Contacts List Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

frank warner

How can I transfer my Contacts information (name, email address, telephone number, etc. of my entire list) from one computer to another?

R

Russ Valentine

Contacts do not exist separately from the rest of your Outlook data. It is best to transfer all of your Outlook data so that Contacts will retain their connections to your other Outlook items. Is there some reason you only want to transfer Contacts?

Information on transferring your Outlook data file is posted here every day. The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored.

Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer:
Moving Outlook to a New Computer
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

Note that some of the information on the Microsoft page is outdated and contains errors, particularly when applied to Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010. Specifically:
1. Ignore any advice to copy your PST file to Outlook's default location to connect it to your profile. Doing so will often corrupt your Outlook profile. Copy it anywhere BUT the default location and then open it within your Outlook profile.
2. Ignore any advice that tells you to use export or import to transfer an entire Outlook data file. That has never been sound advice, but the process has become too deeply flawed to be trusted.

Also, when you use manual configuration for your mail accounts in Outlook 2010 (always preferable) it has a nice new option that lets you connect to a pre-existing data file when creating a new profile instead of having to jump through all the hoops of creating a new file, connecting to the pre-existing file, then disconnecting the new file.

Russ Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Changing the preferred order for "Put this entry in" list for adding new contacts to the Address Book Using Outlook 1
W Remove specific contacts from contact list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M I'm Having problems Moving Contacts to a New List Using Outlook 8
S Outlook.com birthdays show up 1 day late on iPhone contacts list Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 29
T Have Outlook 2016 suggest email address auto complete entries directly from the user's contacts list Using Outlook 10
T Have Outlook 2016 suggest email address auto complete entries directly from the user's contacts list Using Outlook 0
M How to remove a list of specific contacts from Outlook Using Outlook 18
N Importing Google contacts from CSV file removes recipient names in autocomplete list Using Outlook 0
M Contacts list not displaying Using Outlook 10
B How to restore a Contacts Group back into the Contacts list Using Outlook 1
Paul Butticaz Copying Contacts from SharePoint List (connected to Outlook) to another Conacts folder Using Outlook 1
yooper46 Removal of iCloud contacts in Outlook contact list Using Outlook 8
M add contacts to shared contacts distribution list Using Outlook 1
L Convert Distribution List of Contacts to Single Contacts Using Outlook 6
R Numbering Your Contacts List - Is There A Way? Using Outlook 2
E How to create contacts group list with IMAP/iCloud? Using Outlook 2
L Macro to Add Catgegory to List of Contacts Using Outlook 4
A In Contacts Phone List View, allow alpha jump w/single key, same as Card views Using Outlook 4
E My Outlook 2010 contacts list was hijacked! Using Outlook 10
S change default contact list in Outlook 2010 to "contacts" rather than "global" Exchange Server Administration 1
R Create a contacts list on Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 10
A Contacts not appearing either in address book or address list Using Outlook 5
C How do I hide distribution list from global contacts for certain users? Exchange Server Administration 1
K Master Category List / Contacts Public Folder Advice Using Outlook 4
P I have Outlook 2007 on a two year old computer running Vista. How do I copy my Outlook Contacts list and move them over to Outlook 2010 on a brand new Using Outlook 1
R Select contacts and print labels for selected contacts from complete contact list in Outlook. Using Outlook 1
N Business Contacts - Call list to include company name Using Outlook 2
D Upgraded from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007 lost my secondary contacts list Using Outlook 1
K Move non-duplicates contacts from 1 list to 2nd list in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
C duplicat contacts issues__Name does not show in the tasks list but shows everywhere else.__follow up date doe not place contact in task/to do list Using Outlook 5
J How can I sync LinkedIn contacts with information from the same people in my main contacts list? Using Outlook 1
C Can't add a shared contacts list as an e-mail address book Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2010 - distribution list from shared contacts Using Outlook 2
F Unble to view list in contacts Using Outlook 3
M Not able to select my contacts list for my address book Using Outlook 7
S Outlook 2010 / OCS 2007 R2 / SharePoint 2010 - Contacts for OC client from SharePoint External list Using Outlook 1
T How do i synchronize my outlook 2007 contacts with the contact list in live? Using Outlook 5
B Need to load my contacts list and information from my office outlook - older version to my home outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
F Adding groups of contacts to a Distribution List, by Company. Company column not available. Using Outlook 2
A not able to find Contacts when writing new email, even clicked the Searh Name button.__Try to set the address list or book, but nothing listed in the Using Outlook 1
B my Contacts - list phone deleted, I want Recovery my contacts Phone list. Using Outlook 1
R Auto create of an Outlook distribution list from a Contacts sub-folder Using Outlook 3
A Contacts resolving from local address book (not from Global Address List) Using Outlook 1
J 'Check Names' (Alt+K) not considering names in my Contacts list. Using Outlook 7
H contacts do not show in address book and the option to add contacts to the address book list is gray Using Outlook 2
N names appear in contacts list, but are not found when the email is sent. Using Outlook 13
J Contacts list is missing from Contacts folder Using Outlook 1
N How do I configure Outlook 2010 to search Local Contacts before Global Address List? Using Outlook 1
R how to copy a list of email contacts and paste them only as names (not names + email address) Using Outlook 12
Z Counting contacts on a MS Outlook DL list Using Outlook 3