Outlook 2010 Clients can't reply to emails or download offline address book? Hosted Exchange 2007

• Thread starter Nathan Brooks
  • Start date Views 5,038
N

Nathan Brooks

We have hosted exchange 2007 that we have recently upgraded from 2003. It is a single server environment running Outlook anywhere and separate address lists per company. We have all of our Outlook 2003 and 2007 clients working fine and they are pulling the correct address lists.

We are having a few issues with Outlook 2010 clients. They are unable to reply to any emails. As soon as they click send, they get the error " The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error, if the problem persists restart Outlook. Cannot resolve recipient." They are able to send any new emails.

Also, the users are unable to download their offline address book using send receive. They get an error " Task reported error (0x8004010F): The operation failed. An object cannot be found."

We have autodiscover setup on all the domains that we host using SRV DNS records, which works fine in outlook 2007. We have tested RPC over HTTP and Autodiscover using https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com. These have all passed. We are able to replicate this problem on multiple Outlook 2010 machines and multiple accounts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

J

James-Luo

This forum is for the issue on the on-premise exchange product which isn"t for commercial hosting solution. Microsoft Hosted Messaging and Collaboration (HMC) is the one, and here"s the contact information to support such hosted environment

James Luo

E

Eric McLain

After reading Nathan's post, I am finding that I'm in the same boat after migrating from Exchange 2003 to 2007. My 2003 and 2007 clients are pulling the address lists correctly, and are not having any issues. My 2010 clients are unable to reply to emails, and unable to pull down the address book. I am also using SRV records to redirect and locate autodiscover. The only difference I see with my issue is that I'm not " hosting" exchange, but rather segmenting my exchange address books by the multiple domains that we have for our child companies.

Can anyone assist?

Sincerely, Eric L. McLain

J

James-Luo

You also got the error when replied any message on the outlook 2010 client?

“The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error, if the problem persists restart Outlook. Cannot resolve recipient”

Does the issue happen on all outlook 2010 clients?

When you reply the message, please remove the recipients from “To”, “CC” fields, and then manually enter the email addresses of the recipients (Without using AutoComplete feature), see if the issue still appears

Please check the build number on the problematic outlook 2010. Mine is “14.0.5128.5000”, and it"s working well with message replying

As the issue only happens on the outlook 2010 client solely, I think there"s no malfunction on the exchange servers, otherwise, the symptom should appear on all outlook clients. For the issues on the outlook 2010, please use the “Outlook IT Pro Discussions” forum which would be the best place for it

E

Eric McLain

It's on all 2010 clients.

My build is the same as yours.

Removing the recipients from the fields and reentering the email addresses works fine without using autocomplete.

I'm not convinced that the error is client-related, since the OAB will also not load. GAL works fine, OAB does not. This did not appear to be a problem with exchange 2003, which is why I don't think it's a client-side issue.

Sincerely, Eric L. McLain

J

James-Luo

I see. So, the OAB issue only happens on outlook 2010 client than other client version?

Does the issue happen to internal workstation or external workstation (Outlook Anywhere)?

Please check if there"s any error event in the application log on the problematic clients and CAS servers

Resources:

Error message when Outlook synchronizes an offline address book with Exchange Server 2007 and Exchange Server 2010: " 0x8004010F"

Error when you try to send or to receive email by using Outlook 2010: " 0x8004010F: Outlook data file cannot be accessed"