Outlook 2007 Crashes Opening Scheduling Assistant On Some Client PC's

• Thread starter Paul A Collins
  • Start date Views 1,578
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul A Collins

HI,

I have an issue affecting a significant percentage of Outlook 2007 clients on my network. When I click the scheduling assistant either via a new appointment or by attempting to update an existing appointment. I see an hour glass for a few moments and then Outlook 2007 crashes and restarts. This doesn't impact all users, and if a user who is experiencing the issue uses a PC where the issue is not seen then the scheduling assistant works OK. So it would look like the error is tied to the PC not the user. The hotfix in kb958934 does not apply to me as this does not apply for R2 editions of Windows 2008 server.

Running Exchange 2010 SP1 on Windows 2008 R2 and Windows XP Sp2

If anyone has had a similar issue and resolved it then I would be interested in how you resolved this. Thanks in advance.

G

Gen Lin

Hi,

The problem may be in the user's windows profile. Please try to log into the PC which has problem with Scheduling Assistant by using another user account. If the problem does not happen, I recommend you create a new windows profile for the user:

1. Log into the PC by using another account with administrator privilege. Back up the user's personal files such as documents, music at c:\users\[user name].

2. Right click computer and choose properties.

3. Click Advanced system settings.

4. Click Advanced tab, under " User profiles" , click settings,

5. Delete the user's profile which has problem with outlook.

6. Once the user log into the PC, it will create a new windows profile.

Gen Lin

P

Paul A Collins

Thanks for the reply - I had already tried deleting and recreating profiles etc. I have after investigation narrowed this error down to a missing Windows update on my client pc's which had Outlook 2007 installed. The update described in this article which is applicable to a timezone change fixed the problem http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981793. Basically installed update on all clients and the problem is resolved.

I'm not sure why not having the patch causes outlook to completely crash.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.