlook 5
C How do I hide distribution list from global contacts for certain users? Exchange Server Administration 1
T Is it possible to hide a mailbox but still send on the behalf of. Exchange Server Administration 1
H Outlook 2007 - hide completed tasks from Outlook Today -Solution Using Outlook 2
M Hide the 'To' in my Outlook email options Using Outlook 4
D Hide from Exchange Address list not working Exchange Server Administration 14
N Appointment Body on Custom Page 2- Hide Default Page Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
N How to hide pstStore Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
H Hide attachment... Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M hide outlook to system tray Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Can I hide an explorer or make an explorer modal Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
E Can I hide an explorer or make an explorer modal Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J How to hide/disable send button in Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J How to hide/disable send button in Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J How to hide/disable send button in Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Re: Hide BCM toolbar BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T How do I hide/unhide folders in outlook inbox? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
I Google Calendar <calendar-notification@google.com> appearing as a duplicate entry Using Outlook 0
L Sharing Calendar for Only Scheduling Using Outlook 2
S Excel VBA and shared calendar issue Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
E Work uses live accounts for emails for all employees. Can we use the outlook calendar to give the employees an universal work schedule calendar? Using Outlook 1
J O365 - Adding Shared Google Calendar ICS link issue in O365 Using Outlook 0
B Outlook Calendar not coming down from cloud Using Outlook 2
J Time Zone Issues - Outlook Calendar and Webcal Feed Using Outlook 8
N Backing Up Exchange Calendar Using Outlook 13
N Having Shared Calendar shift to Current day Using Outlook 0
K UDF with formula not showing on Calendar custom view. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M In Outlook Calendar remove the buttons: 'Today' and '<' (Back a day) and '>' (Forward a day) that are below the Ribbon and above the calendar display. Using Outlook 0
U Macro for reminders,tasks,calendar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
O Calendar - appointment templates and categories Using Outlook 1
HarvMan Outlook 365 Calendar Using Outlook 12
A calendar invites sent from Microsoft Outlook to Mac Outlook is not working Calendar Printing Assistant 3
P Categorize in Calendar not listed under tags in Office 365 (Office 2016) Using Outlook 5
O Export Outlook calendar appointments by filters and date range Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Weekend View in Calendar Using Outlook 1
D Add date next to day name in Outlook Today calendar view Using Outlook 1